Mustang III and Line 6 M9 Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by fuzzface71, Jun 29, 2019.

1. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

Only the last 2 years that I finally got a Fender Mustang III when I briefly joined a Pop/ Top 40 band. I've sold most of my pedals around 2015 for a Line 6 M9. Had a Yamaha THR for home practicing and jamming since it came out, but for two years now I've been exclusively using the Mustang/M9 and a couple of analog dirt pedals for overdrive. Even sold the THR.

I've learned how to tweak the Mustang to my liking even changed the speaker to a Jensen Neo. My question now is...Do I really need to upgrade into a Helix or Kemper? I love the plethora of amps and effects that I can use with just a touch of a button. I'm mostly playing at home now and most of the time with headphones. I rarely jam out and play with the band at the moment, but I'm sure one day it will happen again. Am I missing a lot for not getting a Helix or Kemper if I already have the Mustang and M9?

To add I've been a gear hound and have played the real deal effects and amps all these years. At the moment the only one I have is my original '65 Deluxe Reverb. Sold last year my '76 Vibrolux and Boogie Mark 1.

2. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

You might gain some switching capabilities from the Helix and it will probably sound somewhat better bc of the better amp sims. But if you know your rig and you’re happy with it, why switch?

mleffler likes this.
  3. Elric

Elric Member

You have to get a Helix or Kemper. It is actually a rule to be a member of this forum.

4. Rufus

Rufus Member

I have both a Mustang III and a Kemper. The Kemper does generally sound better and has a lot more sonic possibilities than the Mustang. But, the Mustang still sounds good, too. Is it worth the huge cost increase to upgrade? Depends on your budget and what you want.

Jabberwocky and Elric like this.
  5. fuzzface71

G.A.S. :)

arislaf likes this.
  6. fuzzface71

Do you use a power cab or something with the Kemper or just studio monitors?

7. fuzzface71

I guess you're right. My questions are being ignored. :D

arislaf likes this.
  8. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

@fuzzface71, to vastly expand your range of Amp, Cab, and FX tones, a Helix Stomp connected to your Mustang III's Line In would be a great way to go! If you are not satisfied, return it to your dealer within their satisfaction assurance period. Before recently getting an HX Stomp (I've had a Helix Floor a few years), I only had two Mustang v.2's. I still have both the MIV and MIII. They sound great with the Helix gear, although I more frequently use my FRFR Monitors, Studio Monitors, etc. w/ the Helix gear. Another option would be to give the Free Trial of Helix Native a try with your computer to see if you like Helix's Amps, Cabs, Mics, FX. Line 6's ecosystem is outstanding!

Jabberwocky and fuzzface71 like this.
  9. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

I have M3v2 that I gig occasionally. I use the Mooer Radar with the line out, or I mic it because the direct our signal has no cab sounds. I go ampless sometimes with an 11R and the Radar in the effects loop. The 11R sounds better for ampless/super low volume. Most of the time, I use a tweed Pro clone for gigs. To be honest, they all get great tones and I use pedals with each of them. If you're smart, you can get great sounds out of lots of things.

fuzzface71 likes this.
  10. Rufus

Rufus Member

I actually run it through the Mustang with the cab sims off and also run a line with all the sims on to an FRFR type amp.

MusicLaw and fuzzface71 like this.
  11. fuzzface71

Cool. Thanks for the tip!

MusicLaw likes this.
  12. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

Happy to help!

Also, as @Rufus mentioned try running your Mustang with the Cab Sims Off, using the Studio PreAmp Preset in the Mustang's profiles. This presumes you have a v.2 Mustang. Also, you can use the Mustang's setup menu to change where the Mustang's Line In is inserted in the Mustang's Signal Chain. There are two articles with PDFs in Fender's knowledgebase about how and where the FX Loop is treated in the Signal Chain depending on how you set the Main Menu parameter. If you can't find them browsing Fender's site, post back and I'll dig out the links, or post the PDFs. I know I have them on an archive computer.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  13. fuzzface71

Thank you for your input. :)

MusicLaw likes this.
  14. Mincer

Mincer Member

The M9 is still pretty solid. It behaves a lot more like a pedalboard than the preset-based Helix or HX Effects.

15. rer122504

rer122504 Supporting Member

I used to use the m9 with the Hughes and kettner switchblade setup to change the switchblade via midi
    Only had 6 presets but that was cool