Musical Training Boosts Brainpower

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Zandalf, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Zandalf

Zandalf I don't remember Silver Supporting Member

This article's been around for a few weeks but I haven't seen anyone post it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...3/10-ways-musical-training-boosts-brain-power

(I loved the Einstein quote! Einstein once said, "Life without playing music is inconceivable to me. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music ... I get most joy in life out of music.")

This article, along with a truly amazing previous post on your brain playing an instrument (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1506568 - Link at: http://trendinghot.net/what-playing-a-musical-instrument-does-to-your-brain/), sure makes a good case for playing an instrument. My only question is, does it apply to drummers?!

[​IMG]

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I saw the results of a study a year or two back that showed how playing improvised music lights up your brain like nothing else we've found so far.

3. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Interesting article. I like the fact that along with the Einstein quotes, they reference the science and real published studies supporting their conclusions.

4. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

Conceptually studying music is like studying math.

I'm convinced studying music gave me the capacity to excel in engineering school. I aced all my math classes.

5. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

so that's why I'm smarter than everyone

6. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Of course it does! It has benefits as we age too and even if you don't keep playing, they stay with you.

7. Ed56m

Ed56m Supporting Member

You would never know by some of the post on TGP.

8. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I don't think there are really any downsides to learning music, or being exposed to a wide range of musical genres early in life. It's unfortunate that schools lack the funding to continue these programs.

One thing I will say is that while the musical training does offer benefits, people still need to be well rounded in order to see these benefits. A perfect example is a statement Pat Metheny makes in his book that at one point in High School he was nearly illiterate because all he did was focus on music and completely ignored school. He obviously did something to turn that around, because in interviews it is quite clear that he is articulate and expresses himself well. But I think we have all met or read interviews by musicians that play the hell out of an instrument, but can't express a coherent idea to save their lives.

There is also a neuroscientist that has put people in the fMRI (sorry guys, my use of science will likely doom this thread in the eyes of many TGPers) and showed how the brain reacts to playing known patterns as opposed to improvising. Derekd pointed out above how the brain lights up in a different way when improvising. Unfortunately, much of the music popular with today's youth is the opposite of improvised. And art forms like jazz that heavily rely on improvisational skills attract a much smaller percentage of players or music listeners.

Ed56m makes a great point, on this forum of players, there are many posts that definitely don't show the advantages pointed out in the Psych Today article. :)