Musicman 112RD Fifty users: anyone out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JJexp, May 14, 2015.

1. JJexp

JJexp Member

Any Musicman 112RD Fifty users out there? Tell me about yours! I got a second one coming in and I'm super stoked. What kind of speakers are in yours? How do I link up two of them? Anyone using the limiter channel?
    I would love to hear YOUR take on these!

2. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

I've had several 50W Music Mans, two heads and a 112 combo; they're all the same circuit. I currently have a 112 combo with an Eminence Red, White & Blues installed, and I use it mainly for lap steel but occasionally for guitar as well. By coincidence, I ordered a 50W head to replace it today, as my needs have shifted and I'd rather have a head than a combo.

Like most players, I use the clean channel exclusively. It's the only Fender-designed sound that I like. The distortion channel gets a lot of flack... and it deserves it. It's absurdly compressed and has very little in the way of treble frequencies. Fuchs has developed a mod to make it usable, but I've never heard it. The good news is that you can stick a good OD pedal in front of the clean channel and you're all set.

3. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

Now do those amps use a solid-state preamp? Tube power section right?

4. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I used an RD50-112, with an ElectroVoice speaker, as my main amp, for about 25 years. I used NOS Tung Sol 5881's in mine, which reduced the white noise quite a bit. I later replaced the Music Man with a Kustom '36 Coupe, then a Vox TB18C1, both using an Eminence Lil' Texas Speaker. All three are great amps, that I liked more than my vintage Fenders. I would have like to have tried the Lil' Texas in the RD50.

5. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Yup, one 12AX7 for the distortion but the rest of the preamp is transistorized. The output is 2X6L6.

6. russ

russ Supporting Member

I have the 100 watt version with the stock EV. Great amp.

7. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I have a 110RD50. It's constructed out of such quality components that it seems a shame to have it sound so lifeless. For mods there are basically two ways to go. Fuchs will do a complete gut and turn it into an ODS model. Another way to go that isn't so drastic is to have Ed Goforth work it over. http://www.pacair.com/discus/messages/17/1908.html?1257062679
    He can make the clean channel breath better and totally change the distortion into something much more realistic, so he says. I'm thinking of going this route because it doesn't change the appearance.

8. JJexp

JJexp Member

I've heard about Ed Goforth, I'll probably end up taking my current 112RD Fifty to him for servicing. I'm really into these lil guys, they pack a mean LOUD tone so if he can improve on that...
    I still have to figure out how to link the two together.

9. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

Mine is not lifeless, I just like my 70's Silverface Princeton Reverb better.