1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

MXR 5150 vs. Friedman Brown Eye overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KeyGuy, Sep 27, 2016.

1. KeyGuy

KeyGuy Member

How come the battle of the two brown "overdrives" does not exist here? Which is the better one?

2. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

Neither. They're both quality overdrives and both will do Van Halen at a perfectly acceptable level. If you've got the chops, and you've got the rest of the rig set up to do Eddie, either will get you there. At that point, it's a matter of the degree of mid and presence emphasis that you like.

drod1985 and lowpaygigs like this.
  3. voss451

voss451 Member

I can't say much for the sound quality but there is a comparison video on youtube:

In the end he said that if you already have the MXR, there's no real need to get the BE-OD. I find from the demos I've heard though that the BE-OD has a LOT more mid range than the 5150 pedal, so if that's what you're after, the BE-OD may be the better pedal.

4. davey77

davey77 Member

I wanna see the Bogner Ecstasy red vs the Friedman Brown eye!!!!

Renardm and blackba like this.
  5. voss451

voss451 Member

I have a Bogner Red and from what I can tell about the BE-OD, I'd say that the Red has a lot more tonal options but the Friedman has a LOT more gain on tap.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    deathrider817 and davey77 like this.
  6. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

I've got both a Bogner Red and a Friedman BE-OD. They're both great pedals. The BE-OD definitely sounds more like an actual Marshall from the 80s era, at least the JCM-800 and Silver Jubilee I used to own. As voss451 said, the BE-OD has significantly more gain on tap. I love the Red, but I always thought it didn't have nearly as much gain as everybody made it out to have. Even with the boost on and the boost gain maxed, it's still not as much gain as the BE-OD has at about 2:00 on the gain knob with the internal gain trim at 10:00. The Red definitely has more tonal variation possible, but then at the upper half of its gain range, those tonal difference begin not to exert nearly as much effect, and since it's essentially a higher gain pedal, that usually ends up being most of the time. A lot of folks use the Red as a Marshall-in-a-box, but while it's a great tone, it's really not a Marshall, especially in its mid character and highs. The Bogner, just like the amp it's named for, has a greater amount of harmonic content in the high end than a Marshall, something a lot of players refer to commonly as "sizzle", but at higher gain levels, it tends toward white noise rather easily, especially if the treble is past noon.

That said, the Bogner Red is great for tweaking on solo lead tones. You can dial it in very precisely. The BE-OD, with no knob for the mids, is more limited that way. Fortunately, while it's essentially one kind of lead tone, it's a very good tone, and one that really doesn't need a lot of tweaking.

Bottom line is that there is a great deal of overlap in what the two pedals can do, especially for higher gain applications. Whether or not they are redundant has a lot more to do with how much a given player would make use of the tweaking capabilities of the Red, and perhaps just how precisely he might need to capture the sound of a Marshall. Someone who uses the Red as a set-it-and-forget-it pedal might find the two redundant, whereas someone who regularly changes the pedal's settings and/or uses it for less-than-high gain might see a reason for keeping both. Someone who needs a high-quality high-gain drive pedal will find either of them very satisfying. Someone looking for maximum control and fine tuning would probably find the Red more to their liking, whereas someone looking specifically for Marshall high-gain tone exclusively would likely find the BE-OD a better choice.

Beto, rapaul76, voss451 and 3 others like this.
  7. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

If I had to pick one I'd pick the Friedman, wasn't a fan of the MXR one

davey77 likes this.
  8. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Those are like two pedals I have that compare to each other. A MICrunch Box and Wampler SLOstorion. Both sound almost identical outside of the feature set. Redundant to have both.

9. KeyGuy

KeyGuy Member

Thanks for the responses guys!

One question popped into my mind, is the BE-OD digital or analog?

10. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

I, too, would have liked to see a mid knob, but I'm kinda picky. With pedals that do have a mid knob, I commonly mod them to control the mids centered closer around 800Hz if they need it. Most center the Q a little too high in the upper mids like a typical tube screamer. The BE-OD is actually fairly even in the mids (the guitar is a mid-range-dominant instrument anyway). If you were going for mid-scooped Metallica, you'd definitely want an EQ to create that 'smiley face'. For solo purposes, it could stand to have about 2 to 4dB boost in the mids at 800Hz to really nail those 80s shredder solo tones; again, something an EQ would need to tailor. Without the benefit of an EQ, the pedal is, however, a really great compromise overall in where the tonal emphasis is placed, and you could certainly play a gig with it leaving your audience very happy.

jonthomas83 and The Lo Lands like this.
  11. KeyGuy

KeyGuy Member

The MXR5150 seems to have that 2-4db less mids based on the demo above. Or actually the 4k range is boosted and the body at 200-400hz is attenuated a bit. I can get the exact EQ curves if someone passes the same guitar recording through both of the stomps.

12. voss451

voss451 Member

I've been looking at the Palladium for a bit and was just waiting for the local guitar shop to get some in (or at the very least post them for sale on their website). Sadly, they finally posted them up and are selling for $449 CDN. That's $100 more than what I paid for my GSP1101 !! :confused: Because of the exchange rate, most gear prices have been pretty brutal over the past year or so. After shipping & taxes the BE-OD would be over $300 and an Amptweaker TightMetal Pro would be over $415. Finding cool pedals without spending a fortune is not an easy task to say the least.

rapaul76 likes this.
  13. voss451

voss451 Member

Bang on. For the past while, I've been waffling on whether or not to sell the Bogner Red and pick up the BE-OD mainly because it has a lot more gain. After a lot of tweaking and messing around with my other gear, I have a TON of high gain options between the MXR 5150, GSP1101, Pod X3 & Son Of Hyde pedals. That and I like using the Red with my bass rig as well as with guitar, so I think I'll end up keeping it for a while more unless something REALLY good comes up and I desperately need to unload a few pedals in order to get it.

ps: I find that using an od pedal like a Digitech Bad Monkey or a TS9 going into the Bogner gets much better results than the onboard boost button.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  14. voss451

voss451 Member

The only reason I ended up with the Bogner Red was because a friend of mine had just opened a shop (Sanford Magnetics Pickups - cheap plug.. ;)) and he had a used one that he sold me for a "can't say no" price. Comparatively speaking, both the MXR and Friedman both sell for around $275 CDN. It's the 15% tax on literally EVERYTHING that makes buying stuff sting just a little bit more, especially if it's expensive.

15. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Both nice pieces of gear and have a fair amount of overlap. The MXR is very versatile. It can do the ZZ Top La Grange sound to modern metal. The controls are really responsive. IMHO, it shines with modern sounds. It really compresses the signal nicely but keeps a lot of balls in the bottom and the top is nice and throaty. The Friedman is great, too. I think Dave really nailed a Marshall in a box sound -- being that JCM 800 tonal quality. It simply depends on what you want. The Friedman, IMHO, will not do the modern stuff as well. Courses for horses.

16. rapaul76

rapaul76 Member

I ended up ordering the AmpTweaker Tight Metal Jr because it was more affordable with the exchange rate. However, I have always loved the high gain Marshall sound and am really interested in the BE-OD. The AmpTweaker is a really great pedal but has that more modern scooped sound (to my ears anyway).

BenB123 and voss451 like this.
  17. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Please allow me to reassure you of your decision~ The Tightmetal Jr. will be the best and most powerful distortion pedal you've ever owned. Make sure to record lots of demos so you can hear what it sounds like in context. I purchased a TMpro unit, and even with a bashing drummer and too loud bassist, 6 or 7 strings , no matter where I fidgeted with all the knobs and switches, the tone and lovely midrange this thing was giving me was totally dynamic and professional.

BenB123 likes this.
  18. voss451

voss451 Member

I've been looking at possibly picking up a Tightmetal as well. It's about $50 cheaper than the Friedman and I think the mid range would be a bit more controllable on the TM.

19. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

20. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

What about it?