Music Radar: 10 Greatest Strat Tones

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Gold Supporting Member
I wouldn't count a number of those listed within "the greatest" strat tones ever. That's 'cause I have my own opinions that most folks aren't likely to agree with...just like the author.

I love all of these strats tones and every one mentioned above, too.
I was always partial to Rick Derringer's intro lick for Free Ride. That's as quacky as it gets!

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Gold Supporting Member
I love all of these strats tones and every one mentioned above, too.
I was always partial to Rick Derringer's intro lick for Free Ride. That's as quacky as it gets!
Right...except for one thing. That wasn't Rick Derringer playing the strat on Free Ride; that was Dan Hartman. Derringer played a Les Paul mostly back then.

Big Chippie

This article was in my daily news-feed and i found it to be interesting enough to share .. Enjoy

Great list of great Strat tones. Layla and Couldn’t Stand the Weather are my two favorites. I would also go back to the beginning and add Buddy Holly Peggy Sue.

bblooz

Love the submissions. May I add a suggestion to have a listen to Tommy Castro on "Live at the Fillmore". Tommy usually plays his mid-'60s Strat through a black face Super Reverb, turned up to at least 7 or 8 on the volume. Sounds great to my ears........

harry65

Supporting Member
Much prefer the times on “no parole” to “rising force” and how does “maybe I’m a Leo” by Blackmore not make the list ???

Defendant

No Blackmore seems an odd move.

And I’m not sure any of the tones mentioned thus far are better than the intro/fills/outro of this:

aquamusic

One of my favorite Strat tones is the studio version of My Way Down by Chris Duarte. That quintessential clean Strat quack. Imho when you start adding a heavy dose of distortion or hi-gain amp, the distinction of the guitar is lost. My Way Down

afishman9

And on Little Wing it ain’t too bad. Rainy Day, too.
1. Hendrix, National Anthem, Woodstock
2, Hendrix, Machine Gun, Fillmore
3. Hendrix, House Burning Down, Electric Ladyland
4. Hendrix, Purple Haze, Are You Experienced
5. Hendrix, Foxy Lady, Maui
6. Hendrix, Voodoo Child, Maui
7. Hendrix, Castles Are Made of Sand, Axis: Bold as Love
8. Hendrix, Stone Free, The Jimi Hendrix Concerts
9. Hendrix, cadenza after Purple Haze, Woodstock
10. Hendrix, Hear My Train a Coming, Berkeley, or Woodstock.

cdawg22

1. Hendrix, National Anthem, Woodstock
2, Hendrix, Machine Gun, Fillmore
3. Hendrix, House Burning Down, Electric Ladyland
4. Hendrix, Purple Haze, Are You Experienced
5. Hendrix, Foxy Lady, Maui
6. Hendrix, Voodoo Child, Maui
7. Hendrix, Castles Are Made of Sand, Axis: Bold as Love
8. Hendrix, Stone Free, The Jimi Hendrix Concerts
9. Hendrix, cadenza after Purple Haze, Woodstock
10. Hendrix, Hear My Train a Coming, Berkeley, or Woodstock.
Preach it, brother!

cyarwood

I was really surprised @ no Blackmore .. And Knopfler .. Little bummed because Buddy Guy is all-too-often overlooked ... And, i mean, no Ry Cooder?
I was thinking about Robin Trower but then I understood because of how many effects are at work (especially modulation) .. I was thinking in terms of Long Misty Days for Trower ..
If you include Ry, you gotta include Sonny Landreth. ;)

Stratomoose

The problem I see here is narrowing the 10 Greatest Strat Tones list (and it is a good list) down to 10 when there are so many great strat artist tones.

A lesser problem I see here is narrowing the 10 Greatest Hendrix tones list down to 10 when there are so many great Hendrix tones.

If you include Ry, you gotta include Sonny Landreth. ;)
Im cool with that ...you drive a fair bargain .. Tbh? .. Im burnt out on Sonny though .. Not HIS fault .. MINE .. Saturated myself in a 4 day Sonny-fest with a friend .. Pointing out our favorite licks .. I will recover from my wretched excess .. And listen again soon enough .. Fair deal

Mazzolar59

Great article; thank's for sharing. The best thing about lists like this is it gets you thinking about your own favorites strat tones. Two of my favorites are Mark Knopfler on Sultans of swing, and Robert Cray on everything he's ever recorded.

Trending Topics