Mustang bridge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Winterlong, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Winterlong

Winterlong Member

Hi. I have a custom-built Tele-style guitar outfitted with a Bigsby and a Mustang bridge. The guitar plays relatively well with a nice low action and no buzzing. However, I've noticed that, up the neck, beyond the fifth fret, the notes sound dull and flat with little sustain, particularly on the first three strings (High E to G).
    If I'm playing Steve Cropper-ish chord strikes, I don't really achieve that crisp attack, if that makes any sense.
    I'm wondering whether the Mustang bridge, which has a 7.5 radius is a mismatch for the neck, which has a 10-inch fretboard radius.
    Could this be the problem?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. eric_telemaque

eric_telemaque Member

In a similar situation, I went for a Mastery Bridge. Can't go wrong with that. Fully adjustable, great sustain all over the neck.

3. Winterlong

Winterlong Member

Thanks for the input, Eric. I've heard those work well.

4. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

5. zacmac

zacmac Supporting Member

second the Mastery. it fits securely into the thimbles and does not rock floating on the pivot screws like the Jag/JM or Mustang bridges. its a lot of money i know but the single most important tone improvement you can make.

It's funny to me that people turn their nose up to spending $165 on the Mastery but will swap pickups all day long when the Mastery is the more DRASTIC tone improvement.

Who doesn't want perfect intonation, more sustain, clarity and warmth?

6. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

Along with Mastery and Warmoth bridges, Staytrem makes a more traditional 9.5" radius bridge that seems really nice. That said, while it's tough to tell what's causing the problem OP describes - frets, setup, any number of things - I'll betcha a buck the radius has absolutely nothing to do with it.