Must-have rack-units -- what do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dkh, Sep 24, 2006.

1. dkh

dkh Member

Allright, I have enough space on my rack for a few more units, I know I want more, but right-now I am just not exactly sure what I'd need. I already have a TC Electronic G-Major effects processor with very nice reverb, delay, chorus, flanger and pitch-shifting capabilities.

I really don't know what I could or should add to the G-Major, but I know lots of you guys own a G-Major as well - so, with what do you combine this unit? What else would I need?

Strange question, I know, but I'm really just looking for some ideas on new equipment. Thanks in advance!

2. John01W

John01W Member

It's kinda wierd, this place seems to be more pedal only, that's what seems like is what is "in vogue" in this forum. I've often wondered about this...is it not "cool" to you guys to talk rack? IMO rack+pedals is where it's at.

My preference is Lexicon/Eventide. Maybe you could go with a different flavor...an Eclipse is probably the best sounding 1 space processor to ever grace the planet or upgrade to the g-force.....really adding a couple of pedals may enhance your setup.....maybe an analog chorus/phase/flange.(the later 2 are better in pedals IMO, with the chorus being just a different flavor, you can get some awesome chorus in a rack or pedal)

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

PV Valverb, Demeter reverb for spring verb
    ADA TFX4 (if you can find one), Ibanez UE-400 for analog fx
    Digitech RPM-1 or Rolls RP147 for vibe
    Mangler
    Randall RM4 if you need a preamp

4. da-boogieman

da-boogieman Member

5. LReese

LReese Member

My dream is to find a single unit that is easy to program and provides 3 effects (chorus/delay/reverb) at the same time. Using a MPX-550 right now. Hard to program and only does 2 effects at the same time.

6. racktifier

racktifier Member

To be fair i think it's a trend not unique to TGP. But it's understandable imo. Most of us (me included) are not professionals and can't afford/don't need to acquire a huge rig when a pedal board will suffice. Portability is another big issue. I know a seasoned sessionist who sold his racks because it was such a hassle transporting his entire rig. On a side note, I recall hearing a story about Zakk Wylde switcing to floor effects after
    his rig died midway through a performance with Ozzy. Apparently Ozzy was so furious he stomped off the stage because the technicians couldn't figure out what went wrong with the rig.

Agreed. I like the sounds i can get from a mixture of racks and pedals. For racks, it's mainly for reverb and delays (tc electronics and lexicon) although i also use tube preamps(jmp-1 and ada mp-1). Everything else is in pedal form.

I must admit that I don't see much point in paying extra for certain rack units e.g. tuner, wah.

7. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Ancient by today's standards but my Rocktron Intellifex has always sounded fantastic, easy to program and now you can get them really cheap.

8. James

James Member

Depending on the tone you're looking for, I'd strongly recommend either:

Funk Logic DD301 Digilog Dynamicator
    Funk Logic AP302 Algorythmic Prosecutor

These are extremely transparent units. :)

James

9. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Well the G.MAJOR Covers allot of territory so add something to that you need to be specific as to what you are looking for. The other route is to get specialty pieces that really excel at a certain thing(s).

In regards to this forum, yes not allot of rack stuff listed hear, but I think those who are familar will respond. Personally I have a few rack pieces and dig them. Many got away from the refrigerator size racks because of the cost and the pain in lugging those things around, hence the birth of the girlie rack, which based on around a super flexible effects unit, once can get a wide spectrum of tones in a small easy to carry package.

TheGrooveking

10. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

I think the thing to consider is what you are missing with the G Major, and add that. Don't just buy something to fill the space. All you are doing in that instance is adding weight to lug around to gigs.

If you like the G Major, you could consider building a rig around it. This would involve adding a loop switching device like a GCX and a pedal drawer to rack your favorite analog pedals. Along with a decent floorboard, you will get complete control, without tap dancing.

I started out with a Rocktron unit, and built my rig up from there, just like that. Now that I have the basics working, I have started to upgrade...first by adding a Lexicon MPX-G2 processor. The rocktron will end up doing effects duty in front of the preamp, and the Lex will do a bit of both. The reason I upgraded was because I wanted better delay and reverb, and have some effects serial, and some parallel. Currently the rocktron is running parallel, but it will become my serial unit, and the Lex will do parallel duty (hope this works).

Next, I will eventually upgrade the floorboard. Pedals can come and go as I get the urge to try different things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally, rack tuners suck. Keep the tuner on the floor near you for ease of use. My tuner runs out of a loop from the GCX and I can keep it out of the signal path and silent tune.

[​IMG]

11. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

I vote this to be the understatement of the year.:rotflmao

12. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Yep - a combo of floor pedals & a rack piece or 2 works best for me too. I run a few killer rack pieces for delays & reverb (TC D-Two, Roland SRV-2000, Roland SDE-2500) and it makes life easier. Control the rack stuff (in amp's FX loop) with a MIDI controller, and run the stompers into the front end. This way my delay times for songs are always SPOT-ON & the drummer locks on tight to it. I love analog gear, but for the playing I do (live concerts w/different delay settings in every song, complex tones, etc.) the rack/pedals combo is the only way to go. All the pieces I have sound incredibly NON-Digital and very analogue-ish (I had a TTE to compare it to - which rules, but too much of a hassle to change settings manually EVERY song). Good Luck!

13. drolling

drolling Member

Word!

Multieffectors have come a long, long way since the days of the 'fridge-sized racks, but like many here, I'm getting most of my FX from floor pedals..

BUT, there are a few *specialty* items I became quite attached to that are only available in rack format - these all fit into a small roadcase that's both rugged & easy to transport.

It's an eclectic mix of digital & analogue gear; a couple of loopers (Lexicon JamMan & Electrix Repeater) that I warm up w/a tube-driven tremolo/reverb box (Peavey Valveverb), but the dark horse's a triple channel rotary speaker emulator (DigiTech RPM-1). Of course, there are similar effects available in pedal form, but these units do quirky little tricks that I can't quite get from anything else..

If you really wanna talk racks, tho' - I'd check that link posted above by da-boogieman.. be prepared to be overwhelmed:crazyguy

14. KRosser

KRosser Member

I have an Echoplex Digital Pro, which I use fairly often. I have an old Boss GX-700 which I don't use so often, but I'm sure I couldn't sell it for very much, and I do like a few things about it for recording and processing loops, so it stays.

At times before I owned one of those Ibanez HD harmonizer/delay things, a Lexicon Vortex and a Rocktron Replifex and used them quite a lot.

I'm eyeing the Eventide Eclipse these days, wondering when/if I might take the plunge on that one...

15. BrianB

BrianB Member

Very clean! Mind if I ask where you got that pedalboard? It seems like it's kind of hard to find someone that'll do a formica top on just a normal aluminum edged board.

16. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

I have seen them around for sale, but I ended up building it myself in the shop. Took about an hour. I have a padded keyboard bag that it fits perfectly. With the bag included it cost $65.

17. BrianB

BrianB Member

Ah, nice job then. Wish I had room in my apartment for that kinda stuff :jo

18. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

In my opinion you can't beat a Roland SDE1000 or SDE3000 for a dedicate delay. It does 4 presets and can do modulation.

Scott:JAM

19. jspax7

jspax7 Member

The TC G sharp is a simpler version of the G Major. The interface works more like several stomp boxes. You might want to look into that.

20. dkh

dkh Member

That's a lot of valuable information, so thanks for that!

I don't need a pre-amp/power-amp, as I play my rack through the FX loop of an ENGL Powerball half-stack.

Of course, it makes no sense to just "fill in the space" on my rack, and the "problem" is, that I'm just pretty much satisfied with all the G-Major does so far. However, I'll look into getting a good wah-wah or something.

Thanks again.