Music/practice room question. CHAIRS!

explorer76

I was practicing last night in my home office and sitting on my chair which is a typical rolling "office" style chair. Something like this:

While very comfortable for everyday sitting, it really sucks as a guitar practicing chair because I'm forced to sit on the edge due to the arm rests getting in the way of the guitar itself.

So it got me thinking as to what would be a more comfortable type of chair for prolonged seated guitar practice. In my jam room in the basement, I have an assortment of stools and folding chairs which are okay but maybe not the best.

What do you guys/gals use in your practice rooms for extended practice sessions?

Biaxident82

Hi there:

Had the same type of chair and normally I would just not attach the arms. Some may not work that way but the ones I owned allowed me to put the chair together sans arms so that would work. Another option that I use now is basically a padded storage bench with no back which also forces me to have good posture.

Hope that helps.

Double V

I just got a Soundseat chair, been using it now for two weeks. I practice and give lessons for hours a day. This has been the best gear purchase I have made in along time. my back is thanking me. Seriously.
Here's their website: http://www.soundseat.com

Last edited:

Nurk2

"Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod
God I love TGP. It's not complicated. We're not talking Klons and NOS here....

radicool

I use any chair that doesn't have arms: folding chairs, stools, even a drum throne once in awhile when the other chairs are being used.

Nevets

Grabbed a nice padded wooden folding chair on the weekend that works great. Comfy to sit in, folds up neatly when I'm done.

Tahitijack

I've tried bar stools, drummer seat and find a simple folding chair the best. Don't know the manufacturer it's light weight, green plastic, unpadded but the seat and back are curved slats and comfortable. Got it at an outdoor décor shop, so not cheep. Maybe that's why it is comfortable...

russintexas

At home I use an office chair without its back or arms. For shows I use a drum throne (more portable, no wheels).

If the show I'm playing has decent chairs, I won't bother with my own throne, but that's rarely the case.

g-mane

A counter-height stool (usually 6" or so shorter than a barstool) with a back is my preference.

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
I have some old Schoolroom chairs - oak, but kid sized. makes it easy to reach down and tweak pedals.

A lot of times with office chairs like the one in the OP - you can yank off an arm. Couple of screws should do it.
Kinda like:
I'd give my right armrest to have a comfortable practice chair.