Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by skylabfilmpop, Feb 2, 2008.

1. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Silver Supporting Member

I am looking for some short scale action. What am I lookinng as spending for a mid 70's Fender Mustang Bass. Whats the difference between these and the musicmaster Basses? Thanks!

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I've been thinking about picking up one of the new cheap Asian Fender Mustangs...

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

There are lots of great short scale candidates. Mustangs would be about the last on my list - wondering why folks are drawn to them?

By way of comparison, my guitar tech turned me on to his vintage short scale Jazz-style Hofner. Amazing bass - and light as a feather (about 6 lbs., I'd guess).

Guess I never really got the Mustang appeal, but it's been many years since I checked one out.

4. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Silver Supporting Member

I won't knock a hofner. Even the late 60's Japanese Hofner (seem like teisco or somthing) are nice sounding despite their firewood experience. Mustand and Musicmaster Basses are kind of a benchmark tone. That is if your benchmark is in the Punk Indie arena and a pretty useful sound to have in your arsenal.

5. Mr Benn

Mr Benn Member

from memory
    Can
    talking heads
    AIR
    mike watt
    have all used the mustang bass to great effect :RoCkIn

6. m.z.

m.z. "Musician" /Gear Hoarder

I have a mustang bass....newer one. love it.

7. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Good for them. I'm looking for more personal responses and impressions.

8. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

I used to own a Mustang bass. I got it around 1979...probably was early 70s. Tone was kind of tubby. Quite frankly short scale basses aren't that great. If you really feel that you have to play a short scale bass, I'd suggest trying to find at least a 32" scale. Though they are less common today at one time there were a fair amount of MIJ 32" scale imports. Otherwise, get a decent P bass or Jazz, even MIM or MIJ Squier or MIJ copy -you'll get used to the longer scale pretty quick and the tones are far superior to a 30" scale or Mustang bass.

Just my opinion.

9. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

The first real (well, kinda real) bass I ever played was a Mustang that was owned by my school district growing up. The short scale helped me get around as a kid, but I don't recall it having any sort of unique tone that would make me seek one out anymore. It just sounded like a bass, an okay bass.

10. 8Painting

8Painting Member

My friend left his at my house while hes in Japan for the year. At first I loved it from the body style color combo, but after plugging it in and playing it, it just felt incredibly awkward. the body is too small to get any leverage to pluck, its almost mandatory for me at least to only be able to use a pick to be fluent in any way. Not to mention the pickups werent anything that I would write a book about.

Long story short, like someone had previously said, get a bigger scale, or a nice J or P.

11. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Around 10 years ago I had a 1969 Mustang in Lake Placid Blue- with the nifty competition stripe. At that time I was using my Jazz primarily and the T-Bird as second string. I liked the Mustang for the feel and playability- I remember that it sounded fine, but it was nothing as "big" as either the Jazz or the T-Bird. As a result, I had that bass for about a week. A year or so later I got the G&L. It really came down to the tone and overall "depth" of sound- and the back to back comparison with my other full scale instruments just reinforced how different they are.

In other words, back then I was not specifically after a short scale tone. Now that I am, I know that I'll never be able to find a 69 LPB Mustang bass for $400 again. I think the big difference in going into looking at something like a Mustang is knowing what you're getting. It's not "just like" a P, but smaller- it's a different kind of instrument that has different characteristics about it (in looks, playability and tone).

12. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

mustang bass prices have jumped recently, the 60s are going for $1,500+ and the early 70s are way up too... often over $1k.

the new MIJ Mustang basses are excellent based on what I've seen & heard, should be able to get one for $500-550 new... imo medium/short scale basses like the mustang can be good, punchy, record well, will not give you the deep bass of a 34" scale obviously, but they're not to be written off, it's all personal taste.

14. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

I had one from the 70's and it was very playable for someone used to playing Teles and such. But the body was too small for someone of my size, I was always hunched over it. So either play it standing up with a strap, or shrink myself? I had to sell it.

15. m.z.

anyone know where I can get a good case for my mustang? having trouble finding a 3/4 scale case that will work.....I've heard the one fender makes is substandard...and expensive...

16. m.z.

17. m.z.

no one? but.......but........ she's stuffed inside one of those old triangular gibson gig bags......her headstock is poking out the top....exposed to the elements and such! please help me..... help me to help her...... it's the right thing to do....

:munch

18. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I'd love to help you- but I don't know dimensions or what would work.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't mind the SKB molded cases. I've got one for my G&L that has had the feet poked through the plastic, but it protects the bass. If the Fender case is the SKB molded case- I'd say hell yeah. I've heard of instruments getting run over by cars in the driveway (2 personal accounts of it from people I know) that instruments were undamaged after being run over. When I've flown my G&L I watched the baggage handlers throw my bass into the cargo compartment- when I got it out, it was still in tune.

FWIW.

19. Knobby

Knobby Member

Love that thing!! If you ever want to part with it - look no further!