Music Man Sub 1

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blue4Now, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

I have a line on one of these at a great price. Seems like a great USA made humbucker rock and Roll machine. Anyone have one and can shed some lite? Thanks

Only downside i see is that the body is poplar as opposed to alder or ash. Not familiar with the tonal properties of poplar.

2. rrhea

rrhea Member

I love mine! Just picked it up from a buddy for cheap. Check out my blog (third entry from the top) for a review.

It sounds and plays as good as any of my other guitars, in my opinion... and it will make a fantastic beater guitar for traveling and for gigs in "questionable" areas where I might not want to take a $3k guitar. ;)

RR

3. John C

John C Supporting Member

I'm going by memory here; Sterling Ball posted some info on the Subs on their forum a while back:

I belive they outsourced the necks but milled and finishted the bodies themselves - although it could be they just outsourced finishing the necks with that black satin finish. The only thing that lends credence to the "complete outsource" argument is the Gotoh Magnum locking tuners on the Sub instead of the typical Schaller locking tuners on the other EBMMs. I also believe they obtained the pickups from an overseas supplier, but they were custom maded for EBMM.

I know EBMM discontinued them because they wanted to keep the list price under a specific point and found they couldn't keep the costs down and continue to build them in the USA.

I've played a couple here locally; they are nice and I wouldn't mind having one myself for those occasional humbucker excursions (I'm pretty much a single-coil guy).

4. Blue4Now

Great, this is what I was wanted to hear. I will pick this one up. I was looking for a bit of variety and it was either this or a Gibson Faded SG. I think the SUB one is a better guitar.

5. Blue4Now

Hey RR just read your blog. Great info thanks. Is the pickguard metal or plastic?

6. rrhea

rrhea Member

Hey, no problem! Glad it helped. ;)

The pickguard is some kind of thin metal, probably aluminum that is applied to a cardboard backing or some such thin layer of something to add thickness. The metal part is diamond plated and is a tad bit rough to the touch.

I am an "anchor" picker, meaning I plant my pinky on the pickguard most of the time when picking so at first it felt a little rough moving up and down and around when playing... but I am totally used to it now. Doesn't bother me at all anymore. I checked the size of the pickguard against my Morse Y2d and they are not the same size. Not sure how it matches against a Silo, but I suspect the Sub1 has its own pickguard size/template, so replacing it would require a custom cut guard.

In the spirit of keeping mine totally stock and ultra cheap I have decided against replacing/adding anything to it other than replacing the nut (which I did myself) and adding strap locks. I will also likely add a push/pull pot to split the coils since the stock pups are 4 conductor. ;) Then it will be even more versatile.

RR

7. Blue4Now

Well the deal is done, I am picking it up on Saturday. $499.00 for a brand new Music Man SUB1. It's in a small shop so it does not even have any "shop wear" or so the store owner promises me. I am really psyched about this guitar. I now its crazy but I have really been craving somthing a bit different. Its a unique, high quality guitar without having to spend bigger bucks on somthing like a Tyler (which I also love btw)

8. meangene

meangene Member

I was involved to a degree when those were being designed/built to released at EB. The necks and bodies are all made at the SLO CA EB factory and painted and assembled and the parts are all offshore. The satin finish keeps them affordable to paint and on the necks they could use some dirtier maple although you would be surprised to find out many of the necks are very clean maple too. I always hoped they would release a natural oil finished neck and put a plastic guard on them. The diamond plate guard I was never a fan of. All in all great guitar for the money and simple mods like the coil split are a great DIY upgrade. If you ever run into a static discharge problem grab a cling free static sheet from the laundry room and keep it in the case, a simple wipe with it removes any snap crackle pops from the satin finish which will load up now and then.

9. Blue4Now

Very interestign info, thanks. Yeh the diamond plate gaurd is the only think I'm not sure of, but then again it kinda fits that badass look with the satin finish. I see Chandler has the pattern so I may try a three ply black plastic, but maybe just leave it as is. Its pretty cool looking. Funy what a great value this guitar is compared to so many offshore made guitars today from big builders.

10. John C

John C Supporting Member

Gene,

Thanks for the info; I don't know where I got the idea the necks were outsourced.