Musiclily Humbucker Upgrade on Squier Bronco

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by DCFanatic, May 18, 2020.

Which pickup sounds better?

1. First One (Stock)

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Second One (Musiclily Blade HB)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both sound like crap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Supporting Member

In an effort to make this little bass more useable I ordered a cheapo Stratocaster size blade humbucker pickup from Amazon.ca. I made a before and after video with my HXSTOMP.

What do you guys think? Any improvement? Which do you prefer?

Bass is strung with D'Addardio Chromes Flatwounds and I replaced the Squier wiring with a single 250k CTS volume pot.

The first recording is with the stock pickup, the second is with the Musiclily HB.

Here is the pickup I bought: [​IMG][​IMG]

2. soulman969

soulman969 Member

I don't hear a huge difference and in the end which you prefer is more important than which any of us prefers. As long as you have the dual blade pickup in it now I'd just stick with it but that's me.

3. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

The most important thing on a Bronco is to lose the thick white pickguard. My go-to on old Musicmasters was the EMG Select single coils, which were humbucking, and you could sand and buff the plastic cover to look like the stock pickup. There are a lot of choices, just depends on what your eye wants to see visually and if you want a hum canceling design or not. I usually do.

4. Alanko

Alanko Member

The stock pickup has more treble content and maybe a slightly deeper presence? The hotrail pickup seems more bunched in towards the mid frequencies. Saying that, you chose an EQ profile that doesn't really favour the treble frequencies from either pickup, so maybe a flat DI recording would reveal more subtlety and nuance.

Either pickup would work in a recording situation, but the hotrail pickup will be less noisy which is always helpful.

5. MikeyT

MikeyT Supporting Member

More clarity on the stock pickup. You can always use EQ with the stock pickup to sound like the hot rail but it would be difficult the other way around.