Music Publication Readership

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Don Rusk, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Which ones and how much do you read music magazines or information sites???

2. Occam

Occam Member

I subscribe to guitar player, guitar world and vintage guitar...I used to also subscribe to tonequest and if it was a little cheaper or offered more I'd probably do it again. I like some of the UK magazines but they're awfully expensive in the US. For the most part I like reading them when I'm grabbing a bite to eat, killing time at lunch or in while in my personal library ;) ....when I want more info I use the net.

3. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I, too, subscribe to Vintage Guitar, Tonequest and will occasionally pick up some of the UK mags such as Guitarist. In addition, I do far too much web surfing - hitting sites like this forum.
    I also tend to pick up books on gear all the time. Last purchases were the Pitman Amp book, a book on Vox amps, The History of Fender, Epiphone, Rickys, Danos, etc and the Analogman effects pedal book.

I would be interested in any good periodicals or books that the knowledgeable members of this forum might recommend
    Can't get enough information.

4. erksin

erksin Member

I only subscribe to GP, but pick up VG on occasion. GP is getting tired, not enough in-depth gear reviews, too many generic interviews IMO. I'm probably going to let my subscription of 20+ years expire this year. VG just has too many dealer ads for my taste, and I hate the large format. I actually really liked Tracks when I first picked it up, but haven't seen it on newsstands for a long time...

Quite frankly, TGP blows away most everything I've come across as far as useful gear-related content. That's why I donate here - I consider it a subscription...

5. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Guitar Player, Guitar One, Acoustic Guitar Magazine.

6. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I dont have any magazine subscriptions anymore, theres so much stuff on the net... tho I do sometimes buy them on the stand if theres enough interesting articles ---

7. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Only one i subscribe to is Guitar World, I learn something new every month from those CDROMS they include. Can only read and talk about playing so much gotta put the rubber to road and play the guitar. I make it a goal to find something online guitar related everyday new to learn. I love reading a good interview but for me its about playing your guitar and learning not talking about pedals everyday.

8. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

You're right, man, you're absolutely right. Play on.
    Still, we learn every day, from playing, from reading, from talking to people.
    As Bob said, "He not busy being born is busy dying."

9. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

True man but personally but ive found from my vast experience of sitting online staring at these forums is how much time I could be learning instead of comparing 28 different dirt pedals that do the same thing in a loud band. Dont get me wrong I love this stuff more than anyone but I need to start focusing moreon the instrument. I have been doing just that and am getting much bigger buzz learning new things.

10. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Please don't get me wrong, I truly DO agree with you!

The circle of guys I play with is pretty small and pretty tight.
    We all bring something to the table. Without this outside knowledge (gained by reading, surfing, dialogue), things can get a bit insular. This sort of input adds to the mix. The internet can be a wonderful thing.

Ultimately, it is all about about playing - it is all about TONE. That's why we waste our time here when we should be playing. Quite simply, we are all on the quest for the Holy Grail.
    QUEST ON!