Music production in Phoenix AZ - anybody know?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Rumblefish, May 2, 2016.

1. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Thinking of moving to Phoenix area and build another studio. I just dont know if there is much of a musician/ recording engineer pool to draw upon. Anybody know?

soundcloud-7823901-Instant Ocean

MattLeFevers likes this.
  2. loudboy

loudboy Member

There's a big recording school in Tempe, so you'll have as many interns as you need. <g>

MattLeFevers likes this.
  3. Rumblefish

Thanks Loudboy!

4. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

It's true, there are a few good recording schools here. The Conservatory is the big fancy one but Mesa Community College actually has a stellar recording program that churns out really high quality engineers as well. I got my degree from there and have since worked with more than one other graduate (guys I didn't even know while I was in the program) who have been much better than me.

As far as musicians, I'm not as plugged into the local scene as I used to be but local indie record store Zia Records just put out their yearly local band compilation and they got about four hundred submissions. (My band did not make it on, haha.) Between that and the talent pool at the open mic I go to sometimes, I can infer there are plenty of bands and/or songwriters kicking around the Phoenix area.

5. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

I think the area is overserved. I'm not even a "recording" guy, and have never even cut a finished project, but If/when I need to record, I can call, off the top of my head, nine studios, ranging from a small, modest one-room that did a blues record that did well on the charts last year, to a couple big ones that have done records everyone has heard. These are guys I know.
    If you already have the clientele/work, you can plop a studio down anywhere but if you're looking to be competitive in the market for local customers, that's maybe going to be a bit of a heartbreaker and moneytaker. Do more research. Call the studios in town and ask how business is, or get a rate quote and availability.

6. Rumblefish

I should have mentioned that my studio is for my personal use only. Thanks for all the input guys!

7. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I see you are from North Texas. I have lived in both Dallas and Phoenix, and my honest opinion is that the Phoenix scene is not anything like Texas. Texas has a long tradition of roadhouses, blues clubs, its own styles of blues & swing.

Comparatively, Phoenix has very little support for live music and far fewer original bands. Bars tend to close early and very few feature live music (it has even gotten worse in the last few years), Even the number if open mics has slowed down. If you go there, I recommend that Tempe area for music & players, it is very spread out.

Not that many people have ever made the "big time" from Phoenix - Alice Cooper, Gin Blossoms, Tubes, Mister Mister, - that's about it. Alice still lives there, the others have mostly moved on. I am just moved to San Diego and glad to be here.

8. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

I was only visiting for a couple weeks, and this was my impression exactly.

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

When we moved out here, from reading the local papers and events rags it seemed to be a wasteland of Dad Bands and Happy Hour duos, but I'm getting involved in the local music scene and there's a lot of people doing very nice stuff, it's just under the radar.

10. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

The first half of this is all too true but the second half isn't. A lot of the good small-sized venues and clubs that existed when I was in high school are closed now and nothing much has replaced them, and I agree that the open mic scene has gone from dozens to like, two. There are just as many amazing bands though, they just don't necessarily have anywhere to play so it's harder to tell, haha.

11. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

You got that right. My best friend from high school lives there. He plays bass, killer guitar, sax, drums, and keys, has a great singing voice, and writes an incredible variety of amazing tunes, records them in a little air conditioned lean-to shed in his backyard, not to mention playing and recording other people's original tunes for them, but he can't read music. He gave up on the touring band thing several years ago, and the only live gig he does now is some out of the way lounge thing on new years eve, and the only reason he does that is because the bar owner is his landlord. One NYE he took home $500 in tips from that one gig, usually though it's at least $200-300. This guy grew up playing note for note bass along with Yes records and Steely Dan records, then later did the same thing on guitar, now he just wants to write and record. Seems like if you hand him an acoustic on the back porch and sit there long enough he might run through pieces of a hundred cover tunes his band used to play. I've not personally met many musicians as good as this guy who are as "under the radar" as he is.