Musical Ambition

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by teal379, Feb 6, 2012.

1. teal379

teal379 Member

Watching the various arguments around this and many other forums on any number of topics I often see this:

1: "I don't particularly care for X"
    2: "You're just jealous that X can do Y better than you and has made a ton of money doing it. What have you ever done? If you spent more time doing Y instead of posting here you wouldn't suck and see X is the best at Y or be on his level."

Doesn't matter what X is, a specific guitarist, band, athlete etc.

Got me to thinking that most people don't take the time to think/realize that not EVERYONE is into "whatever" hobby (forum) for the same reasons and to the same level of commitment.

So - what's your musical/guitar ambition?

Mine?

One thing only - play well enough to make me happy.

That's it - don't want to gig, don't want to make money, don't want to make CD's, don't want to tour, don't want to be discovered. Really don't.

So my distaste for anyone/thing is NOT driven by jealousy. I couldn't care less if person X got rich and famous doing Y, mostly because I have NO INTEREST in doing Y to that level. If I ever do, I'll be sure to mention it.

What drives you when it comes to guitar/music? What's your goal?

Try and remember before you play the "You're jealous" card when someone disagrees with you that THEY most likely aren't - just not at the same place as you are or where you think they should be

2. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

I feel like art requires sharing, so I like playing in front of people even though I haven't been doing that much in the last 5 years. I like the vibe shared by performer and audience, and performers playing together. The overriding motivator though has always just been personal enjoyment. I have a day job, and no delusions about playing music for a full time living.

3. shane88

shane88 Member

i'm a has been - i had some when i was younger :p

4. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

has been also, was better when i was younger. just want to make money in my cover band.

5. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

I want to be James Brown

6. slyzspyz

slyzspyz Member

Well music (gigs/teaching) is my career, what I would like to do is find a happy medium where the stuff that I find creative and inspiring to play also resonates with an audience, sometimes the two are poles apart! The gigs that make me money are still enjoyable, but I'd still rather be touring the world playing instrumental jazz/fusion and making a ton of money. You know, like Wayne Krantz, Scott Henderson... all them muti-millionaires

7. halcyon85

halcyon85 Member

My lone goal is to record stuff that sounds cool to me. Still haven't achieved that one.

I like the playing well enough to make you happy idea though.

8. Elev8

Elev8 Member

No goals.
    No goals necessary.
    The journey is what matters, not the destination.
    Fun/entertainment & the pursuit of skills/knowledge are more than enough for me.

9. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

I retired last August from gigging full-time for the last decade, and all I really care to accomplish musically from here on out, is to write & record one album's worth of original material. It would be nice to have something to leave behind besides a legacy of empty beer bottles & full ashtrays in clubs too numerous to remember............

10. blownirocz

blownirocz Suppoutin' Memba Since Dem Oud Dayz... Silver Supporting Member

I want to write and perform music that others will/can/might enjoy...

11. Sancho

Sancho Member

I picked up the guitar because I wanted to be in a hard rock/heavy metal band.
    Have managed to do that consistently for well over 20 years now.
    I love to play gigs, even if I hate lugging gear.
    Gave up the hopes of making it big early on (not many world famous Belgian metal bands out there...) but have always continued doing it for the love of music.

12. paulscape

paulscape Member

My goal is to be in steel panther! To go platinum...from free Internet downloads... in Guam ...

13. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

1) have fun with the guys (the band is me and my two brothers, that's it)

2) be comfortable playing in front of other people

3) have an excuse to buy fun toys.

14. Tmac1957

Tmac1957 Member

Musical ambition - To publish original music.
    Simple enough these days. Spent about 15 years gigging when I was younger. Had the idea of being an international rock star, but it didn't seem to work out that way. Revealuated my goals, and went into mainstream business. In the last few years, I have been playing more than ever and can say I am playing the best I have in my life. Most of the time is solo in my home studio, but have been collaborating with some others, great fun to play with others. I miss gigging from an artist/audience interaction standpoint, but am quite selective before doing gigs for a variety of reasons. Enjoying the ride along the way.

15. Brooks

Brooks Member

to meet chix!!!

seriously, my goals have eroded from being a kid & wanting to do it full time (which i never did), to writing/recording/releasing original music (done several times over), to doing it locally as a second job (done for decades), to today just doing it for the love of playing w/ my buddies and doing a few gigs now and again. i don't watch sports/play golf/gamble/hunt/fish; i play guitar in bands. getting together w/ the guys is typically the high point of my week, we have a blast.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  16. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

To play the best I can every time.

17. Madsen

Madsen Member

:agree
    i used to believe that whole "if you can make money off what you enjoy, thats the greatest thing ever". so i tried making money off music & it always ruined it for me. so now i just play to feel the sound resonate my bones. i miss having people to jam with, but they tend to not apprecaite my perspective & think talents should be used to attract attention.
    :huh

18. fusion58

fusion58 Member

Not sure the conclusion follows.

That is, even if your only goal is to "play well enough to make me happy" you can still be jealous of another player simply because he/she is more successful at achieving the same goal as yours. In fact, much of the criticism in question is directed at non-pros who have posted clips on YT just for fun. (Not saying this is true of you personally - just an observation re: the logic at work in the argument.)

19. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

I have no idea why I do this. I don't seem to be able to stop. Near as I can tell, the only thing worse than gigging is not gigging.