Music Man HD-130 410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kidmandude, Sep 21, 2008.

1. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

These amps are a pretty good buy, from what I can tell.

Question, these have 4 EL34 power amp tubes, and a 1/2 power switch the lowers it to a wamping 60 watts. Now could you pull 2 of the EL34's and even lower the volume down even more? Maybe it will sound even better/ Any opinions would be great..

Thanks..

2. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Maybe, but... Music Man's run really high voltages in them, something like 700 volts on the EL34 plates... I'd worry that by decreasing the load on the system, that voltage would rise for the remaining two output tubes...

I used to own a 2-12 HD-130 and never tried it... but I can say the low power switch didnt make much difference.

3. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

Yeah I was checking one out and def dont need that volume putting out, for anything. My buddy has a 4x12 Fender Combo its huge and very loud i forgot the name of that amp its massive! I read these Music Man amps are louder! Thats face peeling loud!

4. winonatele

winonatele Member

I have a HD-130 head with 6CA7 power tubes. I haven't had much of a chance to use it as I'm still looking for a cab, but it is a pretty good sounding amp at 1/2 power into a 2x12 cab.

I think the 1/2 power switch just knocks the voltage down to relatively normal levels and it still uses all four power tubes.

5. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

a Music Man 2-12 Ported and a 4-12 HD that need a home.
    Rob