music theory question

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by tedm, Sep 19, 2004.

1. tedm

tedm Member

Gotcha, what about an F note? There's an F chord in the backing.

2. tedm

tedm Member

There's a G chord in the backing. You have no G regular.

3. matte

matte Senior Member

Sounds like you're answering your own questions. You asked about a scale that would work with A Minor and C Minor. I gave it to you. Bye bye now.

4. lhallam

lhallam Member

Above was the question. You said nothing about chords or backings. Both diminished scales will work, if you know what you're doing.

Matte's suggestion has both the natural 5th over the Amin and over the C min. This is the better answer. I'm just having fun.

Starting on a whole step you get a b5 with no resolution for both Am and Cm which will sound "funny" to some ears.

Much like when Jack played Bbmin and Bmin pentatonics in one post, both diminished scales can work. If you know what you're doing.

Now that I think about it, forget what I said. I was thinking what scales could be played over Cm and Am chords.

5. Joe

Joe Senior Member

Very simply put, there are 12 notes, seven of which are probably diatonic, and another three that will work in context if placed correctly. So this leaves us with two notes that do not work, which are normally fighting the third or the seventh of the chord. So if the chord has a b3 and you play a natural 3, or do the same with the 7th, it can get weird. Even these notes can be used sparingly at times. If it sounds ok, you discover that a G# works here where no G# is in the key signature, use it, just don't abuse it.

Theory heads want the numerical values worked out for why yes or no.

Guys with great ears just say, G# works and do not ask why.

The main issue is the end, not the means when speaking of sound and music. Braintwisters at music school are fun to test your knowledge, but many a bluesman that was unable to speak proper English has made great music w/ no knowledge. This is not a drivers ed test where you need a score to pass, if it sounds ok, then it is ok.

6. matte

matte Senior Member

There's also the both/and scenario.

7. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

So great and ears knowing why something works are mutually exclusive in your world?

How unfortunate.

8. Joe

Joe Senior Member

Well my mom wouldn't let me eat Twinkees, what can I tell you? :rolleyes:

I fixed it for you. :p

9. matte

matte Senior Member

Twinkees as a verb? I'm willing to bet that you aren't getting paid by the calorie.

10. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Jeeze ... there were some fun threads happening here back in da back

Let's bring 'em back ...