Music Radar: 10 Greatest Strat Tones

Wow man, you are really showing your age with that Carly Simon ketchup reference.

I remember it well. ;)
Wow man, you are really showing your age with remembering the Carly Simon/Heinz ketchup ad too .. ah, yes .. Back in the day, ketchup was ketchup .. Good stuff .. No upside down stand squarely on a flat surface squirty plastic bottles for us .. Noooo .. We were MEN! .. MEN, i say! .. Glass bottles for us .. Tip that bottle upside down and wait .. And wait .. Whack the side of the bottle .. Whack the side of the bottle .. Try again .. Nooope .. Ok .. Knife insertion time .. < sighs > the Good Ole Days

I really dated myself yesterday with a Firm 'n' Fruity yogurt reference .. The Product of a huge Massachusetts Dairy Company .. Fruit on the bottom .. Weird taste .. Bizarre even .. yogurt has come a lonnnng way

BigGreggoTX

Supporting Member
Wow man, you are really showing your age with remembering the Carly Simon/Heinz ketchup ad too .. ah, yes .. Back in the day, ketchup was ketchup .. Good stuff .. No upside down stand squarely on a flat surface squirty plastic bottles for us .. Noooo .. We were MEN! .. MEN, i say! .. Glass bottles for us .. Tip that bottle upside down and wait .. And wait .. Whack the side of the bottle .. Whack the side of the bottle .. Try again .. Nooope .. Ok .. Knife insertion time .. < sighs > the Good Ole Days
Lol at all the old tricks to get the damn ketchup out of the damn bottle. I think we underrate how much of a game changer the squirt bottle was.

And God those 70's commercials. Sometimes I go down YouTube rabbit holes just reminiscing. Never thought I'd be sentimental about commercials.

"Ancient Chinese secret!"

Doomrider78

It's a clickbait list so of course it's missing many of the most iconic Strat tones. As much as I love Dave Murray and Iron Maiden (which I do, a lot), I would not describe his tone as a pure Strat tone, and certainly not an iconic one.

Lol at all the old tricks to get the damn ketchup out of the damn bottle. I think we underrate how much of a game changer the squirt bottle was.

And God those 70's commercials. Sometimes I go down YouTube rabbit holes just reminiscing. Never thought I'd be sentimental about commercials.

"Ancient Chinese secret!"
I watched a few of those old commercials and I was blown away by the fact that none of those commercials with fly today .. The Frito Bandito .. The Hawaiin punch guy walking up and punching the dude that he asked if he wanted a drink right in the face .. Knockin' peoples' blocks off with Rock'em Sock'em robots ..

Remember those simpler times .. Bologna had a first name .. O-S-C-A-R ...

I would like to splash on some Hai Karate and use some Gillette The Dry Look in my hair .. Drive my Chrysler Cordoba to the bar .. Bring home some chick wearing Charlie perfume with her hair blasted with Alberto VO5 shut all the lights .. Mess around with the Lite Brite off one night .. Knock back some Grape-flavored Tang and a few cans of Beefaroni and a bunch of oscar-meyer weiners .. Plop down an Alka-Seltzer or 2 and call it a night .. in the morning I will feed the lady breakfast in bed - a great big bowl of quisp cereal

O
The studio version of Red House was a Strat.

There was, a non-Fender guitar on that track, however. Noel Redding played a Hofner hollow-body for the rhythm guitar part, in lieu of putting down a bass part.
Oh ty ty .. Thought i was losing my mind .. Could've sworn there was a Strat connection to Red House .. I am not losing my mind .. Wheww ..yet

For me it'd be Gilmour's tone on the Shine On You Crazy Diamond intro solo. I swear I can get really close to it on the neck pup of my 335 with the volume low and the tone knob around 5.

I'm really not a Strat guy at all.

I concur with the Alex Chilton Radio City mention, and I'll go even more obscure:

Gary Myrick, on his debut album... amazing strat rhythm tone. He's an outstanding lead player, but that record features "new wave" arrangements with few solos.

To wit:

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Gold Supporting Member
article says, “10 of the greatest Strat tones.....”.
you say, “10 Greatest Strat Tones”.

i disagree without needing to read further.

Last edited:
Hafta agree to disagree on that one... there’s always been various discussion over the years that it was something other than a Strat. But who knows...

Some say his LP Special, some say Noel’s Tele, even a story that it was a borrowed Hagstrom (!)

It doesn’t sound like a Strat to me... but hey, I could be wrong
I could've sworn Strat .. Not judging solely by tone because it isnt obviousi could've sworn i saw a vid of the song playing and Jimi had a Strat strapped on .. But. That is not definitive because it could have just been a montage flashing pictures while that song was playing .. I am not a huge Hendrix fan though I appreciate his contributions to music .. So, i mean, i will defer ..and think i am slipping

Just found this .. Whaddaya think?

Trending Topics