Musician Facebook overload

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tiktok, May 6, 2016.

1. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Over the years I've seen a lot of articles and advice that in The New World Of Music, it's important to have a good social media presence, with lots of content on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. And on the surface, it makes sense--no one goes to a show that they don't hear about, no one listens to music that they don't know exists, etc.

But...

I've noticed a trend with younger, local, musicians (mid thirties and younger, concentrated in the twenties) where liking them of FB results in a flood of posts, every day, with no real musical value. There's several selfies, every day, a thank you post or two for their most recent show and anyone who came out or who played with them, some pictures or demo tracks from the past, or a reposting of the link to their Bandcamp page, a reminder of an upcoming show several weeks out, etc.

For me, this is too much. I know that "email is dead", but no-one would think of sending a half dozen short emails a day to everyone on their old-school mailing list, even though it takes about as much effort as an FB post. Spamming like that is considered rude. Or, it was the last time I checked.

As a result, I end up having to unfollow the acts in question, because there's no way to "channel" all those posts into "Things I Really Want To Hear" about and "Narcissistic Reflexing Self-documentation". Really all I want is to know when they're playing a show, and I don't want to hear about that more than, oh, twice. Once when it's first announced, and them maybe a reminder the day before the show. And, when new music is released. And by "new music" I don't mean an iPhone video of you singing along to a Hall And Oates song in your car (for example).

As a result, I probably miss out on some stuff that I actually want to hear about, but the signal to noise ratio just precludes me putting up with all of it. It's as if they assume that they're the only act you're following, and not thinking "****--what if there's a dozen other acts all doing the same thing? Who the hell wants to read all that?"

Anyone else bothered by this?

2. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I know what you are talking about, but I'm not really bothered by it. To me, if you're realistically busy and doing cool stuff then you're probably to busy to post about it on facebook. :idea

shaun_mac likes this.
  3. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

It's a different world. I mean, I'm in my mid 30s, but I still find the social media thing a bit odd. It's as though the hype you create is more important than your musical output. I was just having this discussion with the guitarist in my band. A local 22-23 year old guitarist in our area started playing bro-country (not judging, just stating) a couple years ago. In that time, he's released three songs. That's right, I said songs, not albums. Despite this lack of output, his number of followers dwarfs other, far more prolific bands. He also makes really vague posts to make it seem like he plays big shows. A few weeks ago, he posts a photo from the audience at the Grand Ole Opry with a the caption that potentially makes it seem as though he could be playing. The replies from his fans consist of people congratulating him on his success and telling him to "knock them dead". If they only knew.

sacakl, Cb and tiktok like this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I unfriend those jokers FAST!
    No problems!

5. mannish

mannish Member

I block most people cause don't care to read what they have to say or their stupid pictures.

6. taez555

taez555 Member

Part of the problem is Facebook's algorithm that only shows 10% or less of what a Page posts. So in order to guarantee the people actually see their posts, they need to post more often.

Chrome Dinette, Turi and Dave Orban like this.
  7. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

While I agree with your statement, you seem to be missing the fact that the target demographic digs this attitude. No one remembers what you posted yesterday, you have to keep it going. This is the Instagram and Snapchat generation.

It's off putting for music fans, but for those who follow public figures who happen to play music, they eat it all up. You used to release more records and play your ass off to stay relevant. Now, you have to act like your life is a reality TV show. You are selling yourself. You are the product, your music is part of that.

I'm not saying I agree with this. This is just what I see every day. The thing with the internet is that everybody has a voice. And there's a lot of people out there digging that, never mind the fact that they may not have something that valuable to say. It's a huge signal to noise ratio. And Facebook has made it worse with its stupid algorithms. Some relative I have not seen in 12 years goes and 'likes' (not even posts) something some random dude did and I get it on my feed. At the same time, people I follow, who do things I dig don't show up anymore. I have to go to those people's pages to see all that I've been missing. And guess what? People like flash way more than substance. My beer pictures get more likes than my actual videos. But if you click on my page because you like the same beer and end up checking my stuff out, I call that a win!

RGB and Dave Orban like this.
  8. PFunk

PFunk Member

This^^^

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

For the local artist, I'd think their "target demographic" is people who might be interested in seeing one of their shows or buying some of their music.

