• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

"Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it"

paddywhack

Gold Supporting Member
....it’s true...a good looking human will keep people from tuning away in horror...really bad music might though...and really good music will get people to listen to musicians no matter what they look like

Black&Blue

Meh...there are still plenty of ugly people making music. Beauty isn't just skin deep, and neither is ugly. For example, there's nothing terribly attractive (to me) about a 5'2", 40lbs overweight woman with a shitton of makeup slathered all over her, wearing unreasonably gaudy clothes, and belting out conscientiously edited tracks written by someone else anyway...and "cute" grows old and dies real fast in celebrity trends.

jogogonne

Recent pop musicians like Ed Sheeran, Post Malone and Billie Eilish put the lie to the 'pretty' image.
Billie Eilish is attractive. It's her shtick to be shockingly gross and eccentric, but don't think her base attractiveness had nothing to with people liking her Youtube page and record companies wanting her.

For guys like Post-Malone, it's more about a rough image then good looks. I think he's like from the upper class suburbs.

Ed Sheeran I will give you... he's not ugly, but also not marketable good looking.

Howzaboppin

There's probably a fair number of ugly to average looking people responsible for making the music that many of the pretty Pop stars put their face on. It can be frustrating when some really insipid stuff sells a gazillion just because of who's mouth it falls out of.

Anyway, I think there's something for everyone, so it's all good.
Teenager in Love, recorded in 1959 by Dion and the Belmonts:

Author: Doc Pomus

Gallus

Cool line... I kind of agree, I think..

Rock'n'roll's always been a sucker for a pretty face, but it seems like you could get away with more aesthetic deficits in, say, the 80s than now....

Hard to imagine a Dire Straits video on high rotation these days, for instance... but then there's Ed Sheeran, so I dunno..

M

Member 199413

:rolleyes2:
Good grief man.
I'm curious how you got the idea that I find Billie Eilish "ugly"?
Edited to add: Ah, I see that the word "ugly" in the thread title is being taken as the opposite to "pretty", and that was not my intent.
"Pretty" was in parenthesis in my post to imply 'glamorous' or 'eroticized'.
Billie Eilish is a beautiful young woman who is not eroticizing her appearance to win pop stardom. Hope that makes more sense.
Well, her schtick is her mental illness and getting all glammed up would be detrimental to that. However, in a world full of marginally mentally ill teenagers writing emo songs, the one who rises to the top is the one with good bone structure. Just sayin' that ain't coincidental.

I also agree with Scr@tchy about attitude and confidence. I don't think Brittany Howard is in any way pretty beyond having good skin and a nice smile, but she has enough attitude and confidence to make her very attractive. She's not so much breaking the rule as ignoring its existence and establishing her own terms.

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
I was watching the video for "Carry on Wayward Son" the other day and all I could think was, "well, I can see why Kansas didn't make it in the MTV era." LOL.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Plain looking people have always, and are still making music.

I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of popular "ugly" musicians for the Golden Time Of Yore.

Trending Topics