Music Man owners: a question about their necks

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BlueHeaven, May 2, 2015.

1. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

On the Music Man site it mentions that their necks are more sensitive to temperature/humidity changes because they're unfinished. Just how sensitive are they and what would be the result? I've kind of zeroed in on a Reflex to be my main humbucker guitar but I'm not much of a self maintenance kind of guy. One more thing related to this: if I buy used (or NOS) and they didn't keep up with any sort of neck treatment maintenance would I have any worries?

Please excuse the possibly dumb questions but not being able demo a guitar before buying unnerves me. Thanks

2. musicman1

musicman1 Member

They're not. My MM necks very seldom ever need adjustment and like to be set really flat and straight. That's a result of their excellent fret work. In the many years Ive owned 2 MM gtrs, Ive never re-applied any gun stock wax or anything and they play great.

3. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Thanks, that's great to hear!

4. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

My Albert Lee neck needed a turn of the truss rod every season change. More than any other guitar I've owned. I loved it though. Traded it on a PRS that I did not bond with. I still watch for that old AL.

5. dcarroll

dcarroll Member

Just got a music man luke III. Awesome solid neck, totally recommend one.

6. Strathog

Strathog Supporting Member

Depends where you live and how much the guitar is subjected to temperature and humidity changes.

7. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Well, the humidity it would be exposed to would be a bit of a variable, I baby my stuff as far as temperature exposure goes.

8. custom53

custom53 Member

Same with all of my EBMM guitars...^

9. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I liked the Silo Special neck carves but not the asymmetrical Axis carves. I did have one Silo neck twist/warp a bit on me, and I was pretty religious about adequately cleaning and applying fresh Tru-Oil as per their recommendation. It was around the 3rd/4th fret. A proper fret leveling would probably compensate for it as it wasn't extreme, just enough that a good set up wouldn't correct it. That guitar, as much as I loved it when it was right, was nothing but trouble. My other Silo, which I wasn't crazy about the sound of, even after pickup swaps, was perfect to play, probably my personal best ever.

As nice as a thin coat of Tru-Oil feels, I wouldn't own another.

10. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    I have had a few Axis over the years, the current one I have has been with me since 2009. I havent noticed any change at all. I havent applied any gun stock or anything else for that matter. Guitar is a 97 and has traveled from Chicago to Sydney, no issues.

11. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Some widely different experiences.

12. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Supporting Member

No issues with my Silhouette Special and I've had it since 2006. I'll apply the gun stock oil/wax combination maybe once a year or when the neck feels dry.

13. Qmax

Qmax Member

My '91 EVH moves around a bit, but my Albert Lee didn't budge. :dunno

14. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Member

My 2001 Axis Super Sport required a tweak here and there (more often than my other guitars), even with a Tru Oil and Wax treatment once a year. Nothing major though and always super easy to dial in with the truss rod wheel adjuster at the heel end of the neck.

15. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

My main EVH started out in Houston and then spent 10 yrs. in the DC area. Seven yrs. in AZ and it's been fine. I've made slight adjustments every once in a great while, but nothing major. My Axis tribute has been in AZ for almost three yrs. and hasn't needed any adjustment.

16. luv

luv Member

My Reflex takes a tweak every spring when it gets rainy in Denver. Nothing major, but usually does require a slight adjustment. Fantastic guitar!

I've owned 7 or 8 Music Man's over the years.

I oil and wax mine once a year. I like the process.

17. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

I gots two. No issues at all

18. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

When I had my Petrucci, it had more neck issues than my other guitars. That's all I know

19. Russ73

Russ73 Member

Ive been playing MM guitars since the mid 90s, currently have 3, no issues ever, if you do need a bit of relief or otherwise its an easy turn with the wheel at the bottom of the neck but mine haven't budged and I live in NY...

20. jazzwannabe

jazzwannabe Supporting Member

My Silo Special needed a minor adjustment late last fall for the first time in about 9 years. Started storing it in its case after that instead of leaving it out on a guitar stand, and it has stayed solid. Never done the wax/oil maintenance since I've owned it, and it remains the best instrument I've ever had.