Music Man Silhouette Special neck thickness?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by iggs, Mar 12, 2008.

1. iggs

iggs Member

Hey all,

wonder if somebody with this guitar can do me a huge favor and post neck thickness at nut and 12th fret.

Thanks!!!

:BEER

2. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I just restrung both of mine. Next restring I'll measure them and will post findings. They're hand finished/sanded and can vary from one to another. One of mine feels quite a bit smaller than the other.

3. DanielT2

DanielT2 Member

This has been quoted at the EBMM guitar forum, see if you can find it.
    I think it was around .818 at the 1st fret and .930 at the 12th.

4. iggs

iggs Member

Thanks!

5. John C

John C Supporting Member

I don't have calipers to measure mine but that sounds like it should be right based on feel and comparison to other guitars with posted neck specs that I've owned.

Before I had my Silo Special I had a Grosh with their medium roundback (.830 at the 1st and .930 at the 12th) and a Suhr with their "Vintage '60s C Standard" (.810 at the 1st and .930 at the 12th) and the Silo Special felt the best up near the nut (Grosh was good but a bit too fat; Suhr was a bit too thin), but all were about the same from the 12th on down. Also, the Grosh was the same nut width as the EBMM - they both use 1.626" as their 1 5/8" nut width; Suhr uses 1.650" (as does Anderson and Fender).

6. iggs

iggs Member

Thanks! I'm looking into a Grosh and trying to figure out which neck to get.
    I had a Silo and liked the neck a lot but felt it could've been a bit thicker ... sounds like the Grosh Medium Roundback may be the ticket ... even Medium/Large... not sure yet.

7. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I actually tried to finagle a measurement with the strings on yesterday, and sliced my right thumb open in the process (caliper edges and points are sharp!) But I agree that the measurements sound about right. Oh, and you'll be hearing from my attorney! j/k

If you've never played one, try to get your hands on one. Awesome necks, unless you like 'em fat. But like I said, they can vary in girth.

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

Anyone know if EBMM will do a custom neck? I love these guitars but would want a neck larger than 1" at the nut.

9. John C

John C Supporting Member

No, EBMM is a production shop and each model pretty much has it's one neck shape and that is it.

10. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I had a Silhouette Special for about 4 years and just loved the neck on that guitar. I got a Suhr S2 with the 60's C Standard neck(.810 to .930) and it feels slightly fatter than my old Silhouette. It could be the shape of the back is slightly different or my memory just sucks! I like both necks about the same though and they are very similar.