Music Group (Behringer) Shuts down Tannoy's Scotland Manufacturing plant

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Elantric, May 8, 2016.

1. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

29th April 2016 by Jonathan Evans
    image: http://images.cdn.whathifi.com/site...y/tannoy_kensington_gr_pair.jpg?itok=ep7HpQxO

Parent company Music Group intends to make 70 employees redundant, and move loudspeaker production to a new facility in China...
    In a week where we published a glowing five-star review of Tannoy's Eclipse 3 floorstanders, Music Group has announced its intention to make around 70 Tannoy employees redundant from its Coatbridge plant in Scotland. These redundancies will mean the closure of the plant, with the production of Tannoy speakers moved to Music’s new manufacturing facility in Zhongshan, China. R&D and marketing activities will be moved to Music’s Innovation Centre in Manchester, UK.

Music Group, based in the Philippines, but with offices around the world, acquired Tannoy, a name synonymous with loudspeakers and a company celebrating its 90th birthday this year, in April 2015 from its former owner TC Group. At the time, Music Group founder and chairman Uli Behringer said: "We will invest heavily in positioning TC Group's brands at the very pinnacle of the industry."

The announcement was made to employees today, 29th April. Peter Sommer, senior vice-president Lifestyle & Home, said: “Following an extensive evaluation of our operational and financial structure, we have taken the difficult decision to propose that the staff in our Tannoy manufacturing and office facility in Coatbridge are dismissed as redundant, which, if confirmed would see the facility closed.”

Tannoy sales, orders and deliveries remain, we are told, unaffected.

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/news/tannoy...cotland-loudspeaker-plant#VOgUk3PvWQucKuXb.99

2. SteveO

SteveO Member

Behringer is the Wal-Mart of the music industry.

pomfret, JCM 800, Frankee and 2 others like this.
  3. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Harbor Freight I say.

4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Did Music Group realize they weren't going to get any sales from me, no matter what they did?

Once these big holding companies stink, I guess it stops mattering how much they stink.

5. SteveO

SteveO Member

HF for their products and Wallyworld for their love of outsourcing everything so that upper management can get bigger bonuses.

6. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

7. Boundcustom

Boundcustom Gold Supporting Member

They summed up their existence at NAMM this year by showing up with a giant booth that had not one product in it. Kinda saying we have nothing we are proud of....

Elantric and Tonekat like this.
  8. loudboy

loudboy Member

Tannoy has been pretty consistent in making great monitors for decades, I certainly hope it continues.

soli528 likes this.
  9. MR.K

MR.K Member

Several years ago I aquired a mono system put together in 1957, the old reciept was for $1,259.95. The speaker enclosure is a big mahogony corner unit, like a old Kilpsch. The Tannoy cost $159.00. The enclosure is 4 1/2 ft wide and 2 1/2 ft deep and almost 3 ft tall. Has a 15' Tannoy speaker w/ports. Beautiful sounding old school system.

10. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

This kind of narrow vision for profit before people is only going to
    stop when musician's who buy these products stop buying from
    companies that slash employees to make an extra 50 cents on
    their stock.

Corporations are agnostic - it's the musicians who cause this - with the
    ever increasing demand of wanting everything for practically nothing.

11. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Never happen, as the track record of Wal-Mart shows. They've been doing this for 30 years and their revenues only go higher. I doubt that your average musician is any more socially aware than your average Wal-Mart shopper. A few of us on forums might swear off Tannoy/Behringer for reasons like this, but the masses are going to Sweetwater or MF and happily buying cheap stuff. This will only change when the labor cost overseas rises to the point that offshoring is financially untenable.

By the way, the governments of western European countries don't help the situation much with their protective regulations. My company currently needs to hire in France, Germany, and Italy, but it looks like we'll put those roles in India instead, the reason being that the severance requirements in the EU are a nightmare. If you have to fire someone on the EU, you can be on the hook for an astonishing amount of severance pay.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  12. DanR

DanR Member

"We don't care and it shows..."

13. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Behringer has their own way of doing things, and keeping partners in the loop is not one of them. A good 15 years or so ago I was at either AES or NSCA, and Samson had a huge booth set up with Behringer products, being the NA distributor and all.
    Welp, two rows over was a Behringer booth besieged by Samson brass with their hands in the air. I guess Uli forgot to tell them that he was going to do his own distribution.

14. jota

jota Member

And they are the ones doing wrong?!

Peteyvee and Davy like this.
  15. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Is Alto the new Behringer ? When I see super low prices I just can't buy the stuff. I can't imagine it can be quality at these prices. Is Alto the result of Behringers success ? More junk or not that bad really ?

16. Papanate

People rage against Walmart - but many of those same people can be found
    happily grabbing the deals at the Walmart they so often post they hate.
    The fact is until we start look at the long term values of keeping people
    employed and paying a bit more so that employment can stay stable -
    we will continue down the economic rabbit hole where illusionary economies
    replace the real economies.

Yup...with good intentions they have extended the overreach into
    an area that benefits no one - and motivates very little in the way
    of new business development.

Pat Healy and derekd like this.
  17. Papanate

I personally don't like the way any of the Plastic Trapezoid boxes sound - JBL, Mackie, Behringer, EV or Alto.
    I especially dislike the way Alto and Behringer speakers sound. Alto popped up about 2000 or so - I thought
    they were a Guitar Center house brand - but I can't find any connection. I also thought like you that Alto was
    comically the budget version of Behringer - (seriously how bad is it when a budget company has another lower
    tier/lower budget than their already low tiered/low budget gear?) - but I couldn't find a connection there.

18. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

FWIW - Alto is part of InMusic who also owns NuMark, Alesis, Akai, ION, Denon, Marantz, and MAudio too

Lots of badge engineering, where one product is sold under various brand labels - thus the Alto / Alesis Powered PA cabs looking so similar.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InMusic_Brands

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  19. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

:huh So musicians are bad for demanding lower prices, but the corporations are bad when they comply by slashing employees in order to lower prices and maintain their profits?

The reality is that all buyers (not just musicians) want to get as much as they can for their money and all sellers want to maximize their profits, and neither side really cares how this is accomplished. It's been that way since cavemen started trading and it's never going to change.

pomfret likes this.
  20. Papanate

That circular logic is an economic trap from which there is no escape.
    You can't keep going both ways and be stable over the long term.
    Something has to give and it will be the structure of our economy.

You end up with worse products delivered at stupid low prices.
    Look at the Airlines - sitting in a 6 inch wide coach seat is where
    that kind of economic thinking goes.

And therein lies the problem that is the root of our entire knuckle headed
    economy. I personally think we should care that because we are only willing
    to pay $125 for a speaker that 90 people are going to be put out of a job.
    I'm not saying that corporations greed doesn't contribute - but that kind of
    circular economy will eventually not have any consumers because no one
    will have a stable job - because jobs get exported to countries that pay
    barely a wage. Eventually no one will be left to buy.

Pat Healy likes this.