Musicman Luke and EMG question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Eric Pykala, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Just picked-up a dead-mint Musicman Luke, a particularily toneful example. I'm looking to get some better middle-plus-bridge quack sounds, and think it's probably the EMG 85 at fault. Has anyone tried putting an EMG 89 in the bridge position to get that real quack? If you did, how does it sound as a full humbucker in comparison to the 85? Just trying to improve an already outstanding guitar.-Eric

2. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

I don't have a Luke, but I have a Valley Arts Custom Pro. I ended up putting the 58 back in because I have the EXG and the Presence controls on it and I found I could roll high and low end into the 58 with the EXG, but couldn't roll out low end of the 85. With those two controls I got more realistic "quack" plus I could turn the weaker 58 into an 85.

3. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Gotta love Custom Pros! The 89 is supposed to be a SA all by itself for the quack sound, with the option of adding the second coil for hummer sounds. Middle-plus-bridge is a must-have sound for me in a strat-style guitar. Wish I had room for an EXG and SPC, but may still lose my tone in favor of an SPC.
    Anyone tried it?-Eric

4. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

I'll have to try the 89 then.

5. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Just buy a silhouette special!

There is some magic in the Luke neck though.

6. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

The R version just puts the singlecoil closest to the neck instead of the bridge, but it's certainly a thought. Weird dealing with EMG stuff after a lifetime of passive stuff.-Eric

7. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

the 89 is very close to an 85 in terms of tone, maybe a little brighter.... and when used in SA mode sounds very good... this is a mod I've thought about with regard to my Luke as well... if you want that second position quack then its a good mod.

8. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

The 89 actually has three coils in it. An SA and then 2 for the humbucker mode. I like mine a lot I just gotta get a guitar to put it in.

9. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

That does it. I'm gonna get me one of them 89s, then I'll let you know how it sounds in the Luke. Thanks for all the input!-eric