"Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it"

teleman1

Looks and attraction are what seems to f*&k up our society the most. From little boys & girls we are programed by the trends. Now woman can change a lot about them they THINK society cares about. 6 packs, square jaw, deep blues eyes;boom your a model or one of the hopeless that hopes to be. Peter Frampton was blessed with his hair, he was a rock guitar heart throb for many woman. If he went back in time to challenge himself, no one would come to see a bald bearded old man. Even though he probably delivers the goods as ell or better than back then. No matter what you look like, you always wonder what you could look like and how things would be if you did so. Ugly folks do it and so do attractive. THe Ugly people get fatter & the attractive people go bulimic. Sure this is not across the board and as you get older the game gets tired. I mean really, why does Buckethead wear a bucket? It makes our economy whirl round. I always imagine a society where looks don't matter. Now we have tiktok girls to make ladies insecure and hypersensitive even more than society already has them.

sahhas

Supporting Member
the FZ quote i was thinking about, i think it was on the Tinseltown Rebellion album, during the dance party section:

"I have an important message to deliver to all the cute people all over the world. If you're out there and you're cute, maybe you're beautiful. I just want to tell you somethin' — there's more of us UGLY MOTHERF*CKERS than you are, hey-y, so watch out.”

smallbutmighty

Supporting Member
It's a funny quote, and I get the point, but it misses the mark in a couple ways.

1. Anyone is allowed to make music. What the bumper sticker is really alluding to is becoming a famous musician.
2. Even at that, there are still plenty of ugly famous musicians out there, if you look beyond The Masked Singer.
3. And even at that, a $3,000 outfit on an ugly person can do wonders. A little dental work, some hair care products....and bingo.

That said, here's my $.02 regarding the sticker's sentiment: the format for music consumption has gone from cylinder, to vinyl lp, to 8-track, to cassette, to CD, to mp3, to........video. These days if you want to get your music noticed, it has to be on YouTube.

Video has indeed killed the radio star. To be heard you have to have some kind of visual identity to accompany your music. In can be looking hella-hawt, but it doesn't have to be.

johnsav

Sorry, but I disagree that these stars don't have a TON of people who find them very attractive. I don't, but many do. I think someone normal looking like Christopher Cross would prove your point, but it's not the 80's :D
They're average looking people. Being stars makes them attractive.
Christopher Cross looks a little like the singer from Future Islands, another huge band.

Fulldrive-1

True.

The Cream, the Jimi Hendrix Experience might not have been allowed on MTV.

And without MTV, they wouldn't have existed.

So I ask the question I asked earlier, in another thread: What does television have to do with music?