Musicians Friend?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gibson Dog, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Hey - I read on here that a lot of people are happy buying from them & they say MF does give them discounts. I've called 4 times & spoke to 4 different people, they pretty much won't discount anything & when they will it's so small it's embarrassing they would be better off giving no discount.

I just bought an American Professional Tele from Sweetwater for $1,246. - Musicians Friend wouldn't go much under $1,500. They said they have no margin in that guitar but they also said if I can show them that's what I paid or was quoted they would match it. That makes no sense why would anyone go back to them so they can match a price?

Zero discount on -
    Keeley
    EQD
    Walrus
    Wampler
    Milkman
    JHS
    Fulltone
    Ctalinbread etc etc

You or I could call almost any music store in the country & get 15% off any of that without even trying. If you try you can get even more off so other than the points & 0% financing I don't see the point of dealing with them so am I missing something? With their buying power their cost is lower than almost anyone else but price wise they're way out of the ballpark IMO.

Thanks,
    Mike M -

JPIndustrie likes this.
  2. DGA

DGA Supporting Member

Just wait for one of the 15% coupons they give out at least once a month. Or you could hold out for a 20% coupon they give out a few times a year.

fretless and Gibson Dog like this.
  3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I would think lower quality product would be discounted, like Behringer, but not the more popular products you have listed. Quality rarely discounts, unless they marked it up higher and you don't get the drift of it all.

Gibson Dog likes this.
  4. Gibson Dog

Thanks, one of them did tell me about that but he said there are always exclusions. He said basically everything I want would be excluded. They all said they just got a new list of exclusions, I thought it was BS but I guess it isn't.

There are over 10 stores I could call right now & get at least 15% off any of those pedals. Also if you buy direct (not on reverb/ebay) there are still some states that don't charge sales tax. Basically I can get anything on that list I want for 25% less so I'm curious how they stay in business, it's strange.

5. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

A few years ago you could get 15% on anything over $299.00. That no longer applies. There are many more exclusions than they used to have. I do like dealing with them though. They have treated me very well.

Starshine and Gibson Dog like this.
  6. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    I can only imagine that there will be a lot of sales in the near future. Pro Audio Star has already posted sales. 15 or 20% off normal stuff and take an extra 5% off reduced inventory, or something like that!

Gibson Dog likes this.
  7. Gibson Dog

All 3 of the people I talked to told me the same thing "they had a bunch exclusions & they got an updated one this week & it's almost everything" they wouldn't help me with anything not even an American Pro Tele. So they're the same as Prymaxe 'save 20% (or whatever) site wide' or 'here's a VIP discount code for 25% off site wide" but it excludes pretty much anything anyone would want. But if you shop when they're on the chat they will give you at least 15% off on anything except Strymon.

I thought they were BS'ing me but it sounds like they weren't.

8. dacula789

dacula789 Member

It goes in cycles, I’ve gotten discounts at MF when SW wouldn’t and vice versa. If you can get 25% off somewhere else that’s where you should buy. A lot of times prymaxe discounts more than the big chains. I call around and negotiate with 8 to 10 different vendors.

JPIndustrie likes this.
  9. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

It is best if we forget discounts. The best way is to tell the store/sales person you are looking at product X. What's your best price and let them know you are shopping around. This discount stuff is just playing the fool's game.

10. Gibson Dog

That's exactly what I did? I called 4 times over a week & talked to 4 different people, I told them exactly what I want (gave them the item number) & what I could get it for. They wouldn't go below $1,489. I bought it from SW today for $1,206. he knocked another $40 off because they probably can't ship it for at least two weeks. I have a ton of 0% credit at MF & they can ship so I wanted to spend it, they won't get near prices on pedals or anything. That was my point I see people on here saying they work with them on price & are competitive but they 100% aren't even in the ballpark.

fretless, modavis99 and Steadfastly like this.
  11. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

That's why my momma told me id better shop around.

I have no loyalty to the box stores or chains. I buy by price alone

12. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Silver Supporting Member

I don’t think I’ve ever not gotten a discount at MF.

Gibson Dog likes this.
  13. Fudbutter

Fudbutter Member

It's 18% or 5% for discounted items. Problem seems to be that everything you want is a brand not included in the sale plus the "shop now" button does not take you to items that this applies do.

Poorly done Mr. PAS

Gibson Dog likes this.
  14. Fudbutter

Fudbutter Member

Five words:

Stupid Deal of the Day

worth looking at daily, every so often something you wanted comes up at a huge discount

fretless, Steve Hotra and 73171 like this.
  15. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I've always gotten discounts from them. In fact, I've never had Sweetwater give me a better price than MF. I've spent untold amounts of money with MF over the years and almost zero with Sweetwater despite usually giving them a chance at anything big.

16. Iplaypoorly

Iplaypoorly Member

Today I emailed Sweetwater and my rep told me “there’s no margin” and offered zero discount on the guitar I was trying to impulse buy lol. Emailed guitar center and got 18% off. So I bought it

fretless and Brian N like this.
  17. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I've generally had good luck getting discounts from MF but I've bought most of my new gear in recent years from them including a Strandberg, Helix, PowerCab, a couple wireless systems, and an audio interface. They didn't offer me great deals off the bat but I was pretty satisfied with the 8% rewards they offered on everything. After a couple big ticket purchases, I found them much more amenable to giving me discounts on excluded items.

I think the lesson is that it's not so much a matter of which retailer you deal with (I've had zero luck with Sweetwater, personally) but working your way up to "good customer" status that they're eager to accommodate.

18. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

sweetwater does better in my experience

19. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

Or you could just shop somewhere else. Money talks with greater volume with each passing week.

fretless likes this.
  20. JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie Supporting Member

They’re like GC (and same company), they never oblige when asked, but when comes time to flood your mailbox both virtual and real they will with fake promises...