Music store not going to carry new tonemaster amp's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by harvey j, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I think we need some good players with good technique and ears to go out and try some of these amps when they hit the floor and report back.
    That is the only way you are going to know if Fender has really closed the gap and done something that "virtually" no one else has yet to do - replicate the tone and feel of a fantastic sounding tube amp with digital and solid state circuitry.

EDIT: BTW I gigged a '66 Blackface Bandmaster head for ~15 years. Never sounded even close to as good as a well tuned up Deluxe Reverb or Twin.

So how's pricing on a vintage Blackface DR or Twin these days?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  2. andy474x

andy474x Member

You’re definitely right re: cork sniffers, some others had suggested it above, which is why I addressed it, although I could have been more clear about why. And I’m sure there are the guys you mentioned looking for the industry standard, which I referred to as the guys who gig them already. But I don’t think there will be a huge portion of them that go for the Tonemasters. I’m not deaf to what Fender’s play is, I just think it’s going to fizzle... solid state pun intended.

Ryno1331 likes this.
  3. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I think Quilter is partly to blame for the prices of the Fenders. I think the first MP 200 8” amps were around $900 (correct me if I’m mistaken) and they sold. Resale value is still pretty good last time I checked. I’m sure someone at Fender took notice.

4. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I’m not currently shopping for an amp, I’m happy with what I got (I can get banned for that, right?), but, here’s my thinking on the Tonemasters: if they’re durable and repairable, rather than disposable, then the price is fair.

I don’t know about newer examples, but old JC-120s are durable goods. They are buy them once items.

My tube amps are like that, and it’s certainly possible to design and manufacture an SS amp to that standard.

And objectively speaking, if it’s built to that standard and makes pleasing sounds, why should it be priced with the budget starter gear?

5. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Part of the high price is the pine cab and neo speakers. If Fender would issue a head version of these they could price them much more competitively. For those that would use one direct live, a combo is a no go.

It will be interesting to see in a few years what the used price will be. If it’s less than 50% of new, that’s will say a lot about how well they are priced.

6. Tritone

Tritone Member

One feature you're leaving out that I think is really cool is the silent recording with the cab IRs. They sound really good from what I've heard so far. I live in an apartment and like to record but can't turn my amps up too loud and my Suhr reactive load always sounds a little unnatural. If the Tonemaster IR out sounds as good as what I've heard so far then it'll be my go-to recording amp for sure.

7. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

Personally, I wish Fender did analog SS for the preamp and did digital for only the FX and direct out. If the amp sounds and more importantly feels good, then I can forgive the digital preamp. My main concern, especially for the price, is the parts availability in the future. Fender does not have a good track record of keeping proprietary parts for older amps avalible. Example, google "Princeton recording amp digital encoder". I'd hate to layout that kind of bread for an amp that has to be thrown in the garbage in 10 - 15 years if something breaks.

8. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Well the Reactive Load is going to load your tube amp correctly, The IR part and which ones you choose is up to you, dissatisfaction with an IR has nothing to do with the Reactive Load. This is a Reactive Load with IRs recorded in silence.

Doom Man, Gasp100 and BearBryan like this.
  9. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

I just got a Suhr reactive load IR and it sounds way better than I expected it to.

ford likes this.
  10. Peppy

Peppy Member

See...hear...it differently. I say the Tonemasters will sell quite well.

MrAstro and Lef T like this.
  11. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Either the tonemaster will be a huge hit and the store owner will change their mind, or it will go the way of the Cyber Twin. I don't blame them for not wanting to take the risk stocking the inventory.

DeadLazy likes this.
  12. Husky

Well I dunno, I have 6 tube amplifiers I play often and have changed power tubes in 1 of them in 5 years, I don't change them unless something goes wrong, this change them every year is a sales pitch. I have absolutely nothing against SS or modeling, I own and design with that tech too. But I don't understand the need to demonize tubes. I like them both but one thing I love about tube amps?
    I'm still playing tube amps made in the 60's and they are working great and reliable. None of my SS amps I owned in the 70's made it this far with me. So my problem with new tech? Can be obsolete like my iPhone every year (new pro phone looks cool). My BF Super and Bassman, Brown Deluxe and Marshall are never obsolete and very desirable still.

@Gasp100 , let me at the Bandmaster, it is a flower waiting to bloom ;-)

Custom50, ur2funky, Don A and 6 others like this.
  13. halcyon

halcyon Member

Yeah, these amps don’t really make sense to me. The silent playing functionality is perfectly well-served by other products, and to pay as much for a solid-state facsimile of a barely-used tube amp is crazy. Who’s going to do that? There’s no shortage of the tube variants on CL/Reverb. I’d have def said NO to this if I was a decision maker at Fender.

BearBryan likes this.
  14. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

I own 5 tube amplifiers and no SS amps. My dad has a couple vintage tube amps also (ampeg and fender). Obviously I'm not a huge proponent of new tech. But, if you have 6 tube amps and a full time job how much time do you really put on one individual amp?

Buying a vintage well maintained bandmaster runs around 900 or more and most may be fine with the mismatched tubes etc you get after people pull the old tubes prior to sale so very rarely are these amps 100% ready to go.

So while I appreciate the sentiment and maintain with minimal use and good maintenance classic tube amps are awesome, understand someone with your knowledge of amps and maintanence is a far cry from my dad who has to take his amp in if there's some slight tube rattle.

spiral likes this.
  15. Husky

Maybe I charge too cheap in regards to labor rate and $900 really? But still
    If it is a great amp, that’s not terrible for something that lasts a lifetime but an unbutchered amp in that era doesn’t take me more than 2 hours to deal with just about anything wrong. Parts cost is usually small too, maybe I’m out of touch, I usually pay 300-400 for a Bassman/Bandmaster but the fact that I don’t play my BF super for 3 or even 10 years and then decide to use it for an afternoon is exactly my point, it works and sounds great, it’s timeless. What else can you say that about except maybe a guitar with a string change. A good tube amp will never be outdated and doesn’t need software updates. Again I use both, I like my Helix, Kemper is cool too, I personally gravitate to Tube because I enjoy the time playing more and with IRs the wife doesn’t have to yell at me to turn it down. It’s all about what works for the moment, all good including tubes is all I’m saying and I did repairs for many years too. They can be built or serviced to be as trouble free as anything. Geeese I just replaced a filter cap in my Dynaudio monitor that failed. That was only 4 years old, the parts that usually need replacing in a tube amp except for tubes is no different than any other piece of electronics but I really thought that monitor would last, filter caps usually last much longer. I doubt if your Dad was any older than me he would want to tackle digital amps or deal with downloading updates anyway unless he was a tech guy.

So it sounds like you are a tube guy frustrated with maintenance etc and would like to get in to modeling or have you tried it before?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Droliver likes this.
  16. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

Correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't totally researched these new Fender tone master amps. I understand its solid state but just like a Twin or Deluxe Reverb you only get 2 channels of clean tone? One with reverb and vibrato and the other without? For $1000? And even if it sounds good how long before you wished it had tubes? When a used Twin Reverb Reissue with low miles sells for around $800? (Or less if you shop around) I'll pass....

44 and feeling it likes this.
  17. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Some people will buy anything with a Fender badge on it...

Wyatt Martin likes this.
  18. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

SS amps are like hairstyles. History is littered with bad ones (90s mullet). But classic tube designs are always here to stay. Like the elvis. Or the flat top. Or the pompador.

dalezjc and andy474x like this.
  19. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

My first thoughts upon seeing the price when it was posted about on another forum was an immediate "no."

20. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Oh, hey... it's Uncle Ben! Love his lessons on YouTube. Cool video also.