Music / guitar shop employees: Best and Worst

Jonny D

Who was the best music shop employee that you dealt with?

Who was the worst music shop employee that you dealt with?

bgh

Silver Supporting Member
Steve, at our local music store, was a joy to deal with. Whenever I went in, he and I would bat the breeze for a while. Very nice fellow. But, his mother took very ill and he had to quit so that he could care for her. The other guys in the store are nice, but I sure miss Steve being there.

Multicellular

One guy at guitar center that just openly makes fun of people demoing stuff.

I was checking a guitar once for any dead spots or uneven frets, ya know, playing each note one each string, and he told me there was a much easier way to play scales he could show me.

I was surprised to see him playing one day and to find out he is horrible, moving his hands really fast but really not fretting the notes properly so it is just a mess of string buzz...

Heinz57Pep

Best, too many to name. All tied for the top, if you will.

Worst, don't deal with 'em long enough to know their name.

StompBoxBlues

One guy at guitar center that just openly makes fun of people demoing stuff.

I was checking a guitar once for any dead spots or uneven frets, ya know, playing each note one each string, and he told me there was a much easier way to play scales he could show me.

I was surprised to see him playing one day and to find out he is horrible, moving his hands really fast but really not fretting the notes properly so it is just a mess of string buzz...
Just recently saw the Seinfeld with "Milos" the tennis "pro" that couldn't play.
Reminded me of your experience :)

TB72

As far as worst, I'll agree with Heinz57Pep. I put the bad ones out of sight and out of mind pretty quickly...no use wasting time stewing about it.

As for best, I had a really nice visit to Mandolin Brothers a few years back (I was on my honeymoon in NYC...my wife even enjoyed the store).
After chatting with Stan Jay for awhile, he said, "Well, you can't have traveled this far and NOT play some of these cool guitars." He proceeded to hand me a '53 Les Paul. I played a bunch of fine instruments that day. I didn't buy a guitar, but I picked up a bunch of swag for myself and some guitar-loving amigos.

Trending Topics