If you're saying "the kids" (teens and twenty-somethings--I'm in my mid-40's) dig this flood of TMI, yeah, maybe...but simple math means that if they're following a dozen folks all working from the same plan (post a half-dozen times a day), once you add that to all the non-music they're following on FB--actual friends, family, other non-musical interests, it becomes unworkable.

10. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Who wants to bother with the learning curve of a new platform and the time it takes for everyone to gravitate over there? I certainly don't.

If Google Plus couldn't topple Facebook, it's likely that nothing will.

And yes, my musician friends who are most successful with their music are relentless on social media.

Dave Orban and dsimon665 like this.
  11. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

FB is necessary for me to follow local bands/ artists / and music groups I am a part of.
    Like others have said, Ive joined a few, than hide or unfollow if there is no direct benefit to me.

12. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Pretty soon they'll notice this, and tweak the algorithm to only show 5% or less...

13. taez555

taez555 Member

Actually they already have, so that if you post too much they don't show anything at all.

14. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Yeah, no--the ones I'm thinking of are interesting musically, and I want to know about their shows, but that's it. Instead, I get all this other hot air.

15. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Well, they're "full-time musicians" so, when they're not playing their three shows a week, it's self-hype time. I suspect that if FB couldn't be accessed from a phone all this would go away--it's having the thing always in hand that makes it easy to fire off the micro-posts while you're at a stop light or whatever.

16. taez555

taez555 Member

You have to remember, you can also use apps that cross post across platforms. So your post on facbeook also posts on twitter which posts on intstagram which posts on youtube, etc...

So one quick comment or pic while you're the toilet, and you're filling the social media word.

The future is weird.

Dave Orban likes this.
  17. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Yes, but in reality, your first fans are people your age that you already know, peers, coworkers from your "day job", etc. And they're all Snapchatting. All freaking day. When they 'like' your dumb beer post, their friends (some of whom have never heard of you) get to see that on their feeds. You have to work that angle, too.

RGB and Dave Orban like this.
  18. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

You kids get off my lawn...!!!

RGB likes this.
  19. Turi

Turi Member

Great thread man.
    There's a couple of local acts who have loads of followers, one guy, over 2000 or something. Crazy.
    Not sure if he's linked to Twitter or Instagram, I only have FB.

He posts a lot of things that aren't music related and people eat it all up (on FB) and people 'like' his gig ads as well etc etc.
    Of course, I walk past a gig of his a two weeks ago, prime time (9.30pm~), and there is nobody in there, he's singing to the bar staff.
    I see later on FB, he posts up a big thanks to everyone who came out (nobody) and took some selfies on himself (not facing the audience, lol).
    Everyone eats it all up again. Even though he pulls 0 people. I get everyone has a bad night. I've seen him playing to little to no people quite a bit, which doesn't match the internet presence he has (he's ****ing everywhere).
    On the other hand, I barely post at all, only have 170~ likes, and pull a small crowd of people to come see my solo act.
    I haven't put any real effort into my online presence.
    Online is a weird, fake little place.

Facebook isn't fair on a lot of acts.
    The ones that you've mentioned, who post a load of absolute crap, will get the most 'likes' etc and FB will allow more of their posts to be seen.
    The ones who only post up about gigs, will not be seen, as they aren't posting enough and aren't getting enough attention for FB to allow their posts through to most of their own fans.
    Facebook chooses what you see. You obviously decide what bands you want to follow.
    If one band is getting attention for posting pics of their lunch, and the other band only posts a few times a week to advertise gigs, well the other band will get buried. You straight up won't see it.
    FB doesn't believe they're worth your time and therefore won't show you.

But if you post too often, Facebook will hide your posts from everyone, as they'll think you're a spammer.
    It's basically a game, and a terrible one at that.

I wish I didn't need FB. I only use it to keep in touch with like 2-3 friends, and post about music stuff.
    I've got like 60~ "friends" on there, and I genuinely couldn't give a toss what most of them are posting, I literally scroll straight past everything absorbing as little information as possible until I stumble across some music buy/sell stuff and have a geez.

There's only one band in town, who's acts I look forward to, and that's mostly because it's my friends band and I love to show them support.

Chrome Dinette likes this.
  20. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Unfollowing is your friend. If you need to check in they are still on your friend list.

Here most bands just post their gigs. The follow up stuff is mostly from friends who attend the performance.

Same with national bands, or at least the ones I follow.

More useful than not to me.

Flogger59, NashSG and Dave Orban like this.