Music Man frets...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KazJY, Jun 11, 2008.

1. KazJY

KazJY Member

My buddy has one of the last of the Eddie Van Halen-branded EBMM (Now Axis) models - and he has to get it refretted already (it is one of 6 guitars he owns). I saw a YouTube clip of Steve Morse and Sterling Ball chatting about the Morse Model, and Steve was on his 9th set of frets.

What's the scoop? Do they really wear out that quick? I wonder what the alloy is, if this is the case. My friend called Music Man, and they just said that the frets are "proprietary" to the guitar, so he has to pick out frets from scratch if he doesn't re-order the same stuff from them, apparently.

I am thinking of picking up a Music Man sometime, but I don't want the $400 fret-job maintenance. It might be worth it though...

2. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Steve got the #1 Morse model in 1986 I believe, so those 9 sets of frets spanned 20 years of 200 gigs a year and endless practice. 2 years for a set of frets to be worn down on a guitar that sees that kind of use by a professional/perfectionist like Steve doesn't sound crazy to me.
    FWIW I have a Sterling bass that I bought used in 1994 and have played at least 500 gigs with, and the original frets are still in pretty good shape.

3. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I know I have never had a problem out of any of mine, I had a an earlier 91' model the guitar stood up better than my Fenders that I was switching playing time around with.

4. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

EBMM make good stuff.. nothing wrong with the frets.... having said that I recently refretted my Luke with larger stainless steel fretwire and its fantastic now... it wasn't because the original frets had worn out.. they were just not big enough.

5. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

I've yet to refret my EVH from '93, although it's due now. If your friend's guitar is an EVH, it's at least 13 years old. I don't know that I'd say "already" when talking about a 13-year-old guitar.

But on the other side of this coin, EBMM will refret the guitar for you for $120 with a week turnaround time. That's pretty damn good.

6. musicman1

musicman1 Member

No problem here with either MM gtr I have. And I agree with Ratter that the company will do re-frets and does it for a very reasonable cost. You only pay for shipping to them. My tech averages around $300.00 or more for new frets.