Muy Grande vs. Fralin pickups (Tele SC)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Soulgolem, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Has anyone ever tried both Muy Grande bridge pickup and Lindy Fralin overwound bridge pup ? (Telecaster single coils).

How do they compare in terms of output, twang, tone ?

Thanks,
    Francis.

2. justicetones

justicetones Member

One of my Teles has a Muy Grande bridge P/U and the other has a Fralin Blues tele bridge P/U. The Muy Grande is hotter in output a very full sound not as much traditional tele twang but still some. The Fralin Blues 5% overwind is warmer than stock but still twangy and teleish. I love both but for different things. The Muy Grande is awesome for rock and blues as is the Fralin but just more traditional tele sound. It is totally a preference thing. If I had only one tele I would probably have the Fralin because I would have other guitars to do the punchier full sounds.

I hope this helps?????

3. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Is the output difference any big ? I know he makes a 15% overwind, and I was wondering if it was higher output than the muy grande and if it was twangy enough for me.

Francis.

4. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

5. justicetones

justicetones Member

I think that a 15% overwind is probably close to the Muy Grande in output. Maybe ever a little hotter? As you overwind the output is increased the highs are softened or diminished and the midrange becomes more present. If you want the twang I personally would not go past a Fralin 5% blues.

This is the pickup I have in my twang tele.

6. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

I have used both the fralins and the muy grandes in my tele's .and I think the same as justicetones about the fact that you can get that beefy tone out of other guitars but if your looking for the sparkling tele tone I'd go with the fralin's but no more than 5% overwound. I've got 2% overwounds in one of my tele's and that is perfect for my tastes.I use a steelpole #43 in another tele and it gives up the beef fairly well without getting to muddy.Good luck w/ your choice!
    Rob