Musicomlab switcher... Which version for me?

strings4v

I'm searching for a programmable loop switcher and I can't decide between musicomlab efx mk iii+ and mk iv..
I've got an amp that has a 3 pin footswitch (channel, boost, fx loop) so i'd like to control those with the looper.
The only glitch I can think of in mk iii+ is in the instant access mode, sometime I'll have to click a lot of buttons to get to a certain fx as each button corresponds to 3 loops to choose from.. Mk iv has 2 each so it's better. Mk iv has a computer editor and a "setlist mode" which seem to make a life easier but $$$ follows.
Anyone moved from iii+ to iv? If so (or if not) why?

Classic09

As far as I can tell the major differences between the MKIII+ and the MKIV are THE MKIV has
1. Additional loops
2. Variable location of output to the amps
3. Song mode

If you don't need those, the three is for you.

strings4v

As far as I can tell the major differences between the MKIII+ and the MKIV are THE MKIV has
1. Additional loops
2. Variable location of output to the amps
3. Song mode

If you don't need those, the three is for you.
Could you specify what you mean by #2?
Also how does the song mode work? How does it necessarily make things easy and etc..

stilwel

Have you considered the Boss ES-8?

It has 9 loops and you can change the routing order of the loops per preset.

stilwel

I'd need function switches to control my amp as well though.. Doesn't ES-8's lack those?
It has 6 Control outputs. You should read up in it. It's the most versatile pedal switcher out there and very reasonably priced vs the high-end competition.

lifeinsong

There were a couple of used ES-8's on Reverb.com yesterday. Much more flexible than the MusicomLab stuff.

strings4v

There were a couple of used ES-8's on Reverb.com yesterday. Much more flexible than the MusicomLab stuff.
It does look like it's more flexible.. also much longer.
Can I instant access function controls as well? (amp channel switching, boost on/off and etc) On musicomlab units, LED's light up for the function control to tell me the status of my amp essentially. Do I get a similar indication from the Boss unit?

Classic09

Could you specify what you mean by #2?
Also how does the song mode work? How does it necessarily make things easy and etc..

The MKIII+ had 4 loops and the first output to amp, then another 4 loops, then another output to amp.

The MKIV resolves this by enabling the output to amp to occur at any stage of the loops.

Song mode means 1 preset can be arranged across multiple patches. The MKIII+ capability means that each preset has to be manually set for every patch.

Classic09

Does anyone know that function controls can be instantly accessible as well?

It depends what you classify as instant access. Wherever you are in the presets, One button has to be pressed o access the IA mode. Once there, a second button needs to be pressed to cycle through the Footswitch options. E.g. The MKIII+ requires two presses to access FS6, then a third to activate the FS.

I love my MKIII+ but it is one of the minor limitations of the designs. That being said, to access everything at one click would require a far larger board.

As someone who has upgraded from the MKIII+ to the MKIV (and SERIOUSLY considered the Boss ES-8!) I can chime in...

Pros:-
1. Setlist mode is a godsend if you play gigs. Brilliant
2. Much better editing of MIDI (easy to bulk edit quickly from the board), plus the PC editor makes it MUCH easier to rename stuff
3. Preset and Song mode still very useful for jams / off the cuff stuff
4. Instant Access mode has more buttons so a bit easier to jam, but still have to switch to second page if u have a lot of loops
5. More flexible in terms of CC control - really easy to add functions like Freeze/Infinite/Tap tempo etc - even if u have many loops, just add a new page of CC controls...
6. Much better LCD screen with names... really helpful

Cons:-
1. Bigger (but not much bigger)
2. Jacks are close together so u need small jacks - Evidence SIS work well...
3. Overkill if u only need 4-6 loops (I don't use loops for my MIDI pedals - Strymon's etc, as u can send a CC bypass control - this frees up loops)

To the OP - depending on your needs, you would not necessarily need the H9 and the M5 in an EFX loop (just control them with MIDI), this would mean you could even look at the EFX Lite 6M - it has 6 loops and can control 2 midi devices.

I'm hoping the new EFX Lite 62M will control 4+ midi devices and have setlist support - i.e. be a smaller MKIV.

In my board I have a TC Nova Drive -> Strymon Mobius -> Strymon Timeline -> Strymon BigSky and these are all hooked up after the EFX and are engaged on a preset basis via MIDI cc messages. Works great and saves on cables!

With respect to the Boss ES-8, it's a GREAT controller and product, but is simply too big for me - it's about a pedal wider than the MKIV which meant it simply couldn't fit on my board.

After a few gigs, my board is already too big, and as i don't drive it's a nightmare to transport around. It's an awesome near perfect board, but i'd like to get the same kind of recall / lack of tap dancing as I do now but in a smaller footprint.

strings4v

Thank you for such an insight!
Agreed on the ES8 being too big in size... My new power supply is already huge and heavy (CAE MC403) so I'd like to keep the physical size of the board to the minimum.
What makes giving up ES8 hard though, is that in IA mode, I can hit each button of the 8 loops and turn that pedal on w/o hitting extra switches.
I do need 8 loops and need to control my amp with 3 function switches.. so Lite6M won't cut it.

Musicom iii+ meets the criteria except IA loops are divided into 3 groups (which can mean I have to hit 4 buttons to turn 1 pedal on on the fly)
Also the song mode does sound intriguing.. something that will make my life easier ha!

As someone who has upgraded from the MKIII+ to the MKIV (and SERIOUSLY considered the Boss ES-8!) I can chime in...

Pros:-
1. Setlist mode is a godsend if you play gigs. Brilliant
2. Much better editing of MIDI (easy to bulk edit quickly from the board), plus the PC editor makes it MUCH easier to rename stuff
3. Preset and Song mode still very useful for jams / off the cuff stuff
4. Instant Access mode has more buttons so a bit easier to jam, but still have to switch to second page if u have a lot of loops
5. More flexible in terms of CC control - really easy to add functions like Freeze/Infinite/Tap tempo etc - even if u have many loops, just add a new page of CC controls...
6. Much better LCD screen with names... really helpful

Cons:-
1. Bigger (but not much bigger)
2. Jacks are close together so u need small jacks - Evidence SIS work well...
3. Overkill if u only need 4-6 loops (I don't use loops for my MIDI pedals - Strymon's etc, as u can send a CC bypass control - this frees up loops)

To the OP - depending on your needs, you would not necessarily need the H9 and the M5 in an EFX loop (just control them with MIDI), this would mean you could even look at the EFX Lite 6M - it has 6 loops and can control 2 midi devices.

I'm hoping the new EFX Lite 62M will control 4+ midi devices and have setlist support - i.e. be a smaller MKIV.

In my board I have a TC Nova Drive -> Strymon Mobius -> Strymon Timeline -> Strymon BigSky and these are all hooked up after the EFX and are engaged on a preset basis via MIDI cc messages. Works great and saves on cables!

With respect to the Boss ES-8, it's a GREAT controller and product, but is simply too big for me - it's about a pedal wider than the MKIV which meant it simply couldn't fit on my board.

After a few gigs, my board is already too big, and as i don't drive it's a nightmare to transport around. It's an awesome near perfect board, but i'd like to get the same kind of recall / lack of tap dancing as I do now but in a smaller footprint.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom