• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Musician’s Friend and GC team up to sell floor models as new…

fjrabon

I think MF/GC may have started this last year when inventory was desperately low. Also now that states are taxing internet sales even without brick and mortar presence they may no longer need to maintain as much separation between MF and GC. They really should disclose if you are going to be shipped a GC floor model through MF and they should allow MF returns at GC though. I’m sure if you call MF when you order and know to ask, they can tell you where your order is coming from.
1) they’ve been doing this for at least 15 years

2) you can return MF purchases to Guitar Center. They don’t like to make this widely known, but I’ve done it. May depend on who you talk to at that moment.

JDB2

2) you can return MF purchases to Guitar Center. They don’t like to make this widely known, but I’ve done it. May depend on who you talk to at that moment.
I guess I stand corrected. It’s surprising MF was able to get away with not collecting sales tax for so long if they’ve been an online front for GC’s store inventory.

fjrabon

I guess I stand corrected. It’s surprising MF was able to get away with not collecting sales tax for so long if they’ve been an online front for GC’s store inventory.
The shared inventory thing they used to try very hard to hide. Most things came (and still come from) from their shared warehouse, rather from actual Guitar Centers. But they could always dip into actual GC store inventory if need be.

being able to do returns at GC for MF purchases is newish.

joesatch

Ordered one of their limited edition solid rosewood American Pro strats (rare metallic aqua model) last year it showed up with a dent and pick scratches. They confirmed when i called them they ship whatever's out in the store. NEVER AGAIN

TooMuchFiber

Silver Supporting Member
When you buy a floor model in GC, you might get a discount if you asked for one, but otherwise they generally won't offer one. I don't mind paying full price for floor models in good shape, because I know exactly what I'm getting. On the other hand, getting something new out-of-the-box can be a crapshoot. Is there a manufacturing defect? Is that combo amp going to rattle like hell?

Killed_by_Death

I like to set my deliveries to will-call pickup, because the UPS driver likes to transpose my address with someone up the street.
MF/GC put a restriction on deliveries, so you cannot set it to will-call on your own.
UPS says to get GC/MF to set it to will-call, but no !@#$%^ at any GC or MF understands this when you call them.
So I just don't buy from them!
For years I ordered heaps of stuff & set it all to will-call pickup & then suddenly I couldn't, so Adios to them.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
One winter day, a farmer found a snake by the roadside, stiff and motionless with cold.​
"If you put me inside your shirt," the snake said, "your body will make me warm and I won't freeze to death."​
"Oh, I know your kind," replied the farmer. "If I pick you up, you will bite me."​
"Oh no," the snake objected. "Why would I do such a thing, if you are good enough to help me?"​
So the farmer had compassion on the snake, and taking it up, he put it inside his shirt. The warmth quickly revived the snake, and resuming its natural instincts, it bit its benefactor, inflicting on him a mortal wound. "Oh," cried the farmer with his last breath, "why did you bite me? You promised you wouldn't."​
"Ah," said the snake. "So I did. But you knew I what I was when you picked me up."

And we know what GC and MF are before we order from them.

Coopster

Ordered a Les Paul Classic new from GC a couple of years ago. It was on sale for a decent price so I jumped. When I got it I was disappointed to find, like others here, it had been a floor model. There was some light nitro burn at the headstock from hanging on those crappy hangers and some surface scratches and other mild things. The case was devoid of "candy", I got the requisite paperwork but no baby pic, tool, or whathaveyous. If the guitar hadn't played as well as it does or sound as good, it would have gone back but I just like it so much! I did leave a review (which is no longer there of course) saying that it would be nice if they'd actually list it as such as Sweetwater does. I'm not opposed to demos or floor models as long as I know it's going to be a demo or floor model. It's not hard. And it's better business practices.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member

They explicitly told me I could not do this. Two different associates. I'm now waiting for the refund to be applied to my card...then, I won't bother with them any longer.

I miss being able to go to Alto Music. They had a good shop, price competitive, friendly service...maybe they'll resume normal ops again someday, who knows. I can order from them online, but they have possibly the worst website in the industry. Not up to date, some functions don't work, very frustrating...

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
Return with impunity.

I stay away from GC online unless it’s absolutely the last option. And if you have to, ship it to the store and open it up and demo it there.

Cheddar Kung Pao

Platinum Supporting Member
I had this happen to me last year. It's the last time I will ever order anything from GC/MF online. Not only was the item I was sent a floor model, it was beat to hell, lacked the original box, manual, etc. (It was a MIDI Controller.) On top of that I used a $100 GC Gift Card to pay for half of it and never got that refunded.

fjrabon

They explicitly told me I could not do this. Two different associates. I'm now waiting for the refund to be applied to my card...then, I won't bother with them any longer.

I miss being able to go to Alto Music. They had a good shop, price competitive, friendly service...maybe they'll resume normal ops again someday, who knows. I can order from them online, but they have possibly the worst website in the industry. Not up to date, some functions don't work, very frustrating...
Don’t they sell on reverb? I’m pretty sure I’ve bought from alto on reverb.

Coopster

And if you have to, ship it to the store and open it up and demo it there.
Highly recommend doing this if you're ordering any kind of tube amp or electronics. I ordered a Marshall head once off of the used section and had it shipped to the store. They opened it up for me and found the tubes were all damaged due to how it was packed. Luckily the rest of the head was fine. They ordered me up a brand new set and got them installed, no muss no fuss.

Non-rabbit

Guitar Center has always been happy to sell you a floor model at full price. Most music stores will in fact. You have to ask them to discount it and typically they will. With Musicians Friend it's more insidious obviously because you can't see before you buy. Terrible company really. Can't see why anyone shops there with Sweetwater crushing them on every possible aspect of the buying experience.

Killed_by_Death

You should never assume anything online and you should always inquire about the actual item you'll be receiving, request photos etc.
Have you ever called MF to inquire about an item that is supposed to be NEW?
I can tell you that they will NOT provide any additional information or take any photos for you.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
So I called MF. It turns out that “in stock” now just means if it exists anywhere in the MF/GC universe they sell it as new and send it From wherever. They don’t tell you about it up front. In my case, the GC gang that packed it up clearly didn’t give a crap about getting it to me safely and with all pieces that would come with a new one.

I learned this the hard way myself with a Taylor acoustic. Given what I have heard from Taylor reps, I was surprised that they had the model in stock at all. Got the guitar in a generic hard case and they didn't even bother to wipe the thing down. Dead strings, terrible setup, clearly a floor model. When I called to complain they tried everything to get me to keep it but in the end I made them send me a label and have UPS pick it up at my house. They were good about the refund but I mean, WTF.

Brian N

I order from Guitar Center because they give you the option to return directly to a store for a refund, no risk and no shipping. To me, not having to pay for shipping is worth more than the points you can earn (especially considering that once your MF rep sees you have points to spend, they may be less likely to give you a discount).

I've heard that MF also let's you return to GC, but since their return policy specifically says "no you can't do that" I dont risk it.

Brian N

Guitar Center has always been happy to sell you a floor model at full price. Most music stores will in fact. You have to ask them to discount it and typically they will. With Musicians Friend it's more insidious obviously because you can't see before you buy. Terrible company really. Can't see why anyone shops there with Sweetwater crushing them on every possible aspect of the buying experience.

Because MF reps will give you a discount if you call and ask, Sweetwater almost never, and with MF you earn quite a few points on each purchase. Plus, if you don't like an item, I've heard you can return it directly to guitar center, while with Sweetwater they make you pay for return shipping.

But if money is no object, I agree, Sweetwater is the way to go.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom