MXR 108 Classic Fuzz??? Me like!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Steven, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Steven

Steven Member

Well I bought one just for the fun of it. I have owned almost every boutique fuzz there is and never found one that I´ve completely bonded with. Despite the fact that the Classic fuzz only costs around 110 USD I must say that its one of the best pedal purchases I´ve made in a long time. Its got gobs of silicone fuzz tones, its quiet, it reacts well to the volume knob on the guitar, its sounds great pushed by a TS9 and it has a "buffer" circuit that makes it usable even on the neck pick up (and solves the problems with having a wha in front of it). In short: a very good silicone fuzz with lots of BOG tones inside.

Im using mostly single coil pickups (Tyler BW2K, old 1965 strat an a couple of home made telecasters) into a large pedalboard and a Badcat Temcat amp set fairly clean.

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Absolutely...I've been toting this since I got mine a few weeks ago after reading a review in GP that mentioned things I liked (the buffer! AND that it is switchable! Ah...choices, I like choices!)

Have also been absolutely floored by it. Playing with it a lot, and
    just to note, I believe this is the same exact circuit as the Hendrix Fuzz Face one is it not? Except rehoused and with the added buffer possibility.

It has a great sound, and one thing I love is when a fuzz can be used in other than "full on" position. I find a lot of different ways to use this.

3. b_rad

b_rad Member

Yep. It's a really great fuzz. I like it. :)

4. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Has anyone owned both the MXR and the actual Dunlop FF? I just ordered a FF but forgot about the MXR. I don't want to screw around with all the extras like a buffer, 9v, etc., etc. if it affects tone.

I should have ordered one of each, I meant to. Also the MXR isn't hand wired is it? Isn't it PCB, anyone got pics of the inside of the MXR? We've seen the Dunlop JHFF.

5. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Member

1+1

6. jamison162

No argument here...everything affects sound. I'll stick with the real FF.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Suproman77 answered pretty much all of this, but just thought to mention, the buffer is simply a on off pushbotton switch (that lights up when it is on) that you can keep off and it is out of the circuit. Gives you the choice of buffer. Likewise you can use battery, no law saying you have to use the power input, and I don't think either of these things affects the sound.

It's a great fuzz..that can be used with weak batteries and no buffer (still, has a battery hatch..they only improved the things that needed it).

8. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I bought his big rounded brother, the JH-F1 and i thought i was going to flip it after few days, man how wrong i was.

Dunlop has a winner here, it sounds great , recacts great to volume changes and it ended the search for another (much more expesive) fuzz for me.

I love what it does, how it does it and all the tonal capabilities with only 2 knobs.
    Maybe if it was (insert any new boutique name here) people would be raving about how great it was and how this was the greatest discovery known to mankind.

9. The P-Man

The P-Man Member

I´m liking mine quite a lot! Has anyone played around with the three internal trim pots?

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Not me. I like how it sounds too much to muck with them. What do they control do you know?

11. The P-Man

The P-Man Member

not entirely sure - i emailed dunlop to ask about the pedal and how close it was to the JHF1. They said not to mess with the trim pots, by which stage I already had!! One definately made the pedal grittier and darker - I believe they are what the factory use to ´tune´the BC108s

12. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Anyone compared the MXR to the Lovepedal 200 lbs. Trying to decide between the two, seems like the 200 lbs has more gain.

13. jamison162

From my experiece with the 200 and the clips I've heard of the JHFF, I wouldn't bother with the 200. My JHFF should be here Friday.

14. Steven

Steven Member

I had the 200lbs and sold it since I wasnt completely satisfied with it. I wouldn say that the 200lbs has more gain - the MXR has gobs of gain if you max out the fuzz control. The biggest differense is IMO that the MXR reacts much much better to volume knob changes/the dynamics of your playing and the MXR sound like a fuzz face while the 200lbs sounds more like an refined version of a fuzz mixed with some overdrive. The 200lbs was not bad IMO - I just like the MXR much more despite the fact that it is not a "boutique" fuzz.

15. Steven

Steven Member

I´ve also thought that the idea of putting a buffer in a fuzz face was crazy and I´ve always beliewed firmly in that a fuzz should run in a cheap battery for best results but now found that I actually like the Classic Fuzz better with the buffer on since that takes away the woofiness of the sound when using the neck pickup. And I´ve experimented with running it on a battery and running it with my VoodooLab PPII, both on 9volts and with some sag and I can say that I cant hear any differense between battery and PPII (and using the sag on the PPII sounds worse then running on 9 volts). So all in all I have to say that I like the abillity to run on external 9volts and the buffer is a very usefull addition to the regular FF circuit.

16. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

I'm definitely gonna have to check this pedal out. It's been on my radar since it's release but I've never gotten round to trying it. Can anyone compare it to other Si Fuzz Faces?... London Fuzz 2? DAM Meathead?
    Cheers,
    Xan :)