Musikraft's 60's Strat Profiles

Hi everyone, I made some research but didn't find anyone who has tried MK's "Thin C-1" profile. I'm building a Slab Board 62' MJT Strat and for my Musikraft neck, they offer 2 profiles. Thin C-1 (.78 @1st Fret, .97 @12th fret) and Thin C-2 (.79-.89). I've contacted them and they said both of them are taken from real 60's Strats. Has anyone tried that 78-97 profile? I wonder if that .97 is going to be too fat.
I had a 2009 52' AVRI Tele before, and it's neck made me go crazy for some songs even though I've got really big hands, I wonder if it'll end up like that at 12th fret area.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Here's how I put things into perspective with a recent purchase case:

Of course, .01" difference at the 1sr fret is next to nothing.

.08" difference is about 2mm. If you have a guitar that is close to one of these measurements, grab a ruler and look at a 2mm (or 5/64") difference ... and how it might effect your hand.

With a .08" difference, the difference in shape to accommodate the different profile measurement will be more noticeable than the thickness itself; which the human hand might not even be able to detect "on a 2D surface".

Measurement converter:

https://www.inchcalculator.com/inch-fraction-calculator/

Last edited:
Here's how I put things into perspective with a recent purchase case:

Of course, .01" difference at the 1sr fret is next to nothing.

.08" difference is about 2mm. If you have a guitar that is close to one of these measurements, grab a ruler and look at a 2mm (or 5/64") difference ... and how it might effect your hand.

With a .08" difference, the difference in shape to accommodate the different profile will probably be more noticeable than the thickness itself; which the human hand might not even be able to detect.

Measurement converter:

https://www.inchcalculator.com/inch-fraction-calculator/
You are right, I measured my MIM Blacktop Tele (It had strings on so the thickness isn't exactly correct) and it measured .87"/22mm at 1st to .91"/23mm at 12th, it doesn't feel any thick on my hands, so I guess (and hope) I won't have any problem with the Thin C-1. Thanks!

FWIW, i’ve got four musikraft necks, all of different dimensions and every single one of them is exactly what I expected it would be. They do absolutely stunning fretwork as well.

FiestaRed869

Musikraft has tons of C Shape options, not to mention they will do a custom one. There’s about 10 to choose from, not sure where you only saw 2. My favorite stock C they have is the 83-92. Just thick enough at the nut, and not to chunky down the neck. You’d be surprised how you feel .01. I have a guitar from them that’s .82-.90 and one that’s .83-.91 and they feel like completely different necks. My advice is go to a local music store and play the classic series 60 or the new vintera 60s. They measure .82-.90. From there you can decide

The difference between the 2 you posted is night and day.

Edit: your mind will play tricks on you. The thicker the neck gets up the neck the thinner the neck at the first fret will feel. You’ll want a thicker first fret the chunckier the neck gets. That’s why so many guitars feel so different, everything effects how it feels

Last edited:

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I ask the OP to watch for typos, there is no way (in the original post) that a .97 is correctly titled "thin C-1".

Musikraft has tons of C Shape options, not to mention they will do a custom one. There’s about 10 to choose from, not sure where you only saw 2. My favorite stock C they have is the 83-92. Just thick enough at the nut, and not to chunky down the neck. You’d be surprised how you feel .01. I have a guitar from them that’s .82-.90 and one that’s .83-.91 and they feel like completely different necks. My advice is go to a local music store and play the classic series 60 or the new vintera 60s. They measure .82-.90. From there you can decide

The difference between the 2 you posted is night and day.

Edit: your mind will play tricks on you. The thicker the neck gets up the neck the thinner the neck at the first fret will feel. You’ll want a thicker first fret the chunckier the neck gets. That’s why so many guitars feel so different, everything effects how it feels
Yeah they've got lots of C shape options, but what I'm going for is a real early 60's Fender, and only those 2 are taken from them as I understand. I'm sure the taper and the feel of the neck will not be the same like the others since the taper will be copied from the original Fenders too.

FiestaRed869

Yeah they've got lots of C shape options, but what I'm going for is a real early 60's Fender, and only those 2 are taken from them as I understand. I'm sure the taper and the feel of the neck will not be the same like the others since the taper will be copied from the original Fenders too.
I’m shocked to see those specs as an early 60s Strat neck. You usually see .80-.84 at the first fret for 60-64 Strats. Truth is those necks were all over the place due to hand sanding. I wouldn’t get so wrapped up in what is exactly vintage correct and more what feels right. Odds are you can find an early 60s Strat that measures almost anything between .79 and .85 at the first.

if your in jersey I have lots to try

I ask the OP to watch for typos, there is no way (in the original post) that a .97 is correctly titled "thin C-1".
I told Musikraft that the .97" confuses me and asked how the 78-97 feels in terms of thickness, the only respond I got was "We took it from a real 60's Strat and believe it or not, people dig it."..
note: I'm trying to add a photo of the shapes but can't. https://musikraft.com/faq-2/ There's a simulated pic under "6 strings back profile" section.

if your in jersey I have lots to try
Thank you very much, but I'm in Italy :/

FiestaRed869

The current Mexico standard Strats are .82-.89 I believe. Go try some player series and see if you want it thicker or thinner

FiestaRed869

I told Musikraft that the .97" confuses me and asked how the 78-97 feels in terms of thickness, the only respond I got was "We took it from a real 60's Strat and believe it or not, people dig it."..
note: I'm trying to add a photo of the shapes but can't. https://musikraft.com/faq-2/ There's a simulated pic under "6 strings back profile" section.

Thank you very much, but I'm in Italy :/
Most guitars don’t have that huge of a taper. I’ve never played a guitar even close to that. My advice buy a cheap pair of calipers and measure all your Strats and friends strts to get a feel for what feels like what

TheMindful

My 63 jazzmaster is incredibly close to those dimensions. .775 at first fret, .96 at 12th. Taper is pretty crazy, but a really cool feel. From fret 1 to about 5 it's somewhat flat, almost Jackson like, and then it beefs up, getting much rounder around fret 8. I recently ordered the LP 59 neck for an upcoming build because the area from frets 8-12 on the jazzmaster is where I think the neck feels best, and the 59 is measured .87-.97.

Stewmac also set their 62' profile necks for .83 @1st, .95 @7th, .985 @12th fret.

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Too...ck_Shaping_Templates_for_Electric_Guitar.html

My 63 jazzmaster is incredibly close to those dimensions. .775 at first fret, .96 at 12th. Taper is pretty crazy, but a really cool feel. From fret 1 to about 5 it's somewhat flat, almost Jackson like, and then it beefs up, getting much rounder around fret 8. I recently ordered the LP 59 neck for an upcoming build because the area from frets 8-12 on the jazzmaster is where I think the neck feels best, and the 59 is measured .87-.97.
Does the taper of it make it uncomfortable to play? Would you prefer it to be more "normal taper"? oh and.. Does it feel SO (like, a lot) fat?

Sorry for my stupid questions but I've waited 3-4 years to start this project and want to be sure before ordering :) I just can't imagine how that taper and thickness will be combined with a C shape.

Last edited:

FiestaRed869

Stewmac also set their 62' profile necks for .83 @1st, .95 @7th, .985 @12th fret.

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Too...ck_Shaping_Templates_for_Electric_Guitar.html

Does the taper of it make it uncomfortable to play? Would you prefer it to be more "normal taper"? oh and.. Does it feel SO (like, a lot) fat?

Sorry for my stupid questions but I've waited 3-4 years to start this project and want to be sure before ordering :) I just can't imagine how that taper and thickness will be combined with a C shape.
Your never gonna going to know until you play it, and I don’t know any modern guitar you could go try out. I also was obsessed with getting a vintage spec 62 strat and did all the research. What I found was there is no exact shape/thickness. They really weren’t consistent at all. USACG has a 63 template that was .83-.90, fenders 60 reissue for a long time was .82-.90, and so on and so on. What this means is I would figure out what feels comfortable and use that, and it’ll be just as much a 62 then any other neck. The Musikraft 83-92, to me is super comfy and just as much a 62 as any other. I believe this is very close to the silver sky, and that is taken right from John Mayer’s vintage guitar. With the taper like .79-.97 you’ll either love it or HATE IT, leaning more towards hate. I don’t like those odds spending money for a neck. Just my opinion, but if you don’t care about the money Go for it!! Unfortunately most of us don’t have that luxury. Not to mention it will be very tough to sell. Good luck

Also forget about the taper, .97 is thick on its own. Thrown in .79 at the 1st it’ll feel even thicker. What Strats do you have now to compare ?

Last edited:

TheMindful

Nah it is one of the top 3 comfortable necks I've ever played. My fingers are a bit long/hands a bit large, so I do have some issues hanging around the open chord position for too long, and might get a little strain, but I've adjusted my technique. I'm also a bit concerned my fatter impending Musikraft neck will throw me off somewhat, as I've developed a lot of material with wider spaced chord voicings/fingerings and hope the bigger neck won't hinder that too much.

Bit of a gamble, but tangents aside, the vintage jazzmaster taper is really smooth for the amount it changes in a short distance. My mind was blown when my tech gave me the measurements for the 12th fret (.96), it feels really comfortable and natural. Slightly girthier than standard Fenders I've known but I love it and can't wait to have a neck that's closer to that throughout its length.

phr0sty

Hi everyone, I made some research but didn't find anyone who has tried MK's "Thin C-1" profile. I'm building a Slab Board 62' MJT Strat and for my Musikraft neck, they offer 2 profiles. Thin C-1 (.78 @1st Fret, .97 @12th fret) and Thin C-2 (.79-.89). I've contacted them and they said both of them are taken from real 60's Strats. Has anyone tried that 78-97 profile? I wonder if that .97 is going to be too fat.
I had a 2009 52' AVRI Tele before, and it's neck made me go crazy for some songs even though I've got really big hands, I wonder if it'll end up like that at 12th fret area.
I was thinking that taper sounded pretty extreme, but I was looking at the Wildwood Masterbuilts the other day, (https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-category/electrics/fender-custom-shop/masterbuilt/) and they have a few that go from .79 - .94 which is almost as big as what you're talking about, so it shouldn't be that unheard of. Maybe you could give them a call and ask them what it feels like, talk to them about what you like, what size hands you have, etc. But in the end, I agree with @FiestaRed869 you'll never know for sure until you try it.

LJOHNS

I recent put a Strat together. I used a MIM Robert Cray neck. It measures .83 at the first and .96 at the 12th. I notice the tapper but find it nearly perfect for me. It is so posed to be an early 60’s profile.

Trending Topics