Musikraft fretwork - how good?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by spookyelectric, Mar 26, 2015.

1. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

Trying to figure out how decent Musikraft's fretwork is. I'm thinking about stainless steel frets for a neck I'll be ordering, but only wanted to go this rout if the fretwork didn't need any leveling/crowning.

No one around my neck of the woods will work on SS frets without doubling what they charge for leveling/crowning, if they even agree to work on them at all.

2. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Their fretwork is quite excellent from my experience with them. Been using their necks regularly for about 5 years now. I always give the frets a light level and crown when I build a guitar but I'm sure it would be fine without.

3. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Supporting Member

I bought a neck from Musikraft with 6100 frets. The only work I did on the frets was to file down the ends slightly because there was a bit of fret end "sprout" due to the dry Winter weather shrinking the neck wood slightly.

I am playing the guitar I put that neck on now and the frets are perfect (with no further crowning after I received it from Musikraft). No buzzes anywhere... neck is perfectly straight. I have no need to have anything done to the frets.

4. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I worked with Musicraft, Allparts and Warmoth necks. All will need a basic fret dressing with any new installation. 4xxx Steel wool, or synthetic is even better.

5. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Ive been using a Strat neck from them with 6100 frets and its one of the best feeling necks Ive played. I did have my tech polish the frets to take off the nitro spray, but it didn't need any crowning at all.I would buy from them again...no worries!

6. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I have a beautiful large volume maple neck, straight through, no fingerboard, 6105 fretted, made by Musikraft. They did a nut for it too. It has a 12" radius and will support action at 1/16" easily, could be lower, but I don't like buzzing and don't like chasing truss rods, even though I keep the relief flat. I cannot imagine selling this neck, it is a tour de force.

7. spookyelectric

That's just to shine them up, right? That's easy enough to do, I just don't want to have to spend even more for a level/crown on SS since I'll already be spending more on the SS frets to begin with.

8. spookyelectric

And it was that awesome straight out of the box? Good to know-- thanks man!

9. zastruga

zastruga Member

I've got three Musikraft necks and they're some of the nicest I've ever played. Fretwork and all.

[​IMG]

10. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

Four Musikraft necks, and all came with great fretwork.

11. 0018g

0018g Member

Used two so far. One was spot on, the other I leveled, but I expect to level any new neck. The quality of the necks themselves TOP NOTCH-my favorites so far.

12. pgoon

pgoon Member

really? mine only had 22... :huh

pelle31 likes this.
  13. boppstar

boppstar Supporting Member

I've purchased 3 from Musikraft - a Tele, a JM, and a Jaguar neck. All 3 were perfectly level, though I polished the frets because I like my frets to be shiny and slick. The JM and the Jaguar necks both have SS frets.

14. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

the best necks and fretwork I have personally ever had came from:
    1.Suhr
    2.Carvin
    3.Musikraft

So yes, Musikraft frets are pretty darn good.

15. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

I've had 11 Musikraft necks. I still have 10 of them, and all were fantastic right out of the box...and I'm a picky sonafabeeeyotch!