Music stores: Is there any point in which new guitars become used

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wahfreak, Mar 20, 2015.

1. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

It's sort of a rhetorical question.

I have been searching for my first acoustic. I've been to a few guitars stores and have played at least 20 different makes and models. Two of my favorites were both Martins. Both are being sold as new but they are both over 5 years old.

I was at the music store today trying some out and 4 kids (i'm guessing between 16 and 18) came in. They were really hammering on some of these things and I finally had to walk out.

I can't image the abuse some of things have endured. If I buy a brand new guitar and walk out of the store and never play it, "too bad, it's used" but it can sit in store being played by hundreds of people and they can still sell it for new. In reality they are all demo models.

2. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Technically they become new old stock at some point ....

If they have "shop wear" ... that is certainly something to bring up when negotiating a purchase price

:munch

3. Synex7254

Synex7254 Member

The main reason I have no issues buying online, sight unseen. I've never been burned or had to return anything either. Others here will say they won't buy without playing. To each their own. I'd rather have a guitar shipped to me just as it was when it left the factory...untouched!

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

There are demos and there are New Old Stock (NOS) guitars. NOS is new,, never sold, but it's been in stock a while, but not necessarily a beat demo. I've gotten great deals on NOS Taylor and Gretsch and Lowden guitars that were in stock for 2-3 years. Brand new, minimal use and wear, at a bargain price.

There's a difference between a Demo and NOS IMO ... If it's both the discount should be even more. In my case these were cosmetically clean, as new, not beat up demos.

5. ixnay

ixnay Member

Same here. As far as I'm concerned, just about any 'new' guitar that has been hanging on the wall is used and should be discounted accordingly as a demo unit.

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I think with a serialized item, once it appears on a sales receipt, it is a used item.
    It has less to do with condition than it does with inventory and cost of goods.

7. XKnight

XKnight Member

If the seller is an authorized dealer that provides a manufacturers warranty then the guitar is considered new until it's sold. Even a NOS or demo guitar is still technically considered new because of the manufacturers warranty.

8. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I bought a '57 Historic Les Paul from Manny's in 1999 that was hanging on the wall. I asked for a small discount since it wasn't technically a brand new in-the-box guitar. They agreed and knocked a couple $100 off the price. Never hurts to ask.

9. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Yes, I got my Gretsch 6120 SSLVO at a used price, new w warranty, because it had been on the wall a couple of years and needed hydration and a setup. After that tweaking it's been perfect for years.

10. stormtrooper

stormtrooper Member

its used and should be priced that way on the shelf.

11. Schweezly

Schweezly Member

My local GC has a new 2009 PRS CU22. It's discounted a little, but I can only imagine how much it's been played in 5-6 years.

12. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I agree. If it's dinged up, it's a floor model or a demo, but it's still "new".

Conversely, it bugs me when people selling a used guitar list it as new. Doesn't matter if you never opened the box or it's only two months old, if you're not a dealer or the factory, it's used.

13. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Yep..used vs new is entirely about the original sale and warranty and nothing else. The second that SN is registered as sold to someone then it is considered used. Condition is irrelevant. Now where that gets awkward is with GC's return policy. That guitar could be sold and returned numerous times and still listed as "new". But in almost all cases it has zero to do with condition.

14. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

Yes - my fellow Tampan.....one of my gripes too....guitars on eBay listed as "new" or "new, other" that someone bought from a store three years ago but only "played for an hour"...so they think it should be listed as "new". Last time I brought this up on TGP, there were a lot of folks who disagreed...I still don't get that....once you buy something from a store and bring it home, how is it still "new"? "Like New"....okay, get that

15. TheoDog

I mentioned this in the "misrepresented" thread regarding "mint"
    If it is advertised as new or mint, I should be peeling of the pickguard film. There should be hang tags. But from the retail world New means never sold.
    Even the condition can only account for a certain percentage of discount without the dealer jeopardizing his contract with the manufacturer.
    I saw this in the bicycle industry. No matter how long a high end bike sat on the sales floor, I could only be sold for a minimum price dictated by the brand.

16. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

We open all of our guitars and set them up before shipping. We open many for photography so you can see exactly which guitar you are buying. An unopened, factory sealed guitar isn't ready for sale as far as I'm concerned. In fact id probably give you the discount on that instead of the one on the wall since there hasnt been any cost of maintenance involved in caring for the instrument.

Thats not the same thing of course as a shop worn or damaged instrument or a customer return or a factory bstock, all of which are "new". Really though the price is always negotiable on any type at most dealers.

Unfortunately words like "mint" mean different things to everybody. The one thing it doesn't guarantee is "new",thats a function of the warranty really.

17. TheoDog

Very nice distinction FC.
    Would you care to elaborate any on the discounts you are allowed, as a retailer, to make on a new item from a manufacturer with whom you have a sales agreement?

18. ixnay

ixnay Member

They should be allowed to discount whatever they want as far as sales price goes (with very few exceptions, like Mesa). The only restrictions retailers have due to sales agreements with the manufacturers is with regard to advertised prices (MAP).

As far as discounts go, I haven't received a discount less than 20% off MAP on a new guitar in probably close to ten years.

19. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

To me any guitar that has any sign of use is used.

20. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

I feel the same way about toothbrushes.