musicmaster bass amp mod from torres... opninions?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by sleepykeith, Aug 10, 2006.

1. sleepykeith

sleepykeith Member

i have a couple musicmaster bass amps that i run stereo with my tele.
    one has the original speaker, one has a celestion g12 30.

has anyone done this mod from torres?
    http://www.torresengineering.com/musbasmag.html

i've heard people recommend it, but i don't know if it will produce the sound i want. i'd like the amps to have as much headroom as possible, and not break up until cranked to 10.

thanks!

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    "Tweed Champ Tones" kinda indicates that this mod isn't about clean headroom.

3. hasserl

hasserl Member

I don't know what the kit entails, but Torres kits typically are a couple of caps and resistors worth less than 1/10 of what the kit price goes for. And their value for enhancement of the amps they are intended for is even more dubious.

Again, I don't know what the kit does, they give no information about it at all. But I wonder if increased headroom is it, I kind of doubt it is. These amps are simple early designs that tend to break up early and often, it's just part of their charm. If you're wanting more clean headroom you'd probably do better with a different amp.

I love my MM Bass, it is one of the 6AQ5 models. I've swapped out the stock speaker with a Weber Alnico Signature 12 and I love it just as it is. BUt headroom is not what I'm looking for, crunchy overdrive distortion is, and it does a great job of that.

4. sleepykeith

sleepykeith Member

yeah, don't get me wrong. i like the amp! i rarely have the volume past 3 and it does what i need, i was just saying that if i made any mods to it i would want to give it more headroom, not less.

hasserl, can you tell me the specific differences in tone between the stock speaker and the weber?
    thanks!

5. hasserl

hasserl Member

The stock speaker is wimpy and breaksup and farts out badly. It is the weak link in the system. The alnico Signature 12 is a very good match for the amp. It gives that cheap tweed sound, it does breakup and it compresses when pushed. But it doesn't fart out. The compression smooths the distortion and it just flat works well. A 12A125 or 12A150 might work even better, but they are comparitively expensive. The Signature 12 is good value and a good match.

On the other hand, if you looking for increased headroom you might be able to pick up a bit here with a different speaker. Something with a little more efficiency and added clarity. Take a look at Weber's and Eminence's line of speakers and see if one of them may do the trick.