• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Must have mics

SigXer

Hi there,

This is my first post on the recording section of TGP because I just purchased an 8-track digital multi-tracker for recording some guitar parts at home and was wondering what microphones are the must haves for guitar recording. I've already got an sm57 type (sennheiser e609) dynamic mic. I'm not looking to spend a ton, so probably $300 at most for any one mic. Thanks for your suggestions.

fuzzyguitars

Silver Supporting Member
md 421
sm7b

these are some of the studio standards in the 300 range

of course the venerable sm57!

Somniferous

AKG 414 (Great room mic)
Shure SM81 (might want a pair for drum overs)
Shure SM57
AKG D112 (great kick drum and bass mic)
Sennheiser 421

All I could think of off the top of my head.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Um, if you're talking $300 total, you're up against it! The SM57 can do duty for the guitars and bass cabs in a pinch, but you need a vocal mic (preferrably large diaphragm condensor) and a pair of small diaphragm condensors for acoustic guitar, and drums if you're using real drums, and maybe a large diaphragm dynamic for the bass drum. No way you can do it all for $300 I don't think. However, suggestions: MXL studio pack for one LDC and one SDC, add a second SDC and you're under $200. Maybe find a used AKG D112 or large diaphragm Audix for the bass. Maybe $350?

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
SM-7B or Heil PR-30. I've got both and they're both fantastic on guitars but can do so much more. I've currently got the SM-7B on a 28" Kick drum and the Heil on snare. I went through a bunch of mics to get to these on those sources. In the end, these were the best two for the job. When I get around to keeper guitar tracks, you can bet that these will be all over the record.

wahwah

Another vote for the Heil PR-30. Simply excellent on guitar cabs and very good value.

Cheers............................... wahwah

Below $300

SM57
Sennheiser MD421
Shure Beta 52
AKG D112
Audix i5
Studio Projects B1
Oktava MK012's
Cascade Fathead
Shure SM7B

$300-$1500
AKG 414
Royer R121
Oktavamod MK012's
Peluso 2247

$1500+
Coles 4038
Neumann U47 FET (Eddie Kramer swears by the FET for Drums, he used 3 as overheads)
Neumann U87

Probably more. If I could only work out of the $300 or less category but could keep my other gear, I could get good results.

YMMV,
Tim

Trending Topics