Music Stores in Denver and Springs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dmbandtimmy, Jul 31, 2005.

1. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I am headed to Denver and Colorado Springs in about a week and wondered if anyone had any recommendations of good places to stop. I always stop by GC when I go, but I want to stop by some other places also. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

If you're up towards Boulder, Wildwood in Louisville is worth a visit. In Denver, Guitar X is the most interesting shop to me. Gary stocks a lot of cool amps and FX and often has some interesting guitars (e.g., he has a used Driskill at the moment). Just a block away from GuitarX, National Speaker has some nice stuff in their relatively small guitar section. ProSound is a locally-owned chain that isn't at all booteek but has some nice basic stuff and a helpful staff.

Of the Denver-area GCs, the Arvada store seems to have the most interesting stuff. The Denver store is pretty good, too while the Englewood shop (only 1/2 mile from my office) doesn't seem to get a whole lot other than entry-level stuff.

The Littleton Music Go Round seems to get some interesting used gear. Their inventory is searchable online so you can check to see if there's anything that might be worth the trip.

I don't often get down to the Springs so I can't offer any suggestions out that way.

3. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Alec,
    Wow! Thanks for the for the great reply! I will definitely check those stores out. Guitar X sounds really cool!

I usually head up to Springs about once a year and always stop by the Denver GC, but it will be nice to check out some of the local shops. Thanks again for help! :dude

4. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

Gary at GuitarX is VERY cool. Mom and Pop boutique-ish store there.

Jason at DrumCityGuitarLand has a great variety and good prices.

Wildwood is highly recommended too!

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I knew I was forgetting somebody! :jo

6. magicvibe

magicvibe Guest

+1 for Gary at Guitar X. Very helpful and cool while I was down from AK last spring and subsequently has been a cool mail order option.

Support Guitar X
    (Heritage amps in stock, too, y'all....)

7. pbhtrip

pbhtrip Member

Gary/GuitarX is great! You've gotta go there if no place else. Plus National Speaker is a block away, and they carry some cool stuff (Cornish pedals in stock). Drum City/Guitar Land is cool, so is Wildwood.

I think all the good places have already been mentioned, so if you can hit any of those you'll be good.

Peter

8. pbhtrip

pbhtrip Member

Oh, and Aurora Music (in Aurora ;) ) is a decent place. They typically have a nice selection of guitars (Gibson Gretsch, Fender, Ric). Common stuff, but he gets the nice ones and he really knows how to set them up to play properly, unlike picking a guitar up in GC and wondering if it's broken. :D

Peter

9. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

GuitarX:
    Best selection of boutique'y stuff including pedals. He regularly stocks many of the most popular 'modded' types (ts9's, etc).

Drumcity.... :
    Decent, but really you have to check what you want on the website since they have such a small store.

Prosound:
    I WANT to shop here, but they seem to have very basic stuff.

GC:
    Ugh. Only used for price-matching. Although they do have some great 2203's and Mesa's stocked in the one off Colorado.

If you're into tubes, some of the best information and selection can be found with 'Lord Valve' off of Broadway (google it).

10. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

The Music Exchange in Co Springs is a pretty cool shop with both new and vintage stuff. I think it's on Pikes Peak Blvd.

There are also a couple of nice acoustic shops near the park, but I don't recall the names.

Check out live music in the park during the summer....nice vibe. Also one or two blues jams happening during the week.

11. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

So many great places! I definitely have to check out guitar x. I just checked their website and the store sounds like it will definitely be worth my time. National Speaker also sounds cool with Cornish pedals in stock! :) I have never had an opportunity to play one so hopefully I will get a chance!

Lord Valve also sounds very cool! I know a little about tubes, but not a whole lot and it would be cool to ask them some questions and possibly purchase a few while I am there. Thanks again guys for the low down on all of the cool shops! I'll let you know the gear I score when I get back next week! :dude

12. shoe

shoe Member

Does anyone have an experience with Guitars Etc. in Longmont? I know they're a Suhr dealer.

13. jrm

jrm Member

I'd check into Pickin' Parlor in Arvada as well. Really great selection of acoustics there.

+1 for Drum City Guitar Land... good people!
    +1 for Guitar X... good people again!