MV that works best right BEFORE PI??

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by s2khawk, Mar 23, 2008.

1. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

Hi Guys looking for the best Master setup right before the phase inverter. Something that can go below noon and still sound good (most don't below noon). Guess I could run a 150K/.001 across the wipers, kinda like a treble setup in a guitar, but any other ideas that work? Also pot values for the MV would be appreciated as well, thanks in advance!

2. VikingAmps

VikingAmps Member

The best trick for those is to lower your preamp plate voltage. Still not as good as a PPIMV done right tho.

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I believe I used a 500kΩ in my last design and it works perfectly fine. Didn't find the need to bypass with a capacitor. It would help a little more if you told us of the amp/circuit you are using.

4. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

Donny, its a hybrid design on a prototype I'm working on. Think matchless/ superlead, cant use a post PI because the other channel is totally different sounding and doesn't use a master, hence the need for a master that works well at low volumes and is real full (kind of like the SLO). Keep the ideas coming it helps and I appreciate it!

5. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

I used the simple 500 or 1M pot, as seen on the Hoffman site in my Tweed Twin clone. It's always worked great, no reason to change it.