Music Man Stingray guitar and the dreaded tremolo bridge

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fendervox, Feb 21, 2017.

1. fendervox

fendervox Member

Hoping someone can ease my mind here. I am a huge Ernie Ball Music Man fan. I used to own a Silhouette Special (hard tail), which I loved, but had to sell for financial reasons. I don't want another Silhouette because I assume it won't compare. Anyways, I've been obsessed with the idea of the Stingray guitar for awhile. The problem is that I cannot stand tremolo bridges. I will avoid them as much as possible, and it is what has prevented me from buying the Stingray. Anyways, browsing eBay the other day I got a deal I couldn't refuse, and bought a Stingray. I'm having a little buying remorse here, worried that I won't be able to like the tremolo bridge.

My biggest problem is the tuning issues. On a strat I had, if I dropped D, I'd spend the next five minutes retuning the rest of the guitar. That doesn't happen on my hard tail Paul Reed Smith. So, my biggest concern is the the tuning stability.

The guitar should arrive next week. Until then, I'm going to be a paranoid mess. Could anyone help ease my mind who has experience with tremolo bridges, preferably the Music Man ones in particular. I'll really appreciate. Thanks!

2. DrewH

DrewH Member

MM has the most stable 2 point non locking bridges in the industry. Feel better?

Jven, Coach T. and frankencat like this.
  3. fendervox

fendervox Member

Slightly yes. I've read a lot about stability, but am not sure exactly how it relates to the bridge. Does stability refer to the ability to stay in tune during bends, after tuning, etc. I trust Music Man, maybe it's just the crappy trem bridges I've used in the past.

4. aldridt1

aldridt1 Member

I am not familiar with the MM tremolos, but even so, if you have the bridge set up so that it floats, then you will not likely be able to avoid tuning issues when you go to drop D or any other alternate tuning.

You can always block it, or get a tremol-no.

Editing to add that you should in no way be intimidated by the tremolo. They are very easy to deal with once you take a little bit of time to figure it out.

HTSMetal, kushman and Befuddled like this.
  5. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

There are always options like getting a pro setup, replacing it with another part, blocking it, staytrem, etc

kushman likes this.
  6. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

That's the nature of any floating trem. Why not just learn to handle them instead of fearing them? :)

kushman likes this.
  7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

I have a Stingray and it has one of the best trems in the industry. You can always just deck the bridge which is how they come from the factory. Get it setup right and you shouldn't have any tuning issues.

Sociophile likes this.
  8. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

Stingrays come decked. My MM has the same bridge and I have zero issues. If you do, you can add springs or block it. I'll bet you won't need to, though.

Sociophile and Cal Webway like this.
  9. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

Your going to really enjoy your new Stingray. They come set up with the tremolo decked so you'll have no problems with changing tunings.

10. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

The last 3 posters are correct...they come from the factory decked. Leave the bar in the case and your tuning will be exceptional. If you want to use your tremolo you will still have great tuning stability especially if you stretch out new strings and use a nut lube.

kushman likes this.
  11. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

BTW, I am also a hardtail guy and have been for years. That being said my Stingray in my #1.

12. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

My Strat stays exceptionally in tune.
    Decked/blocked.

13. kushman

kushman Member

that just sounds funny

:roll

14. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Yeah, I considered tossing in an lol or something but thought "nah we're adults here". Guess I was wrong :D (jk)

kushman likes this.
  15. fendervox

fendervox Member

This thread has been really reassuring.

I believe this is the right approach. It's just been one of those things where it doesn't match my play style at all, so I saw it as pointless, and I also didn't like the idea of how much extra wood was taken out of the guitar to accommodate a tremolo bridge.

This is ideally what I'd like to do. Leave the trem bar in the case and just forget about the fact that it is a tremolo bridge. I'll update once I get it and have had it for awhile. Knowing me I'll fall in love with them and 'need' to buy several more guitars haha.

16. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

If you find that the bridge is lifting off of the 'deck' on some of your 2 step bends, just tighten the spring claw a little until it stops.

17. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

At least on my factory stock Stingray, I do Albert King overbends and oblique bends all the time with no sag whatsoever.

18. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

The trem on the Stingray sits flat against the body so it doesn't float and the guitar stays in tune as well as any trem on the market.
    BTW, it can be set up to float.

[​IMG]

man_mars likes this.