Musician wanted ads on CL No drugs..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MONSTER ZERO, Feb 4, 2015.

1. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

It seems like through the years I get way less responses in my ads when I remember to include a "no drugs or heavy drinking" policy in the ads I've run. Not only that I regularly receive hate e-mail asking me what my problem is with drugs or people stating how good they are on their instrument but wouldn't be in a band with such prudes etc etc.

I do know around here unfortunately most bands use band time as an excuse to "party like a rock star". it seems like the current line up in my band is doing well with that policy but recently I had to fire a bass player that was coming to practice and rehearsals baked out of his mind. I know one thing it has never worked out letting a drunk or druggy into any band I've ever been in. I cannot empathize with the lifestyle so my tolerance level for it is next to nil.

I'm just curious about folks in other areas of the USA and globally.. If you have put up similar ads stating no drugs if you get the same types of responses?

I thought maybe my wording came off as condescending or rude but I read through a couple old ads and I don't see it that way.

For example here's the last ad I ran looking for a bass player..

"We need someone who is a good learner and does his/her homework. Our set list varies from Rock to Hard Rock. Someone who is punctual, shows up ready and doesn't get high or drunk at rehearsals or gigs. We rehearse once a week except for gig weeks. We play about 1-3 times a month depending on everyone's availability.

We are established, experienced and serious about being a great band and entertaining a crowd.
    backing vocals is a plus but not a deal breaker. Age range 30-50.

Let's talk before we start sending lists. Send a phone number and some info about yourself and we will do the same. E-mails not containing the aforementioned will be ignored.

This is a great situation for someone who wants to be in a good band that has fun without being wasted".

I personally don't see anything condescending or rude do you?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I've never put that in ads. I don't really care what people do as long as they can keep it together when we play.

3. sws1

sws1 Member

I think it's a red flag that someone would respond to your ad, questioning your drug stance and giving you attitude. That really tells me about someone's priorities.

Look away.

4. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

BTW I'm not talking about having a few beers, which is something I always do at gigs. I'm talking people who get wasted. It's got to be more than a coincidence that every single time I am in a band with someone who over does it with drugs or alcohol can't keep up or shows up hours late, skips load in/out or just plain blows off stuff.

5. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

Part of the trouble may be the USA's shifting opinion on what a "drug" is. I.e. Marijuana. Some people may have a few hits on the peace pipe in the comfort of their home at the end of a day and feel as though your ad is disqualifying them. Not sure those are the musicians you're worried about. Personally, I make sure to be specific about my expectations for practice and gigs, NOT home life. "Please be punctual, prepared, and clearheaded for practice and performance. Save catching a buzz for your own time, please!"

6. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Doesn't bother me... although the only playing out 1-3 times a month would probably be a deal breaker though. :Devil

7. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I've been thinking about putting together a dead/widespread/phish/moe thing. It's fun, fairly simple, and there is an audience for it here. I've been thinking about how to handle and screen for some of this as well.

A couple of beers, a toke... Not my thing but not a big deal. I wouldn't be in a band with the 28 year old me that let that get in the way of being reliable. And meth scares me. I don't want that anywhere near me, my gear, practice space and especially my family.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

Same here - practice weekly, gig 1-3 times per month??? - pass...

- georgestrings

9. stratamania

stratamania Member

Perhaps phrase it based more on what you want.

Bassist with a positive, sober, professional approach required for xxxx etc...

That way you ask for what you would prefer rather than what you don't want.

10. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

How many is a few?Sounds like 3 or more to me which definitely would impair most people.

11. clarkram

clarkram Member

this sounds like a better approach, although I would also drop the last sentence.

The OPs wording in his ad leaves the impression that everyone in the band must be super straight, probably not his intention, but thats how it sounds.

12. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

How often does your band rehearse and gig?

13. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

You come across as a bit of an autocratic tough guy with the line:

"Any email not including the aforementioned will be ignored" or however you put it.

Those kind of threats don't create a great impression.

(btw, "aforementioned" in a musician's ad, really?)

14. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway. I like a bout a 4:1 gig/practice ration. I don't understand bands that rehearse every week but gig once a month - not that that's what the OP is saying he's doing.

15. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

This.

Playing out every weekend doesn't interest me. That being said, I'm booked most weekends providing sound.

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I agree. I understand MZ's point but it comes across like the band won't be a whole lot of fun.

17. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I agree. lighten the mood. If I saw this ad I wouldn't have responded.

18. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I saw one I was very interested in and qualified for. But the ad stated they had had such a problem with no-shows for auditions, that they wanted a $10 PayPal deposit, guaranteeing I'd show up on time and, once I did, they'd send me back $11. Not joking. I emailed the guy, told him I was totally on top of that music, had never been late or unprepared in my life, have a job, transportation, pro-gear, experience, etc., but was not gonna do the PP thing. He told me my attitude was probably not gonna work with that band.

Almost two yrs. later I learned that my band had actually shared a gig with this band a while back and I told a mutual friend I'd love to be the guy they call if they need a new guitar player. Band leader told my friend he thought I had a bad a attitude from long-ago CL email exchange. Wow.

19. georgestrings

It depends - my last band probably rehearsed less than 10 times last year, but played 150+ gigs... When I joined, they had been together for a few years, and were pretty established - I got 2 rehearsals, and played 3 gigs in the next two weeks...

My current band has only been together for a little less than a month - we've probably had 6 or 7 rehearsals, and have played 3 gigs already... The goal is to rehearse around 2 times per month, though - and gig 7-8 times per month with this project...

No way in the world would this bass player commit *long term* to anything less than atleast a 3:1 gig vs rehearsal ratio - it's just not worth my time and effort... Sure, during the start up phase it wouldn't be that way - but if the goal wasn't ATLEAST 3:1 gigs/rehearsal, I wouldn't even consider it...

- georgestrings

20. georgestrings

Same here - although more often than not, IME *most* people who smoke weed while playing don't "keep it together" well enough - although I'd certainly be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they proved otherwise...

- georgestrings