• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mustang or Tele for punk music?

which is the better guitar for punk rock?

• Fender Mustang-- lo-fi, short scale, small body

• Fender tele-- the ultimate in simplicity, a battle ax

Results are only viewable after voting.

spookyelectric

Silver Supporting Member
I know it goes against the punk credo to even ask the question (as the answer would be-- what's available or what can you steal from someone else?), but I'll ask it anyway.

Which guitar do you think would be better for playing punk music?

I already have all the makings for a tele except for a neck, but the neck I'm looking at is 1 3/4" wide nut width, thin contour, 12" fretboard radius. The Mustang stuff I'm looking at is the good ol' vintage 7.25" radius. I can see advantages to both-- vintage radius being comfy for barre chords, but depending on how one plays, a flatter radius could be just as comfy for this.

That not withstanding-- there's the shorter scale of the Mustang which may be a boon or a detriment. Sometimes fast hard playing of barre chords is easier with a little more resistance from the strings, and the Mustang would be way looser/squishier feeling in that regard.

Let's vote on it! But feel free to reply here stating why you think one might be better than the other for punk.

thanks!

scelerat

Silver Supporting Member
I think you answered your own question in the first line. ;-)

My answer: yes.

NoBrakes

I played both back in the day.... I also played a Gretsch BST-5000, an Aria Pro something or other, Gibson Victory MVII, LP... my all time favorite and thing I played the most gigs with...Fender Bronco with a Hot Rail in the bridge, I'd love to have that one back.... some of these guitars are bringing respectable money now... the most expensive one was the LP... The Mustang, Bronco and Gretsch were all less that $150 each.. I think that sums up the the first sentence of the OP.

spookyelectric

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I normally heavily lean towards the tele for most stuff, being an avid tele lover for years.

I thought the Mustang might be more punk, but given that I have 80% of the parts I need already for another tele build, that seems the easier route to go. Plus it's cheaper with just needing to buy a neck. And the tele body I have has been through hell already, but it's been decommissioned for a while.

But the Mustang looks so cool!

jondom22

Silver Supporting Member
I play in a punk/noise/alt type of band and play a jagstang which has the same neck radius and scale length, and bridge as a mustang and I really hate the neck. I think the 7.25" radius and the slimmer necks actually make your hands hurt more when playing power chords (at least compared to my es 335 which is a 12" radius). Plus from what I was told, the 25.5" scale length (aka Strat neck) produce more nuanced harmonics that really play well with fuzz.

Anyways, I actually just bought a reverend jetstream 390 (25.5" scale length, 12" radius, TOM bridge, p90's, jazzmaster style body made of Korina) which will arrive on wednesday and unless if for some reason i don't like it, I will be getting rid of my jagstang.

Highly recommend a larger radius neck/scale length and a TOM or hardtail bridge for punk because of the nature to play really heavy with your fingers and pick (making guitars go out of tune easier). Between your tele and a mustang, go tele, see if you can put on a different bridge/trem system, and see if you can load it with some P90's, some wide hb's or some mini humbuckers)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom