Musicman Died

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by CharlieK, Dec 23, 2009.

1. CharlieK

CharlieK Member

My primary amp is a DRRI. I often connect this to the Musicman 210RP 100 by plugging a patch cable from DRRI input to MM input and point that across the stage for other band members to hear me. This weekend I did this and between sets noticed that the power light on the MM was out. I went up and looked at it and immediately noticed a burnt smell. The amp will not power up. Any ideas? This amp was immaculate but I hate to start throwing a bunch of money at it if it's a major repair.

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Burnt fuse?Check the fuse,it will emit an odor when they blow.If it is the fuse,you may have a bad power tube that caused the fuse to blow.

3. Billy Penn

Billy Penn Member

Sounds like a tube failed and possibly burned a resistor which caused the fuse to blow. Check the fuse and replace it if it's bad. Take out the power tubes and see if it fires up and stays on. This will probably narrow it down to the tubes. Post back when you check it out.

4. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Had a switch go on me that way. Burnt smell, and atsa no good. Worth looking at, as those things do wear out.

5. CharlieK

CharlieK Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to narrow it down based on the ideas presented. The tubes were relatively new JJ 6L6s I bought to replace the 30 year old power tubes in there. I guess anything is possible....

6. CharlieK

CharlieK Member

Finally had a little time to look into this. Replaced the fuse and turned the amp on. Both tubes (new JJs) lit up. Turned the amp from standby to low power and it blew the fuse and the amp died. Replaced the JJs with the old tubes which both worked before being replaced by the JJs. Only one of the old tubes lit up in standby so I didn't even try to go further.

Any other ideas?

7. danny60

danny60 Member

Pull the power tubes and turn the amp full on. You may have gotten a "new" bad tube.

8. CharlieK

CharlieK Member

Just did this and the fuse blew immediately.

9. Roundtone

Roundtone Member

A bad filter cap can do this with good tubes.

10. CharlieK

CharlieK Member

Thanks for all the help. I was hoping for something real simple. Since, I'm no tech a visit to the amp doctor is in my future.