• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Music Man Silhouette players?

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
These are very nice guitars but they are a great bargain on the used market.

straycat113

I guess you never owned an EBMM guitar as they are famous for their necks which are basically unfinished. They make great guitars and if you buy one you will more than likely own 3 or 4 very fast lol. xojojox makes a very good point as a Silo is a model you could get for a lot cheaper on the used market-check the For Sale thread on the EBMM forum.

Like straycat113 mentioned, the neck on the Silo has a wax finish that feels like bare wood. It's also got a nice profile, more beefy than a typical Strat. Silos typically go for $800-$1000 on the used market so if you're not picky about the color or having birdseye maple, you'll save more than a few coins by going used. I had a Silo that was absolutely beautiful and felt nice but sold it because I thought the frets were too small and I hated the stock Dimarzio pickups. YMMV

Average Joe

Interesting that Ballistic find the necks bigger that strats. My experience, and the reason I don't have a Silo is that they feel distincly smaller. In terms of quality you can't go wrong with them, and I really like the look as well, but I never could get into what I percieved as those small necks

grungebob

Like others have mentioned there is absolutely no need to sand down the neck, the necks on EBMM guitars are fantastic, smooth satin feel almost like bare wood.

I've had loads of strats over the years and the necks are not smaller. I think because the feel is a much rounder C profile it can give the impression its a narrower neck but the width at the nut is the same as most strats i've had, I've not checked if the string spacing is the same but it feels it to me.

Again go used if your not set on a particular colour as they are a 2nd hand bargin!

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
Love that color! If that is your color and neck preference then yes, pull the trigger and buy it.
If you're not picky about the color, I agree with everyone else and pick up a used one.
Here's the thing, though. Those who buy EBMMs tend to keep them. If you're looking for something very specific, you could be waiting a long time for a used one to pop up.
Fabulous guitars! They easily hold their own compared with high end Fenders an the like.
Buy it!

Blue4Now

Gold Supporting Member
for me Silo's are the best when oit comes to bolt beck guitars, and the big part of that for me is the neck, just feels amazing in my hands. otherwise the quality is top nitch and the entire guitar just rocks. dont jump to change anything untill you live with it for a while, my silo is dead stock and staying that way.

you are actully looking at the silo special with is 22 fret SSS config, I have a Silo 24 fret HSH config. both awesome just different.

Blue4Now

Gold Supporting Member
Like straycat113 mentioned, the neck on the Silo has a wax finish that feels like bare wood. It's also got a nice profile, more beefy than a typical Strat. Silos typically go for $800-$1000 on the used market so if you're not picky about the color or having birdseye maple, you'll save more than a few coins by going used. I had a Silo that was absolutely beautiful and felt nice but sold it because I thought the frets were too small and I hated the stock Dimarzio pickups. YMMV
interesting, the frets on my silo are at least medium if not medium-jumbo

mikeller

interesting, the frets on my silo are at least medium if not medium-jumbo
They spec on music-man.com as medium width high profile.

Great guitars btw - there is a fairly rare Silhouette for sale on the EBMM forum right now...

John C

Gold Supporting Member
That looks like some kind of special run for GC in the colors EBMM was using for the Sting Ray Classic basses so it may well have a finished neck (kind of looks like it from the photos). Hell, EBMM hasn't used a neck that figured on a Silo Special since the mid-90s when they first came out (I've owned 3 over the years - 2004, 2007, and 2010 models - and all had plain rock maple necks) so it has to be some kind of special run.

tone?

I have played that exact guitar and the neck IS finished
Felt good
And the guitar sounded awesome

I still prefer unfinished
This one felt like nitro actually

Cheers

straycat113

I was just going to ask that very question Mike. As John pointed out that is a GC special run of which EB has been doing a lot of lately. I am glad that EB has formed a good relation with GC as their whole line of guitars are truly outstanding and up until just a few years ago it was very hard to just walk in a store and play one, even here in NY. If there is one knock on them it will usually deal with neck size 90% of the time and the fact they do not offer any options. I have thick hands with average sized fingers and every model fits like a glove for me except for the JP, which has a very thin Ibanez Wizard style shred neck.

Interesting that Ballistic find the necks bigger that strats. My experience, and the reason I don't have a Silo is that they feel distincly smaller. In terms of quality you can't go wrong with them, and I really like the look as well, but I never could get into what I percieved as those small necks
EBMM necks are on the narrow side, but I think the perception of them being smaller than, say, a typical Strat is because they have a small headstock, a round back, and a contoured heel. The decreased string tension also gives the impression that the neck is a smaller scale.

Average Joe

Like others have mentioned there is absolutely no need to sand down the neck, the necks on EBMM guitars are fantastic, smooth satin feel almost like bare wood.

I've had loads of strats over the years and the necks are not smaller. I think because the feel is a much rounder C profile it can give the impression its a narrower neck but the width at the nut is the same as most strats i've had, I've not checked if the string spacing is the same but it feels it to me.

Again go used if your not set on a particular colour as they are a 2nd hand bargin!
EBMM necks are on the narrow side, but I think the perception of them being smaller than, say, a typical Strat is because they have a small headstock, a round back, and a contoured heel. The decreased string tension also gives the impression that the neck is a smaller scale.
Interesting. Thanks. It might be that they are a bit narrow or maybe it's just the carve, and that that is what I picked up on. They are fine instruments to be sure

daveS

lefty dude on hiatus
Platinum Supporting Member
Ive had the Axis SS and Silhouette Special for years and they are exceptional. If you dig smaller, lightweight guitars with smaller necks that have and unfinished, fast feel to them, EB guitars are the sweet spot for that. Incredible quality too.

Trending Topics