Musicians Friend - How are they for guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bunther, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Bunther

Bunther Member

I'm considering buying an Epi Limited 335 Pro. Musicians Friend has some. Guitar Center is out of them. Sweetwater never carried that model. I've had good experiences with Sweetwater. I believe Musicians Friend is connected with Guitar Center, and most of the Guitars I try at Guitar Center are mediocre, and so is the staff. What should I be prepared for if I buy from Musicians Friend? I don't have to have this guitar. If I would be wiser to wait until a used one comes up at one of my local GC stores, please say.

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Manufactures don't ship their mediocre stock to Guitar Center to and the good stuff to other places, so they should be as good as anybody. I've never had any trouble buying other stuff from them.

3. ixnay

ixnay Member

You'll get a guitar in a box that (probably) hasn't been opened, played, set up, etc.

Guitars at GC are thrown on the wall and played by dozens (or hundreds) of people and usually play as well as you would expect under the circumstances...

I prefer the new and untouched option. YMMV.

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I have had good luck buying guitars at both places. Sweetwater seems to take the guitars out of the factory boxes and set them up, then ship them in the factory box INSIDE another larger box with packing. Musicians Friend does not do this, but I have never had a problem with their guitars. So if you like that guitar and MF has it, there is no reason that I know of not to get it.

5. gdane4

gdane4 Supporting Member

I just bought one of these 2 months ago. My GC had a black one with the fatter neck. I wanted a blond with thinner neck. Talked with the sales guy and he was able to go online and find one at another store. He called them up and they pulled the guitar, gave in hand description and shipped it to my store. If I didn't like it once it got there I could have had another sent. I think I did pay about $17 ? For the shipping and paid in full before they sent it, but it worked out ok.
    Nice guitar. Fun to play. Needed a setup, nothing more.

6. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I bought a 2008 Gibson ES339 from MF and it was fantastic. Setup was perfect for me and it played great. The box had been opened by MF and I remember there being some type of sticker or tag in the box that said it had been inspected/Setup by MF.

7. spayne99

spayne99 Member

I've never gotten a 'bad' guitar from MF but I've also never purchased an expensive guitar from them. If it was a serious purchase I'd buy from Sweetwater where I can see the actual guitar I'm paying for. Save MF for the deals on impulsive purchases ;-)

8. wwit

wwit Member

I rely on internet mega stores a lot in the past several years. Really good dealings with MF, Zzounds and Sweet Water.

SW does offer its set up for new guitars. But does that mean it will be set up for you? Only time will tell. Setups can be different things to different players. Yes they do this and its better then nothing in most cases.

ZZounds, MF and GC do not do set ups for web based sales. So if you buy a new guitar from any, it should(should being the key word) come in a unopened factory box, inside a larger shipping box. So setups are up to the end user.

9. brandass

brandass Member

I've had good luck with guitars from MF, and the couple times there were issues they made the return and refund/replacement painless. Generally required setups, but I expect that in all cases aside from mom-and-pop.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I've bought 2 guitars from them, no problems at all.

11. davebc

davebc Member

I bought an aged Duane from them this time last year,
    Sent through my guy at GC.
    Phenominal guitar, phenominal deal, smooth transaction.
    They even pulled it from the warehouse and snapped extra pics for me.
    Doesn't get any better, and I buy too much stuff.

12. kselbee

kselbee Member

I recently bought a LP from MF and used the feature where you can select the exact one you want (so I could select the one with the top and weight I like). I didn't get the one I selected and wonder if anyone really does. I ended up keeping the guitar but was kinda bummed by this.

13. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

I've had great experiences with MF. USA Gibsons, USA Fenders and this new addition. I love their return policy and they are really good to work with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  14. ixnay

ixnay Member

I've received the exact serial number I selected every time I've done this with MF (7-8 times at least).

15. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I've bought 5 guitars from them. No problems at all. Two of my guitars came with no case or gig bag and they were double boxed.

16. samarshll

samarshll Member

Customer service is sketch. Had to call 4 times to get a resolution. However, they did pay for shipping for the return.

17. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

You can ALWAYs send the gtr back up to, what, 30 days.

18. ixnay

ixnay Member

45 days, unless it is over $2000 (10 days).

19. Bunther

Bunther Member

Thanks all for the feedback.

20. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

If the option were available I would go Sweetwater however, I have always had good experiences with MF. Sweetwater just seems a little more courteous.