Music Man amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by humbert, Jul 27, 2006.

1. humbert

humbert Member

I'd just like to get to know a little bit more about them before I take the big plunge. I'm familiar with their history, and I've played a Music Man HD-130 head -- I daresay I liked it as much or better than my Dual Showman. A little EL34 bluesy crunch and reverb go a long way to help me love it, solid state preamp be damned!

If you knowledgeable gearpagers would post some of your experiences with MM and its tube amps, like the HD-130 and HD-65, I'd appreciate the input!

-Tim

2. hasserl

hasserl Member

An old bandmate has a RD100 1-12 combo w/ EVM12L, it is an awesome amp (though the power section is a bit strange, a hybrid tube ss design pulling 100 watts from a pair of EL34's and transistors in some kind of strange cascode circuit I really don't understand). Many folks do not like the distortion from these amps, it is not objectional to me. The clean is fantastic. The speaker is probably a big part of that great sound, but it does make the amp very heavy.

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

We just played with Brooklyn psych-folkies Oakley Hall (fantastic group, btw) and they all played through MM amps - even the bass player! The singer played a Guild Starfire through his, and it sounded great.

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I had a RD11250 combo in blond for several years. It had the EV speaker in it and weighed a ton. The tone was OK, not quite Fender but nice.

The thing was a volume monster and had no trouble keeping up with a Bandmaster and a 4x12 cab.

Good Luck

5. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I have a HD-130 head and every time I plug it in, I wonder why I want to sell it. or wonder why I don't use it more often. The clean, fat bluesy tone is awesome, as it hangs in there up til about 102db. :D

I basically dont play clean, but this head takes pedals better than many of the amps I have.

6. Adam Spencer

Adam Spencer Member

I had an RP115-100, built originally for pedal steel I think:

One hundred watts through a 15" EV speaker - very loud and very clean, definitely would have kept it if space wasn't an issue in the house...

Adam

7. HHB

HHB Member

my first new amp was a MM HD130 112 w/ EV ( the 130/112 configuration was offered w/ EV only ), a fantastic amp that could do a great hard rock tone as well as a nice clean. I used to turn the phasor on and stop the sweep w/ the pull out knob, I could get a really nice hard rock tone w/ the preamp dimed, believe it or not I used to whirl around and reverse my pre and master as my channel switching LOL, wish I still had it

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The 130 watt monsters seem to be the most liked and still used by cats like Albert Lee, Waddy Watchel, Red Volkert... That said, their lower wattage combos are also excellent. You need to be careful w/ power tubes as the plate voltages can be VERY high on some models. Other than that, very good sounding, reliable, well-built amps...

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

The HDs are real tube amps, the RDs are hybrids and are very different.

I had two MM HD combos, a 2x10 and a 2x12. Both were great clean and had a workable overdrive. Built like a tank and totally reliable, but they were relatively noisy at idle and did not do modern gain tones.

Definitely worthwhile if the price is right.

stratzrus

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

11. cameron

cameron Member

They're all hybrids in the sense that they have solid state preamps, and tube power sections. Some of the amps also had a 12AX7 tube acting as a phase inverter. But the preamp gain stages were all solid state. I think some of the Bass amps were solid state all the way. I don't think there was a difference between the amps labeled HD and RD with regard to whether the 12AX7 was present or not. Some amps had the 12AX7 in early designs, and then had it replaced by a solid state component, with the model name remaining unchanged.

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

stratzrus,

The RD I had was 6L6 powered and had a couple 12AX7's. I've heard before that these were hybrid amps. Were the 12AX7's for the reverb & tremolo?

I bought mine new in '83.

Thanks

13. cameron

cameron Member

None of the Music Man amp models had more than one 12AX7.

14. ROKY

ROKY Member

Not to derail the thread, but
    You might also like an older Traynor(Canada) YGL-3 head

In the vein of a Twin Reverb but with EL34s instead of 6L6s

I have a head and a 2x12 combo version(and other Traynors)

Very nice crunch also.

15. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Thanks, cameron.

16. James

James Member

I had an RD50 head a few years back that I got for a song. I should've kept it - the clean tone wasn't bad and it had a decent reverb...

dang...

17. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I'll revive this thread. I just picked up a mid-1970s "65 212" (1 12AX7 and 2 EL-34s) for $150 and what a find! I've been looking for a silver face Princeton, Deluxe or Pro Reverb to get Fender tones and saw this amp in a garage at an open house while out house hunting. The owner of the house had mentioned that he was going to have a garage sale and I asked him if he was going to sell the MM amp too. The amp is in pristine shape and he knew he could get more for it but he didn't want to hassle with ebay. Great Fender tones, reverb and tremolo. Anyone know what the original EL-34s were in these amps? This one has Sylvanias, I doubt the owner ever changed them.

18. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Supporting Member

It's basically a "grounded grid amplifier" (not reeeeally a true cascode). What makes it strange is that it's a hybrid, using transistors to drive the cathodes. It is pretty efficient (the 750 volt plate supply helps...), and the only problem with it is when a power tube buys the farm, it can kill the driver transistors.

Awesome clean tone , use a distortion pedal if you want overdrive....or modify it..... :dude