Musicomlab MKV: HELP no sound

eagle2x

Ok, so I put together a new board focusing around the MKV. NO SOUND. I soldered all cables using squareplug and morgami 2319 cable. I tested all cables with a multimeter prior to installing so I know they work. Once I powered it up I confirmed I have the latest firmware and the tuner out works and I can tune the guitar. Other than my tuner, here is the chain:
Loop 1: Analogman Sunface NKT275
Loop 2: Analogman Beano Boost
Loop 3: Cali76 Compact Deluxe
Loop 4: Klon KTR
Loop 5: Clean Boost side of King of Tone
Loop 6: Overdrive side of King of Tone
Loop 7: 1986 RAT
Loop 8: H9 (but also use input 2 and output 2 for amp effect loop)
Loop 9: Mobius

Then out to amp (Dr Z Cure), then effect loop send to this1smine mini buffer to Timeline, then to Flint then to input 2 of H9 and the output of H9 to amp effects loop return. I did this with the H9 so I could use harmonizer and other sounds pre amp and then still have reverb and delay available post pre amp in effects loop. I am wondering if this is the culprit.

Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting? Thanks!

phazersonstun

I use a Musicomlab as well.
With switching systems I’ll always start troubleshooting (or testing while putting it together!) with the main signal path:

guitar / pre-switcher pedals / switcher input / switcher output / post-switcher pedals/ amp input on a blank preset with no loops engaged.

Leave the amps fx loop completely out of the equation for now. Disconnect it.

Once everything is cool with the main signal path, test one loop at a time.

Cool there? Ok. Now check out the amps fx loop.

This is the least frustrating way I can think of to handle switching nightmares.

eagle2x

This process is great advice. I'll take that effects loop out and go one step at a time. I should have done that PRIOR to fully assembling the board. Lesson learned. I'll report back after I hopefully find the issue.

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
Test one loop at a time until you find the issue, then you can troubleshoot the specific hardware/settings that are likely to cause an issue at that point in the chain.

Re the cables, did you peel off the thin black layer around the inner conductor’s insulation? I ask because, statistically and speaking from actual experience helping troubleshoot, this is the problem in the majority of threads like these :) (and testing with a tester will not necessarily identify the issue, since the result is not a binary ‘works’ or ‘doesn’t work’ ....).

eagle2x

Rumbletone you are on to something. I did peel off the black layer, however, after removing the L Out from the Musicomlab and using a regular guitar cable to the amp I got sound. Also, I noticed that the guitar in cable made a cracking noise as a note is plucked. I guess my cable soldering was not as good as I thought. I may have also removed too much of the outer layer of the cable so when I screwed the SP500 plugs onto the cable the screw may be making contact with the ground as I noticed the outer layer was not pinched under the screw. I'll have to take this one cable at a time. Quite a learning experience. I'll report back after I get through with this never ending project.

Trending Topics