MXL and CAD Mics

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ozzynotwood, Mar 14, 2015.

1. ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood Member

Hi everyone.

I'm looking around for dynamic studio mics for high-gain gutiar amps. MXL and CAD mics keep coming up in my eBay searches and I don't know much about either brand, I rarely hear about them in forum discussion and there are not many youtube clips available. Are these brands in the same league as Heil and Sennheiser? Any experiences with these 2 brands?

2. bob-i

bob-i Member

These are ok low end brands. I have some of both brands and they do an ok job for some applications.

I use an MXL large diaphragm condenser for vocal recording. It's ok for the type of home recording I do but its a bit lacking in mids. I have 2 small diaphragm CAD condenser mic's that I use live for sax and/or cymbals. Again, ok but nothing special. They break up early with a nasty high end distortion so you need to keep them a a reasonable distance. I like the way they accent the highs on sax but I need to be careful not to get in too close and overdrive them.

3. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

Never been impressed by anything I've heard from either of those brands. Save your pennies and just buy industry standard stuff. You can find numerous threads on favorite guitar cab mics. I've never seen CAD or MXL on those lists.

4. sants

sants Supporting Member

Believe it or not CADS 7 piece drum mic set is pretty awesome for what it is.

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

MXL V67G is a good mic for those inexperienced/new recording guys. Great place to start (fairly flat and has several applications). I used mine a couple years before JJ Audio finally did a mod to it. It now has a cardioid U87 flavor. I like it now/liked it then, and bought it cheap as a used piece.

6. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Member

I bought the MXL CR24 pack a couple of years ago and they sound very good for the money. It's probably the least hyped LDC mic they sell. Same capsule as the MXL 2003a which gets much more hype on the recording forums. You can listen to it on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHFJ045jlQU

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  7. loudboy

loudboy Member

I've had good luck w/the MXL V67G.

I know that the CAD M179 gets good reviews also.

8. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

I'm boring and love the sound of a SM57 on a guitar cabinet.

9. The Funk

The Funk Member

The M179 is a fantastic mic. Not a great primary vocal mic (not clear enough, I've found), but its generally very flat, and has an incredible versatility due to continuously variable polar patters.

Its a favorite on toms for a lot of people. One of the few condensers that people use on toms. Its my mic for "I don't want anything specific out of this, so here's a mic". Never sounds bad.

The MXL's can be a tricky thing. There are some that look like large diaphragm condensers but aren't. I've heard decent things about the V67.

A lot of the MXL mics are based on a shoeps circuit, but with a copy of a Neumann 67 style diaphragm which is the root of the issues people have with them. The electronics are relatively transparent, but the capsule is very bright because the U67 has a bright capsule with an electronic circuit that de-emphasizes hi end. Therefore the U67 mice sound great, and the MXL mics sound WAY too bright.

Theres a guy named Michael Joly who has a business called Oktavamod who modifies the MXL mics into something very nice. I've had him work on my oktava mics and he does a great job.

10. The Funk

The Funk Member

oh for guitar amps, condensers usually aren't the thing. The only ones I like on guitar amps are Groove tubes GT33's.

Usually you want a dynamic, or a ribbon. The SM57 is a great start. People also like sennheiser MD421's, and Shure SM7's. Cascade Fathead ribbons work great too.

There is no different mic for "high end" amps. There is no difference functionally between a high end amp and any other amp from a recording standpoint no matter what people at the amp forum think. Its a guitar amp. Mic it like one.

11. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

I bought the mxl3000 pack a few years ago. I've used it on all my old bands demos for vocals and it really shined. It was a bit cheaper when I bought it but still worth what theyre asking nowadays.

12. Dubious

Dubious Member

MXL v67 G - this is a SLEEPER - excellent mic - as mentioned!!

i think i paid $50 for mine on ebay about 10 years ago.. it's pretty much my go to for vocals / drum overheads.

-----

oh wait you want a dynamic for guitar?? get a 57

if you have a 57 and it sounds bad...get a new mic pre

13. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I also have a couple CAD M179s. Have had them for over 10 years and they are solid and have great results.

MXL, I've seen serious good reviews from picky people, but I can't recall the models. I've seen other negative reviews. The only ones I've used were in other people's set ups, nothing was bad, but I can't judge them because only ever used them in one room, one recording.

But a 57 is excellent for many guitar amps.

Another cheap one I love for cabs is an Audix i5. Can take really loud sounds. Compared to a 57 a little better highs, so I'll grab it if I think the amp is a little dull.

If you are interested in Ribbon mics, Golden Age is making very good affordable ribbon mics now.

14. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

+1 for Michael Joly mods. I've used his modded Oktava 219 for female vocals for years. I have another 219 from another modder, but the Oktavamod is clearly better.

The MXL 603 is a pretty good small condenser if you can find them cheap. But since getting a pair of Oktava MC012s, I haven't used the MXL since. This is really the core truth of MXL mics - they're pretty good, but the moment you get something better, you'll stop using them.

15. Dubious

Dubious Member

I've got an Oktava 219 too .. the MXLV67g is arguably the better mic believe it or not.

Oktava has alot of character though

16. Madsen

Madsen Member

i've had some crap MXL mic's. 2003, 603s, 991 were very hissy & grainy sounding. I considered getting them modded but dumped the lot of them a while back. I hear MXL's V series mics are good.

i have 2 CAD E100 mic's & they sound great. the M179 is on the wish list if i ever get around the buying mics again. i've heard mixed reviews on their cheapest mics.

I'd look at Audio Technica mics in that price range. very clean sounding, good bang for the buck.

17. microphonefolk

microphonefolk Member

Hello, with the MXL V67 you are finally getting into a microphone with a class "A" transformer coupled circuit while all the other MXL microphones you mention have transformerless output circuits. The class "A" transformer coupled circuit is much more friendly to fast transient audio sources like percussion and acoustic piano. All our microphones are class "A" transformer coupled. Our entry level LDC professional microphone the CM47fet is $295.

Our CM414 which gets honorable mention in the new Mix magazine is $379. We have found there are too many compromises to the circuit and build quality to design LDC microphones that sell for a cheaper price.

The combination of the class "A" circuitry and the transformer create more even order harmonic distortion than class A/B transformerless circuits which create more odd order harmonic distortion. The even order harmonic distortion is much more pleasing to the ear.

The CAD E100 is also super-cardiod which is a good choice with a room that share other chores besides being a recording environment. However, you have a much greater proximity effect with a super-cardiod for some recording situations.

Even in our CM47fet we offer a cardiod/omni option and Card, OMNI and FIG 8 with our CM48, CM87 and CM414 fet microphones. If you have a nice sounding room with a minimum of room noise then OMNI wins on acoustic guitar every time. Fig 8 is useful if you want to record acoustic and vocals at the same time.

In all our tube LDC microphones we offer 9 patterns switched from the power supply.

Cheers, Dave Thomas
    www.aamicrophones.com

18. elijah

elijah Member

For electric guitar, the 219 works better for me, but I usually prefer a dynamic(Audix I5) or ribbon($royer$).The Oktava has a kind of raw raunchy sound that makes an electric guitar jump forward in the mix.
    For just about everything else except snare drum, the V67g is better.
    IMHO

19. marshall2288

marshall2288 Member

V67 is great as mentioned. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the V63m and use it on vocals, acoustic guitars and guitar cabs. It's great. I also like the V250 (currently $49.00 at MF). Though it's kinda bright. I've heard good stuff about the CAD drum mics though I've never

20. jmoose

jmoose Member

Yup they all pretty much suck.

MXL, CAD & most of that bottom end junk comes out of the same factory in China, 797 audio. Basically same mics with different badges.

I owned at least a half dozen MXL mics at one point including the v67g... that's the gold & green AKG C12VR lookalike right? Some pencils, 3 of the 2001 "u87 clones" and so on. None of 'em pulled any sort of weight against the rest of my cabinet which is pretty hifi & I owned a small chunk of it before MXL & the like even existed.

Even as "budget" mics they either didn't prove to be useful, never won a shootout or just outright broke. Cheap ass krap. One of the 2001's turned into a baby rattle after a few months of light use chucked it right into recycling. Rest were noisy, gritty prone to overloading & clipping... one diaphragm got melted on a guitar amp, another tossed.

Rest of 'em were given away & donated to people that didn't really have anything better, maybe just a pair of 57's or I remember leaving a couple a club I worked at that often ran out of mics on bigger shows, spare overheads or percussion

IMO if your even halfway serious about audio its worth saving the nickels & dimes to get into better mics for not too much more then the cheap stuff. Especially used stuff, get a 4033 for $250 all day long and it just flat works.

Everything starts & ends with the mics. It's only ever gonna be that good.

On a hipper note I've always really dug the old American made CAD E200 & E300 mics. They sound KILLER & weren't exactly cheap way back then. At one point they were a pretty huge actual "Pro" audio company... they made the Maxcon large format consoles and the ever popular Megamix VCA automation package... had one installed on my old Trident...

That CAD audio is long dead but most of what they made back then was really solid.

Mics... stay with the major brands Sennheiser, Blue, Audio Technica etc and your gonna be pretty safe.

Really great sleeper mic, AT pro37 is a $100 odd dollar pencil & sounds as good as anything 10 times its cost. I should really buy a handful one of these days!

strangec likes this.