Music man J. Petrucci or Ibanez JS1200?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gigino, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Gigino

Gigino Member

I'd like to buy a rock guitar with floating bridge and double humbucking. I was thinking to buy one of these two guitars. What do you suggest?

2. bullet69

bullet69 Member

no brainer music man all the way.

3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Neither!
    You will be spending more money on the signature name than anything else. I fell into the trap once before myself. Now I'm a little older and a littler wiser and realize that buying signature stuff doesn't always cut it. You will better off buying something else.

4. axpro

axpro Member

Personally, i much prefer the Music Man, but it is not a locking trem... it is pretty much a modern re-work of a vintage trem. Very comfy, smooth as hell, but not the same as afloyd rose at all!

5. Gigino

Gigino Member

No problem....I don't need a locking trem!

Have you some other suggestion?

6. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

JP by far...
    And you can beat the piss out of the trem with no problems.
    Steve

7. carltonh

carltonh Member

Another vote for the Music Man if choosing one of those. But when I think of these guitars, I'd also say to look up Vigier. I occasionally see great deals on these used.

8. TBone

TBone Member

Definately the Petrucci MM.
    Had one custom made - incredible guitar.

Tbone

9. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I'd have to say that while Petrucci (and also Steve Morse and Albert Lee for that matter) may be compensated for the use of their names, there is NO better value in american made assembly line instruments than Ernie Ball / Music Man. The EBMMs that can be bought new for less than $1500 street price have no equal in the market, provided that they are your cup of tea.

I've never bought anything because it had an artist's name attached to it, but I have purchased a couple of "signature" guitars because they were great guitars. Yeah, there is a lot of junk out there being passed off as "signature" instruments, but in the case of EBMM the artists are extremely involved with the design process and they actually use the guitars they endorse as their main instruments.

Follow this link to a very cool site with video clips of Steve Morse and Sterling Ball.

http://www.ernieball.com/smy2d/main.html

10. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Check out the Silhouette Special from EB/Musicman. You can get a good used one on EBay for $600-700 and it's like stealing. Swap out the bridge humbucker for the pickup of your choice(I use a Duncan JB) and your gtg. Very light/comfortable guitar with an AMAZING neck. I ordered mine special to get the color I wanted(carbon blue pearl/maple neck) and it's been my number 1 ever since. The tremolo is more vintage but it comes with locking tuners and stays in tune extremely well. It's a very high quality instrument at a great price. I'm waiting for the Suhr silent system to come out as a seperate set then I'm going to change out the single coils(nice tones from them but noisy).
    I play mostly old school metal(maiden, lynch mob, etc) as well as blues and the guitar handles both very well.

11. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Maybe this is the reason for my opinion then. I didn't like the Petrucci model at all. The neck felt very small and the overall tone was lacking in my opinion. Maybe you might like it, but it's not for me.

12. ungarn

ungarn Member

EBMM Petrucci is a GREAT guitar...buy you can save some bucks with a Silhouette...they practically play themselves...

Good luck!

13. jlf2960

jlf2960 Member

I would go for the Petrucci but the neck on the JS1200 is thicker. The neck on the EBMM JP is extremely thin. You can get the action ridiculously low on the EMBB JP without any buzz. The pickups on the JP are at a set height and are screwed in directly to the body.