Musicians Friend now stocking Fulltone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nibus, Feb 23, 2009.

1. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

2. storm319

storm319 Member

MF has sold Keeley, TRex, Redwitch, Cesar Diaz, and all of the Godlike companies (Maxon, Emma, Hao, Guyatone, Chunk) for years. Fulltone is hardly boutique since Guitar Center has been carrying them for years.

3. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

I don't see this as going very well, but I may be wrong. What do you think the Gibson Dealers are doing now that Best Buy has them? I'll bet they don't stock up like they used to. I don't think Mass Market and Boutique go well together. But that's just my opinion.

I told MF no a few years ago, because I was afraid of what it would do to the market for boutique pedals. Too many local stores already going out out of business.

4. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Yes I'm fully aware of the other booteek stuff MF has. I was merely pointing out that they are continuing to branch out and add more stuff to their inventory.
    :NUTS

5. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

While I understand what you're saying, I'm curious...as long as everyone involved is adhering to MAP pricing then there really shouldn't be any advantage to purchasing from Musician's Friend as opposed to your local shop, so why not reach the largest market(s) possible? For me if pricing is equal then local purchase and support is my choice.

6. steve gray

steve gray Member

BMF, they shouldn't carry them, because it hurting America to much at this point to support big corps like MF. Yes its nice to giving options to people, but to many people make the wrong choice. Like shopping at Walmart, rather then the local mom and pop whatever shop. I know its American to give people choices, but look how well Walmart, Starbucks and NAFTA has worked out for this country. I agree with Cusack .

7. alguit

alguit Member

Your regard for the local businesses is very admirable! I'm so sad seeing the little bookstores and hardware stores and such being replaced by Walmarts and Best Buys, and I don't mind having to search a bit for cool new gear and even waiting a few weeks here and there...in fact, it can be fun to show up at a gig (or on here) touting some new boutique kit that the rest of us can learn about-it's part of the excitement!

BTW, I really like your pedals!

8. storm319

storm319 Member

I do partially agree with Cusack's statement. I have found that when a boutique company starts distributing on a larger scale, the quality goes down because they end up needing to find alternate ways to keep up with the higher demand.

9. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

I'm glad you mentioned local hardware stores. I grew up working in my dad's hardware store. He had to close it about a year and half ago. He had been hurting because of the big stores that kept coming into town. It was sad to see it go, because he had all the things the big store didn't. You could buy a single nail from him if you wanted. He fixed windows, and screens, sharpened chains and lawnmower blades, etc. Store like that are all going away because of the Walmart mentality. Pretty soon you'll be throwing everything in the landfill, and not fix anything anymore. How can out lifestyle and our want for "green" be exactly opposing?

10. Ohsumyall Bmad

Ohsumyall Bmad Senior Member

And How's biz now since all those Maw and Paw stores have closed and you passed on what could have been a nice living for Cusak? BTW, I've not seen in Cusak in any stores, perhaps a little more exposure wouldn't hurt.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  11. alguit

alguit Member

"You could buy a single nail from him if you wanted."...man, do I miss that kind of service!

I went on a road trip a few summers back, drove through 17 states; I started to get so depressed by the "cookie cutter" look overtaking so many formerly-charming small towns: another Lowes followed by another Chilis followed by another Starbucks and Walmart, etc.

Please, let's keep the "boutique flag" flying!

12. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

13. Andre357

Andre357 Member

14. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Me too, you wont see our pedals at the megamusic store.

But they DON'T stick to the MAP when they want to blow things out. They were selling hundreds of Gibsons on ebay through a 3rd party (I bought one, SG special faded for $500 for a shop demo). I believe Gibson found out about this and had the seller removed from ebay. I hope I and the others who bought them will get our money back.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/online-auctions/33677-ebay-seller-35redluvr-2.html

I CANNOT STAND the big box store hardware stores, it takes at least 15 minutes to find anything, and half an hour to check out. I will drive much futher to go to a small hardware store where people always help me out and I can be in and out in 5 minites. And don't get me started on Target, all the Chinese crap I bought there fell apart, the first and last sneakers I bought there collapsed the 1st time I wore them...

have fun!

15. stratplayer80

stratplayer80 Senior Member

I agree with you 100% and that's why I continue to buy your products.

16. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

In my opinion this is all irrelevant in the big picture... In the minute fulltone is declared non-boutique, it improves the competition and quality in the mass produced market, and it opens room for new boutique players in that smaller market share...this has been the history of capitalism since day one.

17. steve gray

steve gray Member

yeah and capitalism is whoring its self out at this point. The idea of capitalism was invented before Wal-mart took hold of America. We need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to this country because big corps have just gotten to greedy. The other day a guy from Sweetwater called me wondering why i had not bought anything latley. When i told him i had been shopping at my local music store for the last year, he seemed horrified that i would dare to support a local music store lol. Its like come on man, you need to take a look at yourself and realize what you are doing by trying to talk me out of supporting a local shop. It ended with me hanging up on him.

18. vintagecrunch

vintagecrunch Senior Member

Okay we all hate the big retailer's, but tell me this... Why do so many people shop at them? It seems that there is this rally or call to arms that the "mom and pop shop" is the right way, the American way, but we overlook that a lot of small shops are expensive and less than freindly. They have much higher overhead and are usually staffed by musicians that can be rude, snotty and quite often hungover... I just don't buy that the big box is the ultimate evil, they have lots of negatives but so do small independent stores that controlled the market for decades.

Don't get me wrong, my favorite shop is a small Austin shop and I never shop at Guitar center, but the owner is a tool and the guys that work there have sometimes crappy attitudes so I could and have seen lots of people leave upsets saying they are going to GC.
    If fulltone ends up at MF then good for them, some people like the big retailers and some don't, some like small independent shops and some don't, what ever gets good gear in the hands of musicians for a fair price is good by me.

19. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I just watched the whole thing and yes, its funny as hell. But what Ive always liked about southpark is about half of the episodes have a message in it. That thought or message is more convincing and effective due to the parable of the related story. I hate to make this comparison considering the total irreverance of southpark and some of its episodes, but even Jesus used parables because it helps our mind grasp the message in a more realizing way. Watching this episode kinda makes alot of sense in regards to the foundation of this threads subject.

:D

Or maybe Im just tickled.

Was Fulltone making money at the boutique level? Why yes. Is he making MORE money now? Why yes. Good for him, good for him, good for him. If the quality drops a bit... he still wont feel it. Money, money, money... we cant pretend we all dont want some more of it.

As long as he doesnt sell out his personal morals/standards in the process, he will be ok.

20. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

My post was not meant to be taken as pro-mega stores, but more along the lines of this...

Again, I fully support local businesses but what about John Doe in Jamestown, NE who wants a Fulltone pedal and doesn't have any stores near him so he purchases from MF or AMS? Is he to blame for small businesses failing? We could go one step further...what about the used market? Doesn't that affect small business as well? If John Doe is buying Pedal X used then no one sees the money except for the seller.

This is a topic that could be argued for days with no one ending up 100% right or wrong